Gopher Softball 2019

I'm curious why Smith didn't make an appearance in the circle this weekend. I was actually wondering if she would start the Ole Miss game early Saturday after Fiser pitched late night Friday versus UCF.

I'm curious why Smith didn't make an appearance in the circle this weekend. I was actually wondering if she would start the Ole Miss game early Saturday after Fiser pitched late night Friday versus UCF.
She is hurt. I hope she can pitch some meaningful innings this year.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

If I recall correctly, Smith was also injured last year. Is this a recurring injury? If yes, not good news. They definitely need solid starts from a pitcher besides Fiser. Not sure who will fill that need this year.

I was not at the games this past weekend and I did not have access to their televised games(s). While keeping an eye on the Live Stats, it just appeared they were picking up where they left off from last year. Which is very disheartening. Not able to produce runs against teams they should be. The bats were once again absent during their first loss of the season. They should have beaten Ole Miss.

With Jensen as lead off batter, are they having her swing away more this season and try to become a more all around hitter? Also, can anybody speak on Arneson's offense? I just feel she has really struggled at the plate over the years.

Here's hoping their pitching improves and their offense power returns starting next weekend.

If I recall correctly, Smith was also injured last year. Is this a recurring injury? If yes, not good news. They definitely need solid starts from a pitcher besides Fiser. Not sure who will fill that need this year.

I was not at the games this past weekend and I did not have access to their televised games(s). While keeping an eye on the Live Stats, it just appeared they were picking up where they left off from last year. Which is very disheartening. Not able to produce runs against teams they should be. The bats were once again absent during their first loss of the season. They should have beaten Ole Miss.

With Jensen as lead off batter, are they having her swing away more this season and try to become a more all around hitter? Also, can anybody speak on Arneson's offense? I just feel she has really struggled at the plate over the years.

Here's hoping their pitching improves and their offense power returns starting next weekend.
I think Smith has the same injury that limited her last year but I could be wrong. Lowary has an injury as well, is not pitching a lot of innings and will probably be relief only. Bailey is only a sophomore and maybe she can get going. I think it will be up to Brandt and Smith to provide some rest for Fiser.

As far as Jensen goes, she hit over .400 last year so I would be cautious about trying to change too much. How much pop is a drop of 50 points worth? We need her on base. She had 25 Ks last year and only 17 BBs. I think I would try to work on the BB/K ratio. She also hit much better out of the 9 hole than she did leading off last year. We shall see how this season shapes up for her. The new hitting coach has experience with slappers.

A lot of girls including Arneson are battling nagging injuries. This was mentioned in a previous post.

I sense a lot of problems in reading these posts: 1. The Gophers write positively of having all 5 pitchers back, but if 2 are injured and 1 is an unproven sophomore how good is that? 2. They've scheduled a top list of opponents, but they haven't hit or scored runs against top teams the last 3 or 4 years. The Mississippi game indicated that that trend remains. 3. How is it that the team roster is filled with "nagging injuries" when the season is only one weekend old? I see a mounting list of losses to good teams, which will be deflating. Hopefully, I'm wrong. Somebody please correct my gloomy attitude.

I sense a lot of problems in reading these posts: 1. The Gophers write positively of having all 5 pitchers back, but if 2 are injured and 1 is an unproven sophomore how good is that? 2. They've scheduled a top list of opponents, but they haven't hit or scored runs against top teams the last 3 or 4 years. The Mississippi game indicated that that trend remains. 3. How is it that the team roster is filled with "nagging injuries" when the season is only one weekend old? I see a mounting list of losses to good teams, which will be deflating. Hopefully, I'm wrong. Somebody please correct my gloomy attitude.
Only you can fix your crappy attitude.
Injuries don't typically happen in games. They happen while cramming enough training into a couple months preparing for the season.
Last year was worse.
I can also tell you that we played WAY better this year opening weekend than we did the first two weekends last year.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Only you can fix your crappy attitude.
Injuries don't typically happen in games. They happen while cramming enough training into a couple months preparing for the season.
Last year was worse.
I can also tell you that we played WAY better this year opening weekend than we did the first two weekends last year.

So at what point is a team doing too much in practice?

I don't know the answer to that, and I'm sure a lot of thought is spent on that question. It probably depends on each player's durability and what they do in the offseason to stay at some level of condition. I'm no doctor, but I would think some things you can't do much about, such as shin splints, concussions and old high school injuries.
I know that, when a player said their arm hurt, they were not allowed to throw, and even got punished if they were caught throwing.

Decent amount could be attributed to practicing in dome = stiffer muscles from colder temperature and bad turf vs girls in the south able to be outside

Lineup for Tennessee:

Jensen CF
Partain 2B
Houlihan RF
Brandner 1B
Kemmetmueller 3B
White DP
Arneson SS
Burns C
Brandt LF
Fiser P/Flex

Got the pregame on right now through my ESPN app on my ROKU....

Tough game ahead. GO GOPHERS!!!!

Surprised Tenn screwed that up, stole a run off double steal and got third

Not backing up first on the bunt probably gonna come back to bite for a run, gave up second base

Had some streaming difficulty after the 3 run home run by TN. Have the game back on.

Fielding error and then the entire team had a mental toughness collapse. They need to work on that as a team. Errors will happen, but they must remain MENTALLY TOUGH. Fiser was and is still pitching a great game.

They are still in this game. Need more than swinging away from some batters and striking out. Hopefully, the batting coach(es) can work on that.

Close game. Didn't look like that was a clean catch on the last strikeout though.

Ugh. 2 unearned runs on 2 bad 20-foot throws decide the game. Too bad. Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Back to back similar losses. Fiser is an outstanding pitcher no matter the outcome. The commentators were singing her praises too. However, she cannot do it alone.

Some how the coaches and the players need to figure out how to start turning these type of losses into wins. Each player brings something very positive to the table. Let's hope this team can start putting the pieces to the puzzle together. Winning can be infectious.

Fiser against Notre Dame or Florida State today? Any guesses? Think throwing her against ND pretty much guarantees one win but it also practically guarantees a loss against FSU. I don’t know. These are tough decisions.

Fiser against Notre Dame or Florida State today? Any guesses? Think throwing her against ND pretty much guarantees one win but it also practically guarantees a loss against FSU. I don’t know. These are tough decisions.

Notre Dame is a good but inconsistent team. They have wins over Washington and Okie State this year. No guarantees of anything against them. The Gophers should be happy to take a split today but 2-0 would be gravy. Fiser can beat either team with some run support. It will also be interesting to see who pitches fro ND and FSU against us. FSU also plays LSU and ND has Cal today.

You must be a Notre Dame fan! [emoji38]

I am pretty sure that Fiser pitched against both FSU and ND last year. We got swept by them both. That was an ugly 0-4 in the B1G/ACC challenge last year. It looks like FSU is throwing King. Will the Gophers see the freshman Kathryn Sandercock against FSU?

Looks like Fiser in the circle for the Gophers against ND today according to Twitter.

Gophers already up 4-0 in the first. Nice to get a hot start here.

Brandt with her first career dinger and the Gophers are up 7-0!

This must be baseball umpire. He's calling pitches down the middle of the plate at the belly button balls. He should read a softball rule book.

Top Bottom