Gopher Softball 2019

Score

I'm looking at Michigan's schedule. They don't play any of MN, NW or WI. Bogus. At least they play IL on the road. Hoping Ohio State can give them a little competition. They could easily sweep the regular season.

They beat Indiana 3-2 Saturday and IU just scored 4 in the top of four to take a 6-4 lead. They don’t seem to be a team that can sweep the regular season. Time will tell.

They beat Indiana 3-2 Saturday and IU just scored 4 in the top of four to take a 6-4 lead. They don’t seem to be a team that can sweep the regular season. Time will tell.

Yeah, I'm hoping Indiana can hold on today. Skeptical that Goodin is strong enough to outduel Beaubien the rest of the game. Trainer seems to be slipping lately...though some of that could be due to facing decent teams recently vs. their early weak schedule.

Report cards are out. Gophers remain at 8. Huge jump for Michigan. Looks like 7 probable BIG teams for the NCAA tourney.

8 Minnesota Big Ten 27-10-0 10-6-0 14-4-0 3-0-0 0-0-0
15 Michigan Big Ten 27-10-0 6-4-0 10-6-0 11-0-0 0-0-0
17 Northwestern Big Ten 29-7-0 8-4-0 17-2-0 4-1-0 0-0-0
35 Wisconsin Big Ten 30-5-0 10-3-0 15-2-0 5-0-0 0-0-0
36 Illinois Big Ten 24-11-0 7-2-0 10-5-0 7-4-0 0-0-0
39 Indiana Big Ten 28-13-0 6-8-0 16-3-0 6-2-0 0-0-0
41 Ohio St. Big Ten 23-11-0 5-5-0 13-5-0 5-1-0 0-0-0
81 Purdue Big Ten 27-14-0 1-6-0 19-6-0 7-2-0 0-0-0
88 Maryland Big Ten 18-19-0 3-8-0 10-5-0 5-6-0 0-0-0
91 Iowa Big Ten 15-18-0 2-7-0 13-7-0 0-4-0 0-0-0
99 Rutgers Big Ten 17-19-0 3-10-0 13-6-0 1-3-0 0-0-0
100 Nebraska Big Ten 13-22-0 2-9-0 8-7-0 3-6-0 0-0-0
133 Penn St. Big Ten 19-20-0 5-6-0 12-9-0 2-5-0 0-0-0
160 Michigan St. Big Ten 14-22-0 2-9-0 8-10-0 4-3-0 0-0-0

Northwestern dropped 3 spots by beating tar out of Nebraska. Geez. Wonder if the same could happen to the Gophs after playing both Nebraska and Iowa.

Wonder if the same could happen to the Gophs after playing both Nebraska and Iowa.

Not to mention SDSU (#103) and Michigan State (#160). Will be interesting to see if and how many games get cancelled this week.

Not to mention SDSU (#103) and Michigan State (#160). Will be interesting to see if and how many games get cancelled this week.
Our conference is getting better but is still not good.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Our conference is getting better but is still not good.

In 2020 I think the Gophers should start playing February & March softball games in the Vikings stadium indoors, the way the baseball team has done.

No game tomorrow. We need the Vikings stadium for April games too. :)

For season ticket holders, it's a ripoff not even trying to reschedule the SDSU game. That's a game season ticketholders have already paid for but can't redeem. Is protecting the RPI more important than the enjoyment of playing and seeing the sport? But I guess that's the fate of so-called minor sports, as when Rutgers didn't bother to show up for (or threatened not to be bothered with) a weekend baseball series a couple of years ago or Gophers volleyball cancelled a DI match last fall because it was deemed "too hot" to play.

For season ticket holders, it's a ripoff not even trying to reschedule the SDSU game. That's a game season ticketholders have already paid for but can't redeem. Is protecting the RPI more important than the enjoyment of playing and seeing the sport? But I guess that's the fate of so-called minor sports, as when Rutgers didn't bother to show up for (or threatened not to be bothered with) a weekend baseball series a couple of years ago or Gophers volleyball cancelled a DI match last fall because it was deemed "too hot" to play.

Has nothing to do with RPI. SDSU has a 25-10 record. It would be beneficial to beat them. Easy to say "reschedule the game." Have you checked the remaining schedules for both teams?? I have. There simply aren't any dates that would work. Both teams have upcoming midweek games and both teams play over the weekends. AND you MUST give the STUDENT athletes mandatory days off.

Has nothing to do with RPI. SDSU has a 25-10 record. It would be beneficial to beat them. Easy to say "reschedule the game." Have you checked the remaining schedules for both teams?? I have. There simply aren't any dates that would work. Both teams have upcoming midweek games and both teams play over the weekends. AND you MUST give the STUDENT athletes mandatory days off.
I don't feel ripped off.

Really?

$$$$

Your paying how much for a season ticket? Still a good deal.

Your paying how much for a season ticket? Still a good deal.

Yes, the price is good even for two of us, as is the entertainment and the play on the field. The rub is that we're willing to drive 170 miles roundtrip to see the games and take a chance that they won't be declared rained out or snowed out or frozen out, all of which have happened. Too bad the NCAA has skewed the softball & baseball season to benefit the SEC and PAC 12 warm-weather programs. None of that can be by accident, and the northern schools, especially the BIG ten, take no strong stand on the issue.

I'm surprised we haven't heard anything on postponing/cancelling the MSU series this weekend. Cold, snow and wind all day tomorrow and still cold and windy remainder of the weekend. It's been a back luck spring so far for the Gophs home schedule (Purdue series was frosty).

I'm surprised we haven't heard anything on postponing/cancelling the MSU series this weekend. Cold, snow and wind all day tomorrow and still cold and windy remainder of the weekend. It's been a back luck spring so far for the Gophs home schedule (Purdue series was frosty).

I see that MSU has a home game against Michigan on Tuesday so that probably rules out playing a game on Monday. Perhaps a Sunday double header, or is that wishful thinking?

Too bad the NCAA has skewed the softball & baseball season to benefit the SEC and PAC 12 warm-weather programs. None of that can be by accident, and the northern schools, especially the BIG ten, take no strong stand on the issue.

A coach once told me that the schedule will never change because the schedule fits perfectly with ESPN, the SEC network, etc. Something about the programming window, post football... or something like that. Depressing.

Looks like they are still going to TRY to get all three games in. From Gophers softball twitter:
Minnesota Softball

Verified account

@GopherSoftball
2m2 minutes ago
More
The #Gophers have postponed Friday's game against Michigan State. As of now we play at 2 p.m. on Saturday with a doubleheader on Sunday starting at 11 a.m. Follow along with our Twitter all weekend to stay up-to-date on any time/game changes.

Might be better for the RPI is one or two aren't played:rolleyes:
It might help RPI, but hurts us in the Big10 championship. If we tie with a team for number of losses, but we play fewer games, we lose the win percentage.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It might help RPI, but hurts us in the Big10 championship. If we tie with a team for number of losses, but we play fewer games, we lose the win percentage.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Seeing how Michigan doesn't play any of the other top 4 teams (MN, NW, MI, WI), a regular season championship might be a long shot anyhow. With Indiana turning out to be overrated, I hope that Ohio State or Illinois can take a few games from Michigan. Their other series are/were against BG10 cellar dwellers.

FloSoftball has had a few days to prepare and they have two games on their schedule for tomorrow. Although one game says noon ct and the other says 1ct. I wonder if I'll be able to watch both games ;)

FloSoftball has had a few days to prepare and they have two games on their schedule for tomorrow. Although one game says noon ct and the other says 1ct. I wonder if I'll be able to watch both games ;)
If your in the metro, why not just go to the game

Forecast for upper 40s with sun and light breeze from the east tomorrow. It should be pretty comfortable at the Jane. Looking forward to Brandner and DenHartog taking advantage of those light easterly winds and aiming for the big M on the football complex wall!

Lower half of the order has been struggling a bit this season but Arneson is a player I have some confidence in when she comes up in a key situation.

Erika Smyth got such a kick out of Partain's blast that she let out a guffaw with huge distortion in her microphone. Erika did a pretty darn fine job today doing the color commentary :clap:

Has anybody said what's happening with Jensen? Medical redshirt? Back for the playoffs?

Lower half of the order has been struggling a bit this season but Arneson is a player I have some confidence in when she comes up in a key situation.

Erika Smyth got such a kick out of Partain's blast that she let out a guffaw with huge distortion in her microphone. Erika did a pretty darn fine job today doing the color commentary :clap:

Has anybody said what's happening with Jensen? Medical redshirt? Back for the playoffs?

Turned on the broadcast late (couldn't get to the game because of taxes and The Masters). Didn't know the color announcer was Erika Smyth. She has a great announcing voice and hope she does more.

Turned on the broadcast late (couldn't get to the game because of taxes and The Masters). Didn't know the color announcer was Erika Smyth. She has a great announcing voice and hope she does more.

Glad Erika has stayed close to the program. I know she was immensely popular during her playing days and having her on the broadcasts is definitely a big plus. Her insights/enthusiasm is a fun listen. Like you, I hope she continues to do more games in the future.

Pretty good sweep for the ladies against MSU today. Would've liked to have given Amber a bit more rest, but Syd was getting cuffed around a bit in game two, so Amber had to put out the fire.

Offensively, the ladies hit the ball all over the place. I don't know what their collective slugging percentage was for the day, but I'm guessing it was exceptionally high. Also was really hoping Emily Hansen would get her first hit. She put on a couple of really good swings, but couldn't find a gap anywhere.

Wednesday in Madtown against the Badgers should be interesting.

Top Bottom