Gopher Softball 2019

He's giving a good inch or two outside the actual zone.

You're right; need to adjust. Leddy doesn't throw hard, but her change-up has everybody all fouled up.

Need to figure that out third time though the order.

Leddy hit 67 on the gun. Fiser hit 70. Vargas 65. Fiser has elite speed, but no one was doing much with Leddy fastball either. Errors and walks were the difference. Gophers kept the pressure on the defense.

Last edited:

Leddy hit 67 on the gun. Fiser hit 70. Vargas 65. Fiser has elite speed, but no one was doing much with Leddy fastball either. Errors and walks were the difference. Gophers kept the pressure on the defense.

A couple of miles of hour makes a huge difference. Leddy doesn't throw any harder than anybody else the Gophers have faced all season. She's about the same as every other pitcher in the Big 10 in terms of velocity. And it wasn't her fastball that had the Gophers off balance, it was that change up. Without that, I'm sure they would have timed her better.

Anyway, the bottom line is the Gophers got the win.

Fiser is outstanding, so that's a plus for the Gophers. That being said, the gophers (this season) and historically in important past NCAA tournament games have really struggled to generate any offensive production whatsoever against strong opponents. I think their lack of offense is going to come back to haunt them at some point this weekend or next weekend since Minnesota is really only 4 bats deep, although I would LOVE to eat my words on this one.

For example, the Gophers scored 1 run vs Ole Miss and got blanked by Alabama, Arizona, Florida this year. Those are just some big games that come to mind where the offense produced literally nothing. That was also this team's biggest issue against Alabama two years ago in the Regional Final. I think the world of Fiser, but she isn't going to be able to put goose-eggs, or 1/2 run outings across the board every single game, and she might need to for this team to keep moving deep into the tournament.

I hope you eat your words.

These announcers are over the top for Georgia. By listening to them it would seem like Georgia is the number 1 team in the tournament and to boot maybe to good to be in the NCAA field. I guess the SEC bias is for all sports not just football.

Announcers have been brutal. Today to start the bottom of the first:
Announcer-“first up for Minnesota is partain. Only went 1 for 2 last night against NDSU, but still has her average above .400.”
What? Lol
I’m now watching on mute

The Gophers missed a great opportunity with that pop-up bunt. It's important to come through in those situations, and probably even more so, today, as the colder weather should limit the home runs.

These announcers are over the top for Georgia. By listening to them it would seem like Georgia is the number 1 team in the tournament and to boot maybe to good to be in the NCAA field. I guess the SEC bias is for all sports not just football.

You're right. I'm tired of hearing about Georgia. One Gopher-related item that has been drilled into my mind is that DenHartog played football until the 6th grade...I think that will get mentioned every game.

Mute is a permanent condition unless Erika is in the house :eek:

It's frustrating, but the Gophers obviously can't win if they don't score any runs.

Same old, same old with this team. And it is getting old. Find a way to get it done. Otherwise, the season will be over in the next day or so.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Through six innings, six Gophers and six Bulldogs have struck out -- five looking for the Gophers, and five swinging for the Bulldogs.

Just not enough threats at the plate on this team. Over half the lineup is under .250 for the season. Basically when a pitcher gets past the Gophers top 4 they can take a little breath and relax.

Same story every year. Can't score against good opponents. No excuses this year. You had the home field, you had crap weather. Probably not as bad a choke as Volleyball, but still disappointing.

Through six innings, six Gophers and six Bulldogs have struck out -- five looking for the Gophers, and five swinging for the Bulldogs.
Pretty much says it all. Gophers watching while the other team is batting.

Pretty much says it all. Gophers watching while the other team is batting.

Yep. The Gophers decided to start swinging at some 1st pitches in the 6th inning, and the Georgia pitcher had already decided to change her strategy by that time.

They have some life, but another huge mistake. Hopefully, they can overcome it.

Hope Brandner CRUSHES a walk off homerun to beat the Georgia Bulldogs. Gophers onto the Regional finals.

Hope, the smart one, sits on the change and Bam! We'll see you tomorrow!

So just so you all know I have a humorous side about all this, I screamed at the tv as Hope hit it "I NEVER DOUBTED YOU".

We came up big with it all on the line. They deserve the warm dinner and night off. That alone way increases our chances tomorrow/Monday. Georgia has to play again and it is going to be cold...

Pressure should be off a little bit now and hopefully it translates to more success at the plate moving forward. Just seems like there were too many times in these first 2 games where the ladies are swinging at pitches that you aren't gonna be able to do anything with and making it easy on pitchers. Gotta have a little better plan at the plate and be able to capitalize on some of those mistakes like Brandner finally did with the changeup to end things.

Top Bottom