Gopher Softball 2019

Hope Brandner from Oregon State is transferring to the Gophers! Great news to get another strong bat on the roster!

Interesting. Can you tell us about her? What year of school is she in? Where does she play in the field?

Interesting. Can you tell us about her? What year of school is she in? Where does she play in the field?
She led Oregon State with 12 homers and 36 rbis last year while hitting near .300. Did all that as a freshman, so she still has three years left. I also believe she plays first base, but could be wrong about that.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

She led Oregon State with 12 homers and 36 rbis last year while hitting near .300. Did all that as a freshman, so she still has three years left. I also believe she plays first base, but could be wrong about that.

I looked her up online. She has a video of her playing style, obviously made during high school, which looked good. There were clips of her playing against CAL in PAC play in a series that got her PAC 12 freshman of the week award, in which she hit well, seemed heavier and hitting with power (stronger maybe? but not as lithe-looking on the field). The Gophers will have to fill the third base position. In her video she didn't look too facile at fielding bunts, but that could improve. I think infield defense is VERY important to Trachsel. I hope she's really good. The more good players the merrier.

I looked her up online. She has a video of her playing style, obviously made during high school, which looked good. There were clips of her playing against CAL in PAC play in a series that got her PAC 12 freshman of the week award, in which she hit well, seemed heavier and hitting with power (stronger maybe? but not as lithe-looking on the field). The Gophers will have to fill the third base position. In her video she didn't look too facile at fielding bunts, but that could improve. I think infield defense is VERY important to Trachsel. I hope she's really good. The more good players the merrier.

I wouldn't be surprised if she is the designated player. It was not a strong point of last year's lineup.

I saw the same things you did. Looks like a run producer who will hit in the middle of the lineup in tandem with players like Lindaman and Houlihan. As for defense, seems in high school she played a bit of both first and third while I believe she she played mostly at first for Oregon State. Gopher68's suggestion of possibly being the DP is an interesting one to consider as well. That could also depend upon how the dynamic between Brandt and Arneson plays out at short. Allie spent a fair amount of time as the DP last year.

I saw the same things you did. Looks like a run producer who will hit in the middle of the lineup in tandem with players like Lindaman and Houlihan. As for defense, seems in high school she played a bit of both first and third while I believe she she played mostly at first for Oregon State. Gopher68's suggestion of possibly being the DP is an interesting one to consider as well. That could also depend upon how the dynamic between Brandt and Arneson plays out at short. Allie spent a fair amount of time as the DP last year.

Interesting comments, MRJ. From now on, it's Trachsel's squad. Interesting to speculate on what direction she builds. I suspect a super strong infield defense is her priority, as well as great pitching. With Brandt & Arneson at SS, they were good but need to get even better at SS & 3rd to compete at a higher level. In 2018 I thought Dwyer at 1st was the strongest defensive infielder, surprisingly. Brandner may well fill in one hitting spot. Otherwise I think they will need some really strong newcomers and better 2nd & 3rd backup pitching behind Fiser to stay up there in the NCAA. Against weaker BIG teams, they can win by knocking down the fences, but need more depth in the NCAAs. I'm hoping for the best.

No doubt everyone knows this, but thought I'd post it: As of two days ago former Gopher Sara Groenewegen is in a hospital in British Columbia with pneumonia. She is in serious but stable condition. According to Softball Canada, the illness seems to have come on suddenly. She pitched a game on a Friday and fell ill on Sunday.

Allie was hurt all year last year and playing through it. If she is healthy I think she will be the SS.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

No doubt everyone knows this, but thought I'd post it: As of two days ago former Gopher Sara Groenewegen is in a hospital in British Columbia with pneumonia. She is in serious but stable condition. According to Softball Canada, the illness seems to have come on suddenly. She pitched a game on a Friday and fell ill on Sunday.

Get well Sara

Odd- very unusual for a healthy 20 yo to get a pneumonia requiring hospitalization. Hope she's ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

More on Sara from Sara.

Good to hear from her. Couldn't find any updates beyond the players posting well wishes for her on IG stories

Legionnaires is nothing to mess with. Glad she's on the road to recovery.

Quick update: Sara tweeted she's been released from the hospital, so her recovery is apparently going well. :D

Last edited:

Re: the reported Hope Brandner transfer to MN. Is that actually happening? Or is it a rumor only? And most important --- is she any better than the players already on the MN roster?

Re: the reported Hope Brandner transfer to MN. Is that actually happening? Or is it a rumor only? And most important --- is she any better than the players already on the MN roster?

Well, since she put it out on her and Twitter and Instagram accounts, I'm assuming it's true. Might be waiting on paperwork, transcripts or whatever. Or I suppose it could not get done at the last minute for some reason, but for now, I'm assuming it's legit.

Other than that, I have no idea. Power hitter with pretty good average who can drive in runs is all I know and that's from her stats at OSU.

link: https://www.instagram.com/p/Blt2cgAHdGQ/?hl=en&taken-by=_hopebabyyy_

Last edited:

Well, since she put it out on her and Twitter and Instagram accounts, I'm assuming it's true. Might be waiting on paperwork, transcripts or whatever. Or I suppose it could not get done at the last minute for some reason, but for now, I'm assuming it's legit.

Other than that, I have no idea. Power hitter with pretty good average who can drive in runs is all I know and that's from her stats at OSU.

link: https://www.instagram.com/p/Blt2cgAHdGQ/?hl=en&taken-by=_hopebabyyy_

Hope is now listed on the roster. Based on her statistics, she is better than the designated players from last year.

Hope is now listed on the roster. Based on her statistics, she is better than the designated players from last year.
Thumbs up! [emoji106]

Alex Velazquez not on the latest roster. Anyone have info?
She is now listed on the 2019 Virginia Tech roster. Good for her. I hope it all works out for her.

Fall schedule is out.

28 SEP SCSU
29 SEP UMD
5 OCT Concordia

No NDSU this year.

Fall schedule is out.

28 SEP SCSU
29 SEP UMD
5 OCT Concordia

No NDSU this year.

I am excited for fall ball. We know what a lot of the girls can do but I am really interested in what happens with the others.

1) Who takes the 3B job? Macy Gill or one of the frosh?
2) Who takes the 3rd OF job? Chell, Thompson, or one of the Frosh?
3) Pitching? Can Lowary get in the rotation or will Hannah B. step up to the plate? Maybe Brandt wins the #2 job.
4) The SS battle looks to be a good one
5) 1B is going to be an interesting battle as well.

I think we might be quick to discount last year's freshman class but there really weren't any spots for them to fill. EJ stepped up in LF and was awesome. Thompson and Lowary were hurt and Gill was not going to beat our Parlich. We might have some players there. Put the true frosh in the mix and this could be a really good team. I want to see all the true frosh and transfer get their chance as well.

I am excited for fall ball. We know what a lot of the girls can do but I am really interested in what happens with the others.

1) Who takes the 3B job? Macy Gill or one of the frosh?
2) Who takes the 3rd OF job? Chell, Thompson, or one of the Frosh?
3) Pitching? Can Lowary get in the rotation or will Hannah B. step up to the plate? Maybe Brandt wins the #2 job.
4) The SS battle looks to be a good one
5) 1B is going to be an interesting battle as well.

I think we might be quick to discount last year's freshman class but there really weren't any spots for them to fill. EJ stepped up in LF and was awesome. Thompson and Lowary were hurt and Gill was not going to beat our Parlich. We might have some players there. Put the true frosh in the mix and this could be a really good team. I want to see all the true frosh and transfer get their chance as well.

Well I don't know if she plays first or third, but you can put Hope Brander down as a starter and mark it down in pen. 299 batting average with 12 homers in the PAC 10, third team all conference... going to be something special.

Well I don't know if she plays first or third, but you can put Hope Brander down as a starter and mark it down in pen. 299 batting average with 12 homers in the PAC 10, third team all conference... going to be something special.
Bold prediction! We didn't have a lot of production at the plate in several spots last year. It looks like there are some bats being added to the equation and I like that. If Brander could put up those numbers against PAC pitching she will be a beast in the B1G.

There will be a new ESPN "Elite Invitational" event in Clearwater, FL next Feb 14-17. So far 13 teams have been announced: FSU, Oregon, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Kentucky, LSU, Okla State, Texas, Notre Dame, FAU, Utah, Hofstra, and James Madison. BUT according to the ESPN event twitter page:

Note: Two teams from the @bigten will be announced after the College World Series

Hope the Gophers are one of the 2 BIG teams!!!!
I think that is the same time as the ACC/B1G challenge. That could be interesting.

I am not sure of her defense. But, with her bat, she would be my pick as the designated player.

I am not sure of her defense. But, with her bat, she would be my pick as the designated player.

She had 3 errors in 171 chances last season. I just don't see her as a DP. Obviously I could be wrong but I'd be shocked if she is not starting at 1B. My opinion only.

Because I was curious and because I have WAY too much time on my hands, I went thru all of the Oregon State box scores for last season. Hope was used primarily as a DP for the first half of the season. Heck she did not even play against the Gophers. Once PAC10 play started she became the regular 1B... until the very end of the season when she was returned to DP. She was a freshman and the other 1B was a senior. So there's that. Reckless speculation here but perhaps the switch back to DP at the end of the year didn't sit well with her, hence the transfer. Ok very reckless.

Because I was curious and because I have WAY too much time on my hands, I went thru all of the Oregon State box scores for last season. Hope was used primarily as a DP for the first half of the season. Heck she did not even play against the Gophers. Once PAC10 play started she became the regular 1B... until the very end of the season when she was returned to DP. She was a freshman and the other 1B was a senior. So there's that. Reckless speculation here but perhaps the switch back to DP at the end of the year didn't sit well with her, hence the transfer. Ok very reckless.

I think the Gophers will need good defense and BIG BATS in the one outfield position left vacant by Wagner. They also badly need great hitting at 3rd base, to make up for the weak seasons at the plate by Macken in 2016 and Parlich in 2017 (both slumped pretty badly as seniors). Even Dwyer at 1st base hit only in streaks in 2017, despite good defense. They'll need strong hitting in 2019 and lots of it!

I think the Gophers will need good defense and BIG BATS in the one outfield position left vacant by Wagner. They also badly need great hitting at 3rd base, to make up for the weak seasons at the plate by Macken in 2016 and Parlich in 2017 (both slumped pretty badly as seniors). Even Dwyer at 1st base hit only in streaks in 2017, despite good defense. They'll need strong hitting in 2019 and lots of it!

Good points. Also, Hope has a big headstart advantage over the other incoming recruits. She is a proven D1 hitter for average, RBI's, and power. That will be a major hurdle for the other newcomers probably requiring time and coaching as well as AB's. For now, ink her in my lineup for probably 1B and #'s 4 or 5 in batting order.

Any reports on the St. Cloud DH?

And a UMD report would be nice, too.

Top Bottom