Gopher Softball 2019

Is there a rule in the Big Ten that if the temp is below a certain amount that they can’t play?

The Purdue #1 pitcher looks like an upgrade from Maryland. Hopefully we can get the bats rolling

I believe it has to be at least 28 degrees at first pitch [above zero, a not irrelevant distinction in MN] for a game to start. In 2018 MN played a Saturday home doubleheader with IL at 32 degrees, as I recall. The Sunday game was cancelled because it hadn't exceeded +28 at game time. Purdue tends to have good pitching. Not long ago they had a very good left-hander named Lily something-or-other. Unfortunately (for her), she didn't have much run support. I always thought it was too bad MN didn't have a pitcher of her caliber to go with Groenewegen.

I believe it has to be at least 28 degrees at first pitch

I think you're correct, although I believe they use the "Real Feel" calculation instead of the actual temp. So if it's 33 degrees but the wind is howling, making it feel like 25, they won't play.

Based on the current forecast for Sat with 15 mph winds, windchill will be way below 28 degrees. Gophs need to figure out how to get that game in so they don't get screwed in the standings at season end.

Based on the current forecast for Sat with 15 mph winds, windchill will be way below 28 degrees. Gophs need to figure out how to get that game in so they don't get screwed in the standings at season end.

High of 48 on Sunday. Let’s play two!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would she be gone? Is this wishful thinking on your part? Or based on details?

A ton of talent on this team. Jamie does not fit the culture that Coyle is trying to bring to U athletics. She is trying to fake the funk right now. She is a tyrant and a dictator. She is a D2 player and mid-major coach who is used to driving kids to death to get the best out of them. These players are driven legitimate D1 athletes who are already internally motivated who do not need to be treated like ****. While that can be successful, Coyle does not want this in our department. Talk to almost all the other coaches and you get a completely different vibe. Twitter and Instagram is all smiles. They are winning in spite of Jamie. A leadership change is exactly what this team needs.

Last edited:

A ton of talent on this team. Jamie does not fit the culture that Coyle is trying to bring to U athletics. She is trying to fake the funk right now. She is a tyrant and a dictator. She is a D2 player and mid-major coach who is used to driving kids to death to get the best out of them. These players are driven legitimate D1 athletes who are already internally motivated who do not need to be treated like ****. While that can be successful, Coyle does not want this in our department. Talk to almost all the other coaches and you get a completely different vibe. Twitter and Instagram is all smiles. They are winning in spite of Jamie. A leadership change is exactly what this team needs.

I respectfully disagree. Last weekend I got a chance to talk with Tony Abbatine who is a sports psychologist that works with the USA team, UCLA and Texas softball teams. When listening to him it sounds like all of the programs have the same issues. The players feel like they are being pushed to hard. The coach is trying to get the most out of each player and has to balance players being comfortable or players improving. I don’t think Jamie is perfect but I believe she is a good coach.

A lot of drama and injuries on the team right now. They need to hold it together. Has Trachsel been offered an extension? She might be gone regardless...

That have to do with the players that didn't travel on the spring break trip or what?

I respectfully disagree. Last weekend I got a chance to talk with Tony Abbatine who is a sports psychologist that works with the USA team, UCLA and Texas softball teams. When listening to him it sounds like all of the programs have the same issues. The players feel like they are being pushed to hard. The coach is trying to get the most out of each player and has to balance players being comfortable or players improving. I don’t think Jamie is perfect but I believe she is a good coach.

Fair enough. I agree that coaches have to push players. There is a line between pushing and being abusive. I believe that she crosses the line. I know plenty of players at plenty of programs. Jamie is excessive.

Fair enough. I agree that coaches have to push players. There is a line between pushing and being abusive. I believe that she crosses the line. I know plenty of players at plenty of programs. Jamie is excessive.
I hope Larry Csonka is right and you are wrong Como. I think that winning can solve a lot of problems. The bar is set high so we shall see. Fiser is the key to it all this year.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

I have no inside info or opinion on this topic. Neither have I met any of the MN players or coaches. But where I come from you can't make allegations like yours without giving specific details to back them up. For example: In what ways are MN players "treated like ****"? From all the other coaches, "you get a completely different vibe. Twitter and Instagram is all smiles." What do these quotes from you mean, in specific terms? [Aren't adults smart enough to take Twitter and Instagram with a grain of salt to begin with?] "They are winning in spite of Jamie." I have no idea if this is true. Before I believe it, I for one need some facts to go on. Please supply some.

spot on

spot on

Vague generalities. Until you and ComoGopher give some specifics, I see no reason to put any credence in it. However, I'm ready to be convinced....

Here's your choice:

Team 1:
Elite athletes mostly
Happy go lucky
"Player" coach, friends with players
Entitled/Soft, an assortment of talented individuals
Great at individual strengths, weak on most items requiring very hard work, attention to detail and precision

Team 2:
Elite athletes mostly
Determined, gritty - fun when winning
Tough demanding coach, high standards and rules, not friends with players
Mentally tough, players bond together because of tough conditions endured in practice, high standards, etc.
Proficiency and attention detail in all facets of the game.

I'll pick team 2, the type of model that long-term successful organizations in competitive environments have been built throughout history including sports, military, competitive business, etc. Team 1 types might hit lightning in a bottle on occasion but have a high probability of failure under adverse conditions.

Some of the posters on this forum imply that elite D1 athletes should be pampered as a way to achieve greatness. I couldn't disagree more as that's a path to mediocrity.

Here's your choice:

Team 2:
Elite athletes mostly
Determined, gritty - fun when winning
Tough demanding coach, high standards and rules, not friends with players
Mentally tough, players bond together because of tough conditions endured in practice, high standards, etc.
Proficiency and attention detail in all facets of the game.

I'll pick team 2, the type of model that long-term successful organizations in competitive environments have been built throughout history including sports, military, competitive business, etc. Team 1 types might hit lightning in a bottle on occasion but have a high probability of failure under adverse conditions.

Some of the posters on this forum imply that elite D1 athletes should be pampered as a way to achieve greatness. I couldn't disagree more as that's a path to mediocrity.

I do not think athletes should be pampered. Far from it. I will pick team #2 as well. You can do it without being a toxic leader. I think Jamie can and will be successful but is that how we want it done at our university? Everything you said about team #2 is what I want our team to be. You can do that without treating people poorly. Good leaders know how to motivate people without resorting to bullying and intimidation.

I do not think athletes should be pampered. Far from it. I will pick team #2 as well. You can do it without being a toxic leader. I think Jamie can and will be successful but is that how we want it done at our university? Everything you said about team #2 is what I want our team to be. You can do that without treating people poorly. Good leaders know how to motivate people without resorting to bullying and intimidation.

How about some specifics instead of vague generalities? Otherwise, the perception is that you have a personal axe to grind.

How about some specifics instead of vague generalities? Otherwise, the perception is that you have a personal axe to grind.

The only Axe I have to grind is the one we got from Wisconsin in November. This has been going on since Jamie got here. This is nothing new. If I was sitting down with you face to face Panthadad or Hrothgar and knew who you were and what your connection was to the program, I might be happy to give some examples but not on a message board. As for me, I hope the ladies have an awesome season and I cheer for them to win every game.

The only Axe I have to grind is the one we got from Wisconsin in November. This has been going on since Jamie got here. This is nothing new. If I was sitting down with you face to face Panthadad or Hrothgar and knew who you were and what your connection was to the program, I might be happy to give some examples but not on a message board. As for me, I hope the ladies have an awesome season and I cheer for them to win every game.

Then I'm not sure why you brought it up. You stated things are really bad behind the scenes and Jamie needs to go, but then clam up about specifics because this is a message board? Did you think everyone would jump on and agree that she needs to go after your initial post?

She hasn't even been the coach for two full seasons. And you also said she doesn't fit what Coyle wants from the department, yet he's the one that hired her. I don't know any AD that is going to fire a head coach he just hired after only two years unless there are some serious NCAA violations or actual criminality going on.

The way you make it sound, we're on the verge of a full-on player revolt. If that happens, then Coyle could possibly make a move. But again, you won't provide specifics.

That leaves us only with this: Como doesn't like Jamie and wants her gone. Okay, fantastic.

Speaking for myself, I'm Looking forward to the rest of the 2019 campaign and just leaving it at that...

I'm Hrothgar. I have no connection to the Gophers softball program whatsoever, except for being a fan who watches every game. Who am I? I'm a retired teacher and a season ticket holder. I suggest that if you have no facts to support your scurrilous claims about the Gophers' head coach or if you have such facts and lack the courage to state them in public, then you should leave off your generalized claims and let the U Athletic Dept. deal with the matter.

ComoGopher - I get the feeling we have probably met in real life and don’t know it....yet.

The administration asked them (the players) to give Jamie a chance to prove she could lead the team in a similar fashion (to the previous coach). After the season there were a lot of changes that took place behind the scenes. The players were again asked by the administration to give the new approach another chance. They ALL did that - it may have worked for some but not for everyone.

Inside parenthesis are my additions for context. A little hard to figure out if MRJ or Grudgeguy posted this awhile back. I am guessing Grudgeguy after the last couple posts. Basically, Jamie has been directed to change her ways and hasn't really done so. Do I want her gone? No. I want her to wake up and get with the program. I think she is good at teaching softball and can be a great coach if she figures out the leadership part. I want her to succeed because I want the team to win. I will drop the topic if she quits with the toxic leadership style.

I'm Hrothgar. I have no connection to the Gophers softball program whatsoever, except for being a fan who watches every game. Who am I? I'm a retired teacher and a season ticket holder. I suggest that if you have no facts to support your scurrilous claims about the Gophers' head coach or if you have such facts and lack the courage to state them in public, then you should leave off your generalized claims and let the U Athletic Dept. deal with the matter.

Hrothgar, courage has nothing to do with it.

I thought this message board was a forum for fans to chat abour their favorite Gopher team, not a forum for family members and acquaintances of players to bitch about the coach. Silly me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Inside parenthesis are my additions for context. A little hard to figure out if MRJ or Grudgeguy posted this awhile back. I am guessing Grudgeguy after the last couple posts. Basically, Jamie has been directed to change her ways and hasn't really done so. Do I want her gone? No. I want her to wake up and get with the program. I think she is good at teaching softball and can be a great coach if she figures out the leadership part. I want her to succeed because I want the team to win. I will drop the topic if she quits with the toxic leadership style.
In other words, she's not just like Allister and some of the players (and definitely yourself) don't like it.

Noted.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Can the ladies get another sweep this weekend? It would be nice to start the B1G season 6-0. It will interesting to see the lineup. I want to see Denhartog open up her first home series at JSC with some bombs.

Can the ladies get another sweep this weekend? It would be nice to start the B1G season 6-0. It will interesting to see the lineup. I want to see Denhartog open up her first home series at JSC with some bombs.

Yep. I'm excited for the opener. Hoping we can escape a little early Friday for the game.

The wind will be blowing in pretty good on Friday/Saturday, so I'll be looking for some extra base gap shots from Partain, Houlihan and company. The big bombs might come Sunday.

As for the lineup, hoping to see all-hands-on-deck again this year (like against Texas when everything came together).

Yep. I'm excited for the opener. Hoping we can escape a little early Friday for the game.

The wind will be blowing in pretty good on Friday/Saturday, so I'll be looking for some extra base gap shots from Partain, Houlihan and company. The big bombs might come Sunday.

As for the lineup, hoping to see all-hands-on-deck again this year (like against Texas when everything came together).

Figure the ladies will receive an extra boost in energy from finally being home. On top of that, they almost always answer the bell when they play at home, so I figure we'll see a pretty spirited three games from the Gophers. This is where all those early games against ranked opposition come in handy. Regardless of how good Purdue's pitching and/or offense are, it won't be any more challenging than what they've already faced.

Should be a good series for the ladies I would think.

Hrothgar, courage has nothing to do with it.

Yeah, maybe not so much courage, more like intellectual honesty. If you have specific beefs, state them straight out & with examples. Otherwise let it be and the rest of us will enjoy the players and staff performing as well as they can on and off the field.

On the recent 9 game road trip, Fiser pitched 38 innings, Smith pitched 21.1, and Bailey pitched .2. Anyone have any inside info regarding the status of Lowary, Bailey, and Brandt?

Top Bottom