Gopher Softball 2019

True, Fiser is the only Gopher pitcher anybody has confidence in, but let's face it, the real problem is the abominable hitting and zero run production against nationally ranked teams. Fiser could have pitched a no-hit, no-run 18-inning perfect game against AZ and still not won because MN would never have scored a run for her, not even with a runner on 3rd and nobody out. I feel the root of the problem is the failure to recruit players with elite hitting skills, or getting one like Lindaman and then not being able to keep her in the program. Getting the needed hitting is a tall order but a Super-Regional or a CWS appearance won't happen without the ability to score runs against top teams. I root for the Gophers like crazy, but I'm losing confidence that any really big-time success is ever going to happen without stellar recruiting.

Wow with these last 2 posts there is still hope for honest gopher fans. Look when you have a pitcher or coach that wants to duck the big boys and your hitters that jump around and talk about how great they are but can’t find away to win, seems like the ego bus is rolling down the highway. Nobody on this team so far has risen to being a top d1 player. All smoke and mirrors. Hope you make it to the last day of the
B
I
G

You are a strange dude. Yet you string words together as if you are serious....lol

You crack me up Fiser pumper. Let’s look at the facts. She gave up the same number of home runs as smith and Lowery in game 2 but that was to a d2 type drake team. And she allowed only one less hit than than the Arizona game and there is absolutely no comparison to the level of play between drake and AZ. So I guess I see why you would not have wanted her to pitch against the top team, would give you nothing to spin a story on. Also if memory serves me Minn could have shared the reg season big ten however your ace seemed to have given up a losing hr to a very very poor pen state team. Can’t always hide. Good luck with you spin stories they are fun to watch. Stupid but fun. Now let those with facts instead of feeling get back on the board.

Calsoftball is extremely negative. I think we should wait to see what happens. So far the team has not stepped up to the plate against the best teams. I think it is good that coach scheduled a tough non-conference slate.

You crack me up Fiser pumper. Let’s look at the facts. She gave up the same number of home runs as smith and Lowery in game 2 but that was to a d2 type drake team. And she allowed only one less hit than than the Arizona game and there is absolutely no comparison to the level of play between drake and AZ. So I guess I see why you would not have wanted her to pitch against the top team, would give you nothing to spin a story on. Also if memory serves me Minn could have shared the reg season big ten however your ace seemed to have given up a losing hr to a very very poor pen state team. Can’t always hide. Good luck with you spin stories they are fun to watch. Stupid but fun. Now let those with facts instead of feeling get back on the board.

You are a strange dude. Yet you string words together as if you are serious....lol

At this point, it definitely appears Trachsel massively overreached with this non-conference slate. The team hasn't beaten anyone of any consequence despite having chance after chance. In other words, they're a nice Big 10 team and not much more. Whether it's the pitching getting cuffed around by Florida State or the offense failing to catch up in basically every other game against truly good competition, they aren't getting it done.

I know everybody wants to give them props for showing up and playing hard, but that only goes so far. Right now, they simply aren't good enough. I'm sure they'll continue to win games against bad or mediocre competition and plenty of their contests in the Big 10. But there isn't anything there that leads me to think they're anywhere close to being good enough against truly elite competition. It is what it is.

They might surprise somebody and pull off a win here or there, but right now, it's a case of getting credit for showing up rather than actually finding a way to win games. Anytime they've played one of these "big" games, they've lost.

Nevertheless, they're definitely an NCAA Tournament team imo. I'm just not expecting anything more than that.

That's my point, too. You just said it better than I did. The Gophers would likely go undefeated in the Summit League.

Calsoftball is extremely negative. I think we should wait to see what happens. So far the team has not stepped up to the plate against the best teams. I think it is good that coach scheduled a tough non-conference slate.

How is stating the facts negative. You can hope all day long and spin stories to make yourself feel better but the stats and who they are against never lie. Like I said Indiana has come out to play. They are not only scheduling tough teams they are winning. They are not hiding nor are the hoping they are doing it.

True, Fiser is the only Gopher pitcher anybody has confidence in, but let's face it, the real problem is the abominable hitting and zero run production against nationally ranked teams. Fiser could have pitched a no-hit, no-run 18-inning perfect game against AZ and still not won because MN would never have scored a run for her, not even with a runner on 3rd and nobody out. I feel the root of the problem is the failure to recruit players with elite hitting skills, or getting one like Lindaman and then not being able to keep her in the program. Getting the needed hitting is a tall order but a Super-Regional or a CWS appearance won't happen without the ability to score runs against top teams. I root for the Gophers like crazy, but I'm losing confidence that any really big-time success is ever going to happen without stellar recruiting.

My issue with Lindaman is she shrank in big moments too. I think she had 1 or 2 hits total against Alabama (2) and Washington in the NCAAs.

How is stating the facts negative. You can hope all day long and spin stories to make yourself feel better but the stats and who they are against never lie. Like I said Indiana has come out to play. They are not only scheduling tough teams they are winning. They are not hiding nor are the hoping they are doing it.

OK. Troll. You are not a Gopher fan.

At this point, it definitely appears Trachsel massively overreached with this non-conference slate. The team hasn't beaten anyone of any consequence despite having chance after chance. In other words, they're a nice Big 10 team and not much more. Whether it's the pitching getting cuffed around by Florida State or the offense failing to catch up in basically every other game against truly good competition, they aren't getting it done.

I know everybody wants to give them props for showing up and playing hard, but that only goes so far. Right now, they simply aren't good enough. I'm sure they'll continue to win games against bad or mediocre competition and plenty of their contests in the Big 10. But there isn't anything there that leads me to think they're anywhere close to being good enough against truly elite competition. It is what it is.

They might surprise somebody and pull off a win here or there, but right now, it's a case of getting credit for showing up rather than actually finding a way to win games. Anytime they've played one of these "big" games, they've lost.

Nevertheless, they're definitely an NCAA Tournament team imo. I'm just not expecting anything more than that.

I see Michigan is playing a similar schedule and getting beat around too until upsetting UCLA in an outlier yesterday. It's a tough call. Losing sucks, but it might be better than building a gawdy record on a weaker non-con schedule like MN did in 2017 or Indiana is doing now. MN is running out of chances to get an upset or two though. Finding a win against TX or FL in true road games with home cookin will be tough.

I see Michigan is playing a similar schedule and getting beat around too until upsetting UCLA in an outlier yesterday. It's a tough call. Losing sucks, but it might be better than building a gawdy record on a weaker non-con schedule like MN did in 2017 or Indiana is doing now. MN is running out of chances to get an upset or two though. Finding a win against TX or FL in true road games with home cookin will be tough.

Tend to agree. If they can eke out a win against either Texas or Florida, I'd be okay with it. I'm just not jumping on this team as something that it's not, which is elite.

The good news is that they've beaten just about everybody else like a drum, so it's not like the overall picture is dire. I just don't happen to believe they're good enough to truly challenge top teams.

With that being said, there's little doubt they'll be fighting for a conference title imo. Nobody in the Big 10 is going to be as good as the teams they've already lost to, so they'll have a great chance to win every night in the conference. As for Indiana, I need to see more from them before I start thinking of the Hoosiers as a true conference contender and NCAA Tournament squad.

My issue with Lindaman is she shrank in big moments too. I think she had 1 or 2 hits total against Alabama (2) and Washington in the NCAAs.

I can't argue with you there. So many issues are brought up in these posts, but the fact remains: In the past 4-5 years the Gophers have lost to powers like Washington, Alabama, Oregon, AZ, etc., and even lowly PSU (2018), because they haven't gotten big hits and scored runs at crucial moments. One poster here posits that Gophers hitters just aren't good enough to hit elite pitching. However, AZ got only 4 hits this evening and several walks, which led to only 2 runs. Still, they found a way to win.

These type of posts are exactly why we don’t get good recruits or can’t keep them. You take a small sample size that you feel supports your thoughts and spin it like it truly represents the actual ability of the player.

Lindaman is hitting in the 2/3/4 hole for the #3 team in the country. Hitting .373 against top teams in the rankings and just hit .500 against UCLA, Washington and Oregon this weekend. Evidently Coach Walton knows more about her ability than all the so called experts on this forum. I really think a negative fan base against our Gopher players and team as a whole may be part of the reason she left. If the home team fans don’t support the players why in the hell would anyone want to play here? Or stay here?

Omg another spin dr. Grudgeguy you are a pure snowflake. Let’s call like it is. Lindaman is an average softball hitter now and currently on the lower end of the power end. You guys use to say how good and powerful she was. She has 2 hr is all. Florida is playing cupcake teams like a min to pad stats. She has only hit to an average number. Wait until SEC. There are pitchers that have more HR. Totally overrated before and now average to below average especially power.

Last edited:

Omg another spin dr. Grudgeguy you are a pure snowflake. Let’s call like it is. Lindaman is an average softball hitter now and currently on the lower end of the power end. You guys use to say how good and powerful she was. She has 2 hr is all. Florida is playing cupcake teams like a min to pad stats. She has only hit to an average number. Wait until SEC. There are pitchers that have more HR. Totally overrated before and now average to below average especially power.

CalSoftball - please enlighten all on who is a good player and what teams are good because Arizona, Michigan, Arizona State, UCLA, Oregon and Washington aren’t good since Florida played them in their cupcake schedule. Add The Gophers to the list since we know you don’t like them either and they play Florida this season. And Florida isn’t good because they play against cupcakes. Obviously you know more than the rest of us. You claim to not be a troll so tell us which team you cheer for so we can all finally understand what good softball looks like. We are all waiting....

Well if you can’t figure it out by now you need to find something else to do. But at least it seems you agree that she was entirely overrated and that she is just an average hitter with below average power. Heck there are little infield and outfielders that have more HR than she does. She wouldn’t make the mid level average for many of the ranked teams. It is all about the size of the pond you swim in.

Well if you can’t figure it out by now you need to find something else to do. But at least it seems you agree that she was entirely overrated and that she is just an average hitter with below average power. Heck there are little infield and outfielders that have more HR than she does. She wouldn’t make the mid level average for many of the ranked teams. It is all about the size of the pond you swim in.

I am glad to see you back on the forum - I guess your mom reinstated your internet access. If you are going to continue to live in her basement you need to learn to live by her rules.

So again - what teams are good? We have eliminated the cupcakes on Florida’s schedule (we need to eliminate Florida State as well since they play them later).

It is easy to say who you cheer for - but I don’t see you saying much.

You have been exposed for the troll you are - you are not here to actually discuss Gopher softball - you obviously know very little about this team and even less about the sport.

Give me your Top 25 rankings - I am sure that will be an eye opener.

Last edited:

You are correct for once on many fronts but tough to argue about the crazy over hype on your pitcher. All the press regarding strikeouts is like your team is a club team. Let’s see who she pitched against. Drake and drake are you kidding me. Kent state took Arizona to extra and scores several runs on them, which is several more than minn could. Your other pitchers gave up only one run to Kent state and looks like 2 to Arizona. Seems to me that they either threw the better pitchers against the better comp or you guys just want to hide and get excited over stats on teams that don’t really matter. I can’t imigine what I would say if I really knew more about this team, just watching the cowardly behavior. Kent state scored on Arizona but you could not. Those are simply the facts now try to spin that one.

Nice win today over a good JMU team with an outstanding pitcher in Good. The defense mechanism in my brain started thinking "here we go again" when the bases were left loaded in the 3rd, but then Houlihan got the dinger in the 4th and they popped the cork in the 5th with some clutch hitting. Way to go Gophs.

Glad we just won. We now have about 11 games left in the preseason. I feel we have seen enough of this team to see their strengths and their weaknesses. IMO, the most consistent players we have our Jensen, Partain, Kemetmueller and Brandner. Maybe they should be batting 1-4?????? Just saying.

Execution is definitely not a strength of this team. That has been stated before. Not so sure they have the players to overcome that moving forward. So much inconsistency at the plate with a lot of the Gopher players.

I've always thought Taylor Chell is a strong presence at the plate, if and when she plays in games, which is extremely seldom. Is there any scoop on why she hasn't appeared in any 2019 games (as far as I know anyway)? She can hit for power.

I've always thought Taylor Chell is a strong presence at the plate, if and when she plays in games, which is extremely seldom. Is there any scoop on why she hasn't appeared in any 2019 games (as far as I know anyway)? She can hit for power.

She has been battling injuries. The team is banged up.

After proving the mn coaches are more interested in as they wrote “winning” awards I am sure their continued coward nature won’t support that. By the way you don’t win a recognition award and secondly those are something that make a headline for a 16u club team. So let’s see. If she doesn’t throw at least 2 it will confirm an absolute joke. By the way where is IU ranked heading into Big play? And where have the fan fare senior batter gone. Horrible BA for them, looks like a hitting coach is needed.

A non pitching question. When will the coaches sit the rf senior who will probably drop below 200 ba after this weekend. This again shows lower tier coaching ability not to make needed adjustments to the roster. She has been a total miss all year and actually has fallen off every year she has been there. Not emotion but stats. If you want to win big games having kids at this moment with those stats in the lineup will get you exactly what is has gotten you in the big games. And by the way JMU probably won’t even be ranked in a few weeks.

These coaches and the AD should look at the comments on the robocoach national board about IU coach and how she treats our players. Even a diehard gopher commenter Midwestfp had outstanding remarks about the quality of person she is. You for sure do not see any mention of your coach’s behaviors other than comments about Fiser complaining on tv about a call and one of your coaches backing up with a twitter post. Total 16u club ball style behavior and it gets rewarded. Grow up.

Also, I wonder if people will be able to watch the games this weekend? Seems lots of times games on the Longhorn Network are the hardest to get access to.

Judging by the schedule page of the Gopher website, it looks somewhat promising.

After proving the mn coaches are more interested in as they wrote “winning” awards I am sure their continued coward nature won’t support that. By the way you don’t win a recognition award and secondly those are something that make a headline for a 16u club team. So let’s see. If she doesn’t throw at least 2 it will confirm an absolute joke. By the way where is IU ranked heading into Big play? And where have the fan fare senior batter gone. Horrible BA for them, looks like a hitting coach is needed.

Do you watch college sports much? Conference and national players of the week are recognized on social media by many programs in multiple sports.

These coaches and the AD should look at the comments on the robocoach national board about IU coach and how she treats our players. Even a diehard gopher commenter Midwestfp had outstanding remarks about the quality of person she is. You for sure do not see any mention of your coach’s behaviors other than comments about Fiser complaining on tv about a call and one of your coaches backing up with a twitter post. Total 16u club ball style behavior and it gets rewarded. Grow up.

Midwest and MidwestFP are not the same person on that forum but thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom