Gopher Softball 2019

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
Here is the thread for all of your 2019 Gopher Softball stuff.

Let's start out...

Jensen to CF?

Not to Abbott and Costello, but Who's on First? How about 3rd?

No way to know how this freshman class (incoming ) will develope. There are good prospect in the group. The ones that come to mind are White, Burns, Hansen, DenHartod and Ali Linder (sp). Linder is a slap hitting outfielder, White is hitting over 800, lives in Nevada, but travels to play in a So. Cal league. Burns and Hansen and DenHartog all play infield in HS. Few freshman this year that did not play much, but have a chance to develop. Hopefully we can get some innings out of our 2 freshman pitchers next year, save some wear and tear on Amber and Syd. Also Carlie Wagner had the lowest ERA on the staff this year, maybe she takes the mound more next year.

OK, we will already have turnover at assistant coach.

Another experienced assistant of will we go young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, we will already have turnover at assistant coach.

Another experienced assistant of will we go young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No preference on age but it will be interesting. A coach who can get them hitting is my preference.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Here is the thread for all of your 2019 Gopher Softball stuff.

Let's start out...

Jensen to CF?

Not to Abbott and Costello, but Who's on First? How about 3rd?

OK, starting with who's on 1st. How about trying the 0.827 hitting HS catcher Josey White. Nobody is going to take Kendyl's job so another option is needed to get Josey's bat in the lineup. Josey could play 1st and possibly rotate some with Kendyl at 1st and Josey at C. This could keep both bats in the lineup, develop a backup and eventual replacement C, and give Kendyl a rest when she needs it. Especially in tournament double (even triple!) headers.

Who's on 3rd? Back in the 2018 thread, I suggested DenHartog. Then another, more insightful member (Rugger14) suggested Hansen at 3rd and DenHartog to OF to replace Dani. DenHartog may have better speed. Stronger throwing arm? The coaches will have to decide this one.

OF. Jensen to CF seems a natural given her speed and fielding ability. DenHartog to replace Dani?

SS. This one ain't broke but Burns ("great eyes and soft hands" per Coach Trachsel) could work her way into the lineup as the season proceeds if she fields as well as Brandt but hits better. There could be a very interesting three way competition at SS.

DP. Lindner maybe worth a try here given she is a "slap hitter". This could mean she is good at advancing runners in a small ball attack. Lindner would also be competing for OF time (with DenHartog? and others).

OK, starting with who's on 1st. How about trying the 0.827 hitting HS catcher Josey White. Nobody is going to take Kendyl's job so another option is needed to get Josey's bat in the lineup. Josey could play 1st and possibly rotate some with Kendyl at 1st and Josey at C. This could keep both bats in the lineup, develop a backup and eventual replacement C, and give Kendyl a rest when she needs it. Especially in tournament double (even triple!) headers.

Who's on 3rd? Back in the 2018 thread, I suggested DenHartog. Then another, more insightful member (Rugger14) suggested Hansen at 3rd and DenHartog to OF to replace Dani. DenHartog may have better speed. Stronger throwing arm? The coaches will have to decide this one.

OF. Jensen to CF seems a natural given her speed and fielding ability. DenHartog to replace Dani?

SS. This one ain't broke but Burns ("great eyes and soft hands" per Coach Trachsel) could work her way into the lineup as the season proceeds if she fields as well as Brandt but hits better. There could be a very interesting three way competition at SS.

DP. Lindner maybe worth a try here given she is a "slap hitter". This could mean she is good at advancing runners in a small ball attack. Lindner would also be competing for OF time (with DenHartog? and others).

Lindner will play in the outfield. Jamie likes to play some small-ball, use pinch runners, and steal bases so a speedy player like Lindner will get a chance to compete. DenHartog is a name I like at SS if she can hit D1 pitching. Although I could see her in the OF as well if Maddie makes a move back to 1B. SS will be a fun battle to watch. Brandt and Arneson won't be giving playing time away without a battle. Arneson was not healthy so I think she will be back to 2017 form next year. Burns is an interesting darkhorse.

I think Hansen could be in a battle at 3B with Macy Gill. Gill was stuck behind Parlich. Again, a lot will depend on who can hit D1 pitching. Gill didn't get many chances this year. The wildcard is that the loser of the SS battle is likely going to compete here.

Alex Velasquez hit OK without a lot of chances to get comfortable. I could see her getting some time at DP or possibly at 1B. I am not sure she has the speed to play OF on this team with a serious upgrade in speed.

White seems like a great DP candidate who could spell Lindaman and let her DP from time to time.

Burns is another one who is interesting. She will get a look at SS.

Chell and Kemmetmueller are returning upperclassmen who will compete somewhere. Anne Miller is somewhat of an unknown as well since she didn't get many chances this year. Tough for her to compete at catcher with Lindaman and with White coming in she could get stuck in the middle.

Thompson would have run a lot this year but she was out for the year with an injury. She is Ellie Jensen fast so I think we will see her a lot on the bases next year.

I think Lowary will be used more next year. A little bit odd in the softball world but I could see her getting 2-3 innings to give Fiser a break now and then. Hopefully Smith can fully recover and be a #2 who can get a lot of innings. I think Brandt will play a similar role to what she did this year. A possible starter when you need her and a solid arm in relief. Hannah Bailey is a pitcher to watch. Piper made a lot of changes to her mechanics this year so we will see what she can do in year #2. I expect her to get more innings.

Looking forward to fall ball! Only a few months away!

Lindner will play in the outfield. Jamie likes to play some small-ball, use pinch runners, and steal bases so a speedy player like Lindner will get a chance to compete. DenHartog is a name I like at SS if she can hit D1 pitching. Although I could see her in the OF as well if Maddie makes a move back to 1B. SS will be a fun battle to watch. Brandt and Arneson won't be giving playing time away without a battle. Arneson was not healthy so I think she will be back to 2017 form next year. Burns is an interesting darkhorse.

I think Hansen could be in a battle at 3B with Macy Gill. Gill was stuck behind Parlich. Again, a lot will depend on who can hit D1 pitching. Gill didn't get many chances this year. The wildcard is that the loser of the SS battle is likely going to compete here.

Alex Velasquez hit OK without a lot of chances to get comfortable. I could see her getting some time at DP or possibly at 1B. I am not sure she has the speed to play OF on this team with a serious upgrade in speed.

White seems like a great DP candidate who could spell Lindaman and let her DP from time to time.

Chell and Kemmetmueller are returning upperclassmen who will compete somewhere. Anne Miller is somewhat of an unknown as well since she didn't get many chances this year. Tough for her to compete at catcher with Lindaman and with White coming in she could get stuck in the middle.

Thompson would have run a lot this year but she was out for the year with an injury. She is Ellie Jensen fast so I think we will see her a lot on the bases next year.

I think Lowary will be used more next year. A little bit odd in the softball world but I could see her getting 2-3 innings to give Fiser a break now and then. Hopefully Smith can fully recover and be a #2 who can get a lot of innings. I think Brandt will play a similar role to what she did this year. A possible starter when you need her and a solid arm in relief. Hannah Bailey is a pitcher to watch. Piper made a lot of changes to her mechanics this year so we will see what she can do in year #2. I expect her to get more innings.

You forgot Krueger! [emoji14] I assume you didn't mention 2B because you think Partain has the job locked up.

Interesting take. I don't know that much about the incoming freshmen.

You forgot Krueger! [emoji14] I assume you didn't mention 2B because you think Partain has the job locked up.

Interesting take. I don't know that much about the incoming freshmen.

Dangit! How did I forget KK? She was obviously in the mix with Velasquez as a pinch hitter. I think KK is a versatile defensive player who could land in several spots if she can prove that she can hit the ball.

BTW, I did assume that Partain would have the 2B slot locked up but her defense is a little bit suspect so I could see her as a DP if someone else can really field that position better.

The battle for SS may be interesting but brief. Arneson should return to 2017 form (First Team All-B1G) hitting and fielding. The more she can play alongside Partain (also First Team All-B1G) the better they can improve on turning double plays. Combined with Jensen in CF, this would define every coach's dream of "strength up the middle". Burns and ??? would have a year to develop and backup SS or 2B as needed.

The battle for SS may be interesting but brief. Arneson should return to 2017 form (First Team All-B1G) hitting and fielding. The more she can play alongside Partain (also First Team All-B1G) the better they can improve on turning double plays. Combined with Jensen in CF, this would define every coach's dream of "strength up the middle". Burns and ??? would have a year to develop and backup SS or 2B as needed.
Well if Arneson regains 2017 form I think we will all be happy. I know we lose some seniors but I think we have some players ready to play.

https://www.mnsoftballhub.com/news_article/show/923404?referrer_id=287997

StarTrib Metro Player of the Year and Gopher commit Emily Hansen:

Talking softball in the moments after delivering a game-winning, two-run double, Buffalo shortstop Emily Hansen let slip the secret of her remarkable talent for putting bat to ball.

Three simple words, common in ball vernacular but magic when combined with her myriad skills.

“Eyes at contact,” Hansen said with her usual infectious laugh. “That’s all you need.”

One thing about this secret, however: The power she derives from those words happens only when she hears them from her father, Darren.

“I’ve been playing softball since I was, like, 5 years old and my dad was my coach. He’s the most simple coach ever,” Hansen said. “That’s what he said to me before that hit.”...

...Of course, there’s more to Hansen’s success than a few cogent words. There’s a tireless work ethic that often finds her taking swings long after teammates have gone home. There are natural gifts, too, such as the hand-eye coordination of a master juggler and the ability to generate power with the most economical of swings.

Her numbers this year are typically exceptional: a .509 batting average, 15 home runs, 36 RBI and remarkable 2.012 OPS (on-base plus slugging percentage), reflecting her ability to get on base and hit for average and power.

That batting average might be even higher if opponents were inclined to pitch to her. She’s been intentionally walked 13 times....

It’s all part of what makes Hansen the player she is, Hudson said. “She has everything: the athletic ability, the persistence, the perfection she strives for. It’s insane.”

The way Hansen sees it, the stats and the reputation and the success are all in the pursuit of something bigger. Her skills have landed her a scholarship to play for the University of Minnesota — “my lifelong dream,” she said.

Hmm, interesting conversation and opinions from everybody.

Personally, I'd like to see Ellie moved to center to replace Wagner and then, as ComoGopher suggested, move Maddie back to 1B. I like Partain at second. Seems like the DP position will also be interesting since there is apparently a fair amount of pop coming in with the newcomers. I figure we'll see some combination of Hansen, Denhartog and White throughout the season. Burns is apparently very good defensively, so I could see her in the battle for short-stop although Arneson, when healthy, is pretty darn solid there.

Also agree that we'll see a whole lot more of Lowary in addition to Fiser and Smith in the circle. Hopefully Syd can stay healthy because she really came on as the year went along. Can't forget about Brandt either since she's the ultimate utility player. Hoping her hitting can come around, but she's so versatile in other facets of her game it'll be interesting to see what happens with her.

In any case, I figure the team will be pretty darn good again next year. Just need to figure out how the pieces fit.

There will be a new ESPN "Elite Invitational" event in Clearwater, FL next Feb 14-17. So far 13 teams have been announced: FSU, Oregon, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Kentucky, LSU, Okla State, Texas, Notre Dame, FAU, Utah, Hofstra, and James Madison. BUT according to the ESPN event twitter page:

Note: Two teams from the @bigten will be announced after the College World Series

Hope the Gophers are one of the 2 BIG teams!!!!

There will be a new ESPN "Elite Invitational" event in Clearwater, FL next Feb 14-17. So far 13 teams have been announced: FSU, Oregon, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Kentucky, LSU, Okla State, Texas, Notre Dame, FAU, Utah, Hofstra, and James Madison. BUT according to the ESPN event twitter page:

Note: Two teams from the @bigten will be announced after the College World Series

Hope the Gophers are one of the 2 BIG teams!!!!

Just a guess: Michigan & Minnesota.

Emily Hansen hit HR #16 (in 22 games) in the AAAA State QF today.

1 for 2 with 2 RBI & 2 walks vs Edina.

Alex Velazquez not on the latest roster. Anyone have info?

I would guess transfer...

coaching changes/additions

I would guess transfer...

Any word lately on assistant coaching changes or additions. There was some rumor about an imminent change. Hope this does not involve Piper Ritter as she has a phenomenal record coaching our pitchers. There was some discussion of getting a hitting coach.

Any word lately on assistant coaching changes or additions. There was some rumor about an imminent change. Hope this does not involve Piper Ritter as she has a phenomenal record coaching our pitchers. There was some discussion of getting a hitting coach.

Some of the players will be meeting one of the candidates for the assistant job on Friday. I would assume if they are setting up meetings with the players they have settled on at least their top choices. I doubt that there would be a pitching coach change - the players really like Coach Ritter and she has done a great job finding and developing the talent.

Some of the players will be meeting one of the candidates for the assistant job on Friday. I would assume if they are setting up meetings with the players they have settled on at least their top choices. I doubt that there would be a pitching coach change - the players really like Coach Ritter and she has done a great job finding and developing the talent.

Agree. Ritter is Minnesota through and through. Losing her would be a huge blow. Trachsel has gone as far as to say Piper IS Minnesota softball.

With all that said, I doubt she leaves (and I hope I'm right on that). :)

Agree. Ritter is Minnesota through and through. Losing her would be a huge blow. Trachsel has gone as far as to say Piper IS Minnesota softball.

With all that said, I doubt she leaves (and I hope I'm right on that). :)

I hope MRJ is right on that, too. On a similar note, I read about the outstanding recruits other programs are getting for next fall. Are the Gopher recruits announced so far up to a high national standard? Any info would help....

I hope MRJ is right on that, too. On a similar note, I read about the outstanding recruits other programs are getting for next fall. Are the Gopher recruits announced so far up to a high national standard? Any info would help....

I'm hardly a softball recruiting guru, but I know that Emily Hansen made the USA Today HS All-American softball team for 2018. Also, I believe Josey White was/is a top-100 recruit (I have no idea whether she still is or not, but considering she hit over .800 for her high school season, I'm guessing she's still considered a very good prospect). Other than that, I really don't know much.

Hope this helps, at least a little.

I like the youth movement! I hope she can get the bats back to the level of previous years.

What was lacking between the head coach in 2018 and the hitting coach? Seen from the bleachers, it seemed there was a sort of frantic attitude between the 2 coaches. One year isn't long for a new coach to stay.

What was lacking between the head coach in 2018 and the hitting coach? Seen from the bleachers, it seemed there was a sort of frantic attitude between the 2 coaches. One year isn't long for a new coach to stay.

Just spitballing here, but maybe a difference in personality/approach?

Hope Brandner from Oregon State is transferring to the Gophers! Great news to get another strong bat on the roster!

Top Bottom