Gopher Softball 2019

Agreed. And like our newest member to the board, I'm a bit surprised/disappointed in all this negative talk regarding recruiting.

I guess six straight NCAA Tournaments, four out of five Big Ten Tournament championships, one regular season Big 10 title and five straight years of 40-plus wins doesn't lead to much equity for some folks.

I think that folks want to raise the bar. We play in a bad conference compared to the two power conferences. It is really nice to win B1G tourney titles but disappointing losses in the regionals are getting to be the norm. This team has a lot of recent accomplishments that the program can be proud of but we are not a national power. Success breeds more fans and closer scrutiny. Questioning the quality of coaches and/or recruiting comes with the territory. We need an ACE pitcher in this next class if we want to compete with the big dogs. If Trachsel can't recruit another really good pitcher we will continue to have early exits in the post season.

I think that folks want to raise the bar. We play in a bad conference compared to the two power conferences. It is really nice to win B1G tourney titles but disappointing losses in the regionals are getting to be the norm. This team has a lot of recent accomplishments that the program can be proud of but we are not a national power. Success breeds more fans and closer scrutiny. Questioning the quality of coaches and/or recruiting comes with the territory. We need an ACE pitcher in this next class if we want to compete with the big dogs. If Trachsel can't recruit another really good pitcher we will continue to have early exits in the post season.

I can understand all of that (and like everybody else), I would love to be able to advance past regionals. With that said, coach Trachsel went out and stated unequivocally that this year's schedule is designed specifically to be able to host a regional. College softball is obviously extremely top heavy with the SEC and Pac-12 dominating just about everything. And there's also the political angle, which we saw first hand two years ago. I don't think it's a coincidence that our one Super Regional appearance occurred when we hosted a regional. As such, Trachsel has gone out and put together one of the toughest non-conference slates in the country, so they're doing what they need to on the scheduling front in order to host for this year.

As to the recruiting stuff, I agree about getting a stud pitcher. But I can't rag on her recruiting based on rankings. Remember, Allister didn't even recruit G as a pitcher at the start, that was just an added bonus. And she turned out to be one of the best in the country. In other words, I don't care about recruiting rankings. I want to actually see what they can do. If her recruits turn out not to be good enough, so be it. But I'm willing to at least give her and them the chance.

I also agree with all of that and what rugger14 said. I really believe that we have been just inches away from getting over that hump with the road blocks possibly just being the home field advantage. So, it isn't that we haven't been able to compete with some SEC and PAC teams when you consider the total point differential in the last two regionals.
Pitching certainly is key, and I really hope Lowary is healthy this year. She could be key to filling the gap between this year's junior and next year's freshman.
This year will be trial by fire, and hopefully the reward is worth the risk of the tough schedule. Either way, it's what everyone has been asking for and I'm excited about it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mr/Ms Gameday,
I can’t tell if you are a teenager or just a complete bonehead! If you are going to say something like that, have something to say that backs up your insightful comment. Also, spell her name correctly.
If you don’t have anything with substance to say, I’ll help you out. I’ve watched both Allister and Trachsel closely. Both are great coaches, but have completely different personalities. Allister was a bit casual. Trachsel is very technical, intense and demands a lot out of her players on a daily basis to strive for perfection. This requires a lot of mental toughness on the part of the players, which was a big change for the upperclassmen. Some couldn’t handle the change, but others are thriving on it.

Not a teenager, nor a bonehead. I'm entitled to an opinion just like you are. Keep name calling though Coach. You have players on the team who don't respect you, AND hitting has regressed significantly under your regime. Regime being the correct word as well. You still have yet to figure out how to recruit for a big time school either. I know a good coach when I see one. You're not there right now. I recommend talking with and learning from Hugh McCutcheon, Coach Golan, and Coach Frost, all fantastic and seasoned leaders for women's sports programs at the U.

Want my respect? Prove it. Take Allister's existing talent and win something...

Last edited:

Jeez. Calm down Gameday. There's about 0% chance a Gopher softball coach is on Gopherhole, so I wouldn't respond that way. Throwing out rhetoric such as "I know a good coach when I see one" without providing your own background or authority...well....I'll just stop right there.

Jeez. Calm down Gameday. There's about 0% chance a Gopher softball coach is on Gopherhole, so I wouldn't respond that way. Throwing out rhetoric such as "I know a good coach when I see one" without providing your own background or authority...well....I'll just stop right there.

I'm with you. Not only are the posts very "jerk like"...lol...but also factually challenged as well.

as in....Want my respect? Prove it. Take Allister's existing talent and win something...
They won the Big Ten tournament.

A couple comments and a question:
Gameday is right that the hitting dropped from 2017 to 2018. To be fair, there were several injuries that took starters out of a lot of games in 2018. Also, Jamie had very little time to try to assemble a good coaching staff, and I don’t think Cat really panned out. I am more optimistic about this year’s staff.
Gameday also said there are players that don’t respect the coach. I’m sure that is true, as I suspect Gameday has a personal connection to such player(s). I also know that some players really do respect her, even if there are some things that are handled more stringently than I might handle them. I hope that stuff works itself out. I do believe that the regime like intensity Gameday mentioned stems from the extreme pressure to win, which Jamie has put on herself, as well as pressure she may feel from Gopher fans.
So, my questions is, how are the fans going to FAIRLY measure the coach’s success and determine whether she is a good or bad coach? What is the timeline for making that determination? If she is only considered a good coach if we get to a superregional this year, does that mean there are 41 bad Power5 coaches out there every year?
As a side note, last year in Regionals, we lost to Washington by 3 runs. Washington beat Oregon by 4 and Oklahoma by 3. Oregon beat ASU by 5. We are still a very good team who can compete with many in the top 8. The girls just need to believe it and not let the games get too big in their heads. If the coach can instill some mental toughness to overcome doubt and fear (which killed us in 2017), we have a shot.

Gameday is right that the hitting dropped from 2017 to 2018. To be fair, there were several injuries that took starters out of a lot of games in 2018. Also, Jamie had very little time to try to assemble a good coaching staff, and I don’t think Cat really panned out. I am more optimistic about this year’s staff.
Gameday also said there are players that don’t respect the coach. I’m sure that is true, as I suspect Gameday has a personal connection to such player(s). I also know that some players really do respect her, even if there are some things that are handled more stringently than I might handle them. I hope that stuff works itself out. I do believe that the regime like intensity Gameday mentioned stems from the extreme pressure to win, which Jamie has put on herself, as well as pressure she may feel from Gopher fans.
So, my questions is, how are the fans going to FAIRLY measure the coach’s success and determine whether she is a good or bad coach? What is the timeline for making that determination? If she is only considered a good coach if we get to a superregional this year, does that mean there are 41 bad Power5 coaches out there every year?
As a side note, last year in Regionals, we lost to Washington by 3 runs. Washington beat Oregon by 4 and Oklahoma by 3. Oregon beat ASU by 5. We are still a very good team who can compete with many in the top 8. The girls just need to believe it and not let the games get too big in their heads. If the coach can instill some mental toughness to overcome doubt and fear (which killed us in 2017), we have a shot.

Meaningless numbers. Comparing scores like that in softball games is fruitless.

Meaningless numbers. Comparing scores like that in softball games is fruitless.

Maybe. Sort of like the RPI? Not that different. Just a different way of extrapolating odds of success against teams that might not have played each other.

So your point is Minnesota is basically as good as Oregon, Oklahoma and ASU? Ok.

So your point is Minnesota is basically as good as Oregon, Oklahoma and ASU? Ok.

Really? He's made a few pretty good posts and added some reason and balance to "Trachsel sucks" and you are focussing on that sentence in the middle? There is a lot more to that post than the sentence you picked out as "meaningless".

Really? He's made a few pretty good posts and added some reason and balance to "Trachsel sucks" and you are focussing on that sentence in the middle? There is a lot more to that post than the sentence you picked out as "meaningless".

Really? I was actually addressing his/hers side note. Not really interested in the "Trachsel Sucks" part of it.

Jamie is a little bit of a psycho. There was a near mutiny and the AD had to step in and outlaw things like mass punishment for the whole team when 1 player was a minute late for lifting. This is not basic training. This is not creating a program at NDSU or building a program at ISU. The team she inherited was ranked #1 in the nation the previous year and had upper-class leaders on the team. When she came in with her "my way or the highway" attitude and lack of respect for the team leaders it rubbed them the wrong way. She has no idea that leadership is an art and not a science. She might be able to teach softball but is she a leader? We shall see. Can she recruit a pitcher? Hasn't brought in one. Lowary is not the answer. Can she motivate a team? They had the B1G title in their pockets and lost to PSU at home. We will see what happens when Fiser graduates.

Not what I said. If you go back and read it, I said we can compete with some of the top 8 teams.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jamie is a little bit of a psycho. There was a near mutiny and the AD had to step in and outlaw things like mass punishment for the whole team when 1 player was a minute late for lifting. This is not basic training. This is not creating a program at NDSU or building a program at ISU. The team she inherited was ranked #1 in the nation the previous year and had upper-class leaders on the team. When she came in with her "my way or the highway" attitude and lack of respect for the team leaders it rubbed them the wrong way. She has no idea that leadership is an art and not a science. She might be able to teach softball but is she a leader? We shall see. Can she recruit a pitcher? Hasn't brought in one. Lowary is not the answer. Can she motivate a team? They had the B1G title in their pockets and lost to PSU at home. We will see what happens when Fiser graduates.

This might be the most honest and accurate post I have ever seen on this forum. Everyone who knows anything about this team behind the scenes knows this is true and accurate. Someone finally said it. Thank you.

Pressure to win should never drive you to create a toxic environment. If it does you need to check yourself. Don't give Jamie the easy out that there is pressure and that makes her create a poor environment. Jamie took the HC job for a B1G team that was successful. Success meant multiple B1G tourney titles, a B1G season title, and a super regional. Yes that means expectations for her and I am sure a ton of stress. What is success for her? Create a positive culture within the program and be competitive for the B1G regular season and tourney titles every year. Qualify for the tourney every year and advance to a super occasionally. Ultimate goal should be the WCWS.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

First, I have no team insight and am just commenting here. Many extremely successful organizations demand discipline and attention to detail with the right amount of fun mixed in...I've experienced that first hand. I do know the 2017 team was very successful and extremely talented but still fell short when the pressure was on. Would they have responded better to adversity in 2017 (getting snubbed, no clutch hitting, walking batters) if they were accustomed to being disciplined and facing adversity in their daily routine?

Maybe using the 2017 team as a barometer for success is wrong. Just maybe, mixing in some discipline and attention detail is an ingrediant for pushing the team to the next level. It wouldn't be the first time in sports history that's happened...it's a common theme.

First, I have no team insight and am just commenting here. Many extremely successful organizations demand discipline and attention to detail with the right amount of fun mixed in...I've experienced that first hand. I do know the 2017 team was very successful and extremely talented but still fell short when the pressure was on. Would they have responded better to adversity in 2017 (getting snubbed, no clutch hitting, walking batters) if they were accustomed to being disciplined and facing adversity in their daily routine?

Maybe using the 2017 team as a barometer for success is wrong. Just maybe, mixing in some discipline and attention detail is an ingrediant for pushing the team to the next level. It wouldn't be the first time in sports history that's happened...it's a common theme.

I want success for this team. I hope Jamie can be the one who brings it. I do not have a kid on the team but I have coached club ball and HS ball and know many former and current players and their families. Discipline and attention to detail are important. You can do that while still maintaining a positive culture. Jamie's style is not positive. It is abusive and manipulative. It is not attention to detail. It is all about her being the BOSS. Rugger used the word "toxic" which probably fits. Allister and Merchant taught discipline and attention to detail but did it in a positive way. They got on players who needed it but did not do it in an abusive way. If Jamie does not change her ways she will fail and then we can get a new coach. I hope she is mature enough to realize the error of her ways and can fix the way she operates.

I want success for this team. I hope Jamie can be the one who brings it. I do not have a kid on the team but I have coached club ball and HS ball and know many former and current players and their families. Discipline and attention to detail are important. You can do that while still maintaining a positive culture. Jamie's style is not positive. It is abusive and manipulative. It is not attention to detail. It is all about her being the BOSS. Rugger used the word "toxic" which probably fits. Allister and Merchant taught discipline and attention to detail but did it in a positive way. They got on players who needed it but did not do it in an abusive way. If Jamie does not change her ways she will fail and then we can get a new coach. I hope she is mature enough to realize the error of her ways and can fix the way she operates.

I could care less about Allister and Merchant now. They left to coach the perenially worst team in the PAC12 and are now in my dustbin of history. Looking forward, I can only hope the Gopher players and coaches navigate the new style and personalities for the better. Go Gophers.

I could care less about Allister and Merchant now. They left to coach the perenially worst team in the PAC12 and are now in my dustbin of history. Looking forward, I can only hope the Gopher players and coaches navigate the new style and personalities for the better. Go Gophers.
I am with you. Coyle's job was to upgrade when they left and the jury is still out on that. I want Trachsel to become a legend here.

I am with you. Coyle's job was to upgrade when they left and the jury is still out on that. I want Trachsel to become a legend here.

As do I. And like Panthadad2, I couldn't care less about what/how Allister and Merchant are doing. I just want continued success for the softball program going forward. If what others are saying is true, it will eventually begin to show in their play on the field as time progresses. Personally, I'm hoping for the best.

Grudge/ComoGopher: I don't know who you are or what your sources are but if there is truly some sort of toxic environment under the current regime, why aren't there many more transfers? These students come from all over... they must have options. Did Trachsel have this hard core reputation in the past? I am interested in hearing more about what is going on.

We will know by the end of 2020 season if this was a good hire or not.

I would think we would know by the end of 2019. I'm alarmed by some of the comments made as I have absolutely no knowledge what is going on with the program. I would think we will pick up on the little things in the dug out and on the field as to how the team is responding to the coach. I would also think Coyle is asking questions as to the players as to how they like the new coach, difference in style etc. Hopefully this plays out soon as the team has come a long ways in the last few years and would hate to lose it all quickly.

I would think we would know by the end of 2019. I'm alarmed by some of the comments made as I have absolutely no knowledge what is going on with the program. I would think we will pick up on the little things in the dug out and on the field as to how the team is responding to the coach. I would also think Coyle is asking questions as to the players as to how they like the new coach, difference in style etc. Hopefully this plays out soon as the team has come a long ways in the last few years and would hate to lose it all quickly.

Here's the thing with message boards...the posters are anonymous. We don't know if a commenter is sincere, a troll, a crazy person, a former player or family member with an axe to grind, or even a competitor trying to sow discord. Unless the posters with sour grapes let on to their background that might allow confirmation, then take it all with a huge grain of salt. I'll watch the team's actions as a measure of success.

Here's the thing with message boards...the posters are anonymous. We don't know if a commenter is sincere, a troll, a crazy person, a former player or family member with an axe to grind, or even a competitor trying to sow discord. Unless the posters with sour grapes let on to their background that might allow confirmation, then take it all with a huge grain of salt. I'll watch the team's actions as a measure of success.

Good point. I know that the football board is full of trolls. For some reason I failed to grasp that the Softball board could also have posters with a background as you have suggested.

Good point. I know that the football board is full of trolls. For some reason I failed to grasp that the Softball board could also have posters with a background as you have suggested.

Yeah. This is total paranoid speculation (maybe)... But do you think the new Iowa coach, for example, would do just about anything to keep the best recruits from heading north to the better program in MN?

Yeah. This is total paranoid speculation (maybe)... But do you think the new Iowa coach, for example, would do just about anything to keep the best recruits from heading north to the better program in MN?

Dang you busted me. I am really an Iowa coach! LOL!

Often wonder how low coaches will get when describing another program when recruiting someone. I'm sure the Iowa coach is nervous about the prospects going to Minnesota as opposed to their program. I could never handle all this stress if I were a coach.

Top Bottom