Gopher Softball 2019

I was at my daughter's HS game and didn't get to see game 1 vs. the Illini. Bummed it's not on demand. No box score or recap yet. 5-0 win sounds like an awesome pitching/defensive performance against a strong hitting team on the road.

A workwomanlike job by Fiser and no errors by the defense; I only recall one flyball putout by the Gopher outfield. However, I thought the offensive output pretty dismal. Brandner and Kemetmueller did great and drove in all 5 runs, but the team could easily have scored 7-10 runs given the IL weak pitching. Wiith any reasonable hitting from the lower half of the lineup, it would've been a cakewalk. Burns was mysteriously thrown out trying to steal third with Partain at the plate and ahead in the count. And later the Gophers blew a safety squeeze by plopping the bunt down right in front of the plate. The Gophers' young women look like really talented hitters, who aren't driven to hit much.

A workwomanlike job by Fiser and no errors by the defense; I only recall one flyball putout by the Gopher outfield. However, I thought the offensive output pretty dismal. Brandner and Kemetmueller did great and drove in all 5 runs, but the team could easily have scored 7-10 runs given the IL weak pitching. Wiith any reasonable hitting from the lower half of the lineup, it would've been a cakewalk. Burns was mysteriously thrown out trying to steal third with Partain at the plate and ahead in the count. And later the Gophers blew a safety squeeze by plopping the bunt down right in front of the plate. The Gophers' young women look like really talented hitters, who aren't driven to hit much.

Oh, so many experts. It must be nice.

It's too bad that it was mysterious to you. You clearly don't get the strategy. I loved it! It was a designed offensive play that was well executed at the right time with two outs.
Also, that was an excellent bunt on a terrible pitch! You say it was dropped right in front of home plate. That is exactly where it should be on a squeeze. The first baseman made in incredible glove flip play. If you bunt it further, it would have been an easier play for the defense. I loved the aggressive offense today!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

As much guff as you're getting on your comment :) , thank you for your reply. I'm getting a little more color on a good game I didn't get to see!

@85GSH , keep up the comments on game tactics. The more I learn about this game the more I love it.

DH tomorrow since there's weather coming on Sunday

It's too bad that it was mysterious to you. You clearly don't get the strategy. I loved it! It was a designed offensive play that was well executed at the right time with two outs.
Also, that was an excellent bunt on a terrible pitch! You say it was dropped right in front of home plate. That is exactly where it should be on a squeeze. The first baseman made in incredible glove flip play. If you bunt it further, it would have been an easier play for the defense. I loved the aggressive offense today!

I beg to differ. A better safety squeeze bunt would be a drag bunt between pitcher and first base forcing the infielder to make a longer throw.

Besides, if it was a safety squeeze bunt play, why bunt at a terrible pitch?

To 85GSH: It may have been a designed offensive play, but it was not well-executed and not at the right time either. There was a runner in scoring position with Partain hitting and ahead in the count. You don't take the bat out of your best all-around hitter with a runner on second base. You give Partain the chance to drive the run in.

Besides, if it was a safety squeeze bunt play, why bunt at a terrible pitch?
That is how a squeeze works. You have to make contact with the pitch. Not sure why you think it was a safety squeeze.

To 85GSH: It may have been a designed offensive play, but it was not well-executed and not at the right time either. There was a runner in scoring position with Partain hitting and ahead in the count. You don't take the bat out of your best all-around hitter with a runner on second base. You give Partain the chance to drive the run in.
With one out, that would have been true, but not with two.

That is how a squeeze works. You have to make contact with the pitch. Not sure why you think it was a safety squeeze.

The batter only has to make contact with the pitch if it's suicide squeeze, not a safety squeeze. If it was a suicide squeeze, than the runner on third base got a horribly late break from third. I know it was hard to tell what was happening with the runner on third because the camera work was bad; in fact, it was impossible even to see third base.

With one out, that would have been true, but not with two.

One of the cardinal rules of baseball/softball is that you never make the third out in an inning at third base, which is exactly what the Gophers chose to do, thus leaving Partain, who had 2 hits and a walk in the game, with the bat in her hand and ahead in the count. A dumb play. But Illinois made an equally dumb play in the 7th inning by trying to steal second when they were 5 runs behind. As opponents are quickly finding out, it's not smart to run on Burns, who is said to have the strongest of throwing arms.

One of the cardinal rules of baseball/softball is that you never make the third out in an inning at third base, which is exactly what the Gophers chose to do, thus leaving Partain, who had 2 hits and a walk in the game, with the bat in her hand and ahead in the count. A dumb play. But Illinois made an equally dumb play in the 7th inning by trying to steal second when they were 5 runs behind. As opponents are quickly finding out, it's not smart to run on Burns, who is said to have the strongest of throwing arms.
Obviously, the outcome wasn't good, and it's easy to criticize the decision since it turned out to be the wrong one. I'm sure there was something they saw in the defense that they thought would make it work. It was a very close play, and if it would have, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Chances are that we would have needed both Partain and Houlihan to get the run from second. I will still applaud most aggressive offence and trying to manufacture some runs vs. sitting on the bases and waiting for our hitting to produce. That's just my style.
You are certainly right that stealing on Burns is pretty futile.

The batter only has to make contact with the pitch if it's suicide squeeze, not a safety squeeze. If it was a suicide squeeze, than the runner on third base got a horribly late break from third. I know it was hard to tell what was happening with the runner on third because the camera work was bad; in fact, it was impossible even to see third base.
Agreed. But, if that first baseman's play was anything less than extraordinary, we would have scored.

Tuned in just in time to see Brandner crush a homerun almost to the street in left (top of the 8th). Holy crap.

I love how Brandner takes a little drop step to towards left when pitched in the inside edge then basically aims for the left field fence. Text book.

I've only seen one inning of the first two games. But going by the box scores, the bottom 4 of the order is 1 for 20 with 2 walks in two games. Ouch.

Is there any Flosports subscribers out there who have figured out how to to stream the second game?

Is there any Flosports subscribers out there who have figured out how to to stream the second game?

Flosports not working for me either. They are very inconsistent when start times are changed. That's the downside of using them instead of the BTN2GO Plus subscription where it's being streamed just fine right now.

Flosports not working for me either. They are very inconsistent when start times are changed. That's the downside of using them instead of the BTN2GO Plus subscription where it's being streamed just fine right now.

Yeah.

If they did what they are supposed to do I think I could do with just Flosports. But if I face the facts, if I really want to be covered I need both Flosports and BTN+ :(

I'm looking at Michigan's schedule. They don't play any of MN, NW or WI. Bogus. At least they play IL on the road. Hoping Ohio State can give them a little competition. They could easily sweep the regular season.

Yeah.

If they did what they are supposed to do I think I could do with just Flosports. But if I face the facts, if I really want to be covered I need both Flosports and BTN+ :(
Won't pay for Flosports under any circumstances. Based on what I've seen, they're horrendously overpriced for what you get and are extremely spotty in their consistency.

Good to see the ladies bounce back decisively after dropping one they could have won. Sitting at 8-1 in conference isn't a bad place to be.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Won't pay for Flosports under any circumstances. Based on what I've seen, they're horrendously overpriced for what you get and are extremely spotty in their consistency.

Good to see the ladies bounce back decisively after dropping one they could have won. Sitting at 8-1 in conference isn't a bad place to be.

I am interested to see the RPI impact.

Price is not so bad for me, as I use it for softball, volleyball and hockey, and I need it for women's hockey away games against UMD, Bemidji, St Cloud and Mankato.

But the spotty consistency is a killer.

Price is not so bad for me, as I use it for softball, volleyball and hockey, and I need it for women's hockey away games against UMD, Bemidji, St Cloud and Mankato.

But the spotty consistency is a killer.
The consistency (or lack thereof) is my biggest issue...I stick with BTN-plus, which is all I really need.

The consistency (or lack thereof) is my biggest issue...I stick with BTN-plus, which is all I really need.

Terrible consistency. For example, the Michigan/Indiana Sunday game doesn't even show up as an option in FloSoftball while the Minnesota/Illinois Sunday game is still listed. I mean, c'mon, how hard is it to link the schedule to BTN when people are paying for it. That said, I do like FloSoftball for all the non-D1 softball stuff they provide.

Top Bottom