Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

https://www.mndaily.com/article/2019...with-minnesota

From the Daily:
    First baseman Hope Brandner is producing for the Gophers in her first season with Minnesota.

After spending the 2018 season with Oregon State, Brandner leads the Gophers with 26 RBIs and has hit six home runs. Her batting average is .343, which is second-best on the team.

Last season, Brandner led the Beavers with 12 home runs, 36 RBIs and a batting average of .299. She was named to the Pac-12 All-Conference Third Team and the Pac-12 All-Freshman Team.

Brandner said her new teammates have been welcoming her throughout the transition.

"Everyone was extremely kind to me," Brandner said. "Everybody was getting to know me. I was getting to know everybody else. I came out and started practicing and everybody was there to support me. It was pretty easy."

WOW!!! I do not understand the repetitive lack of offense because of poor execution from this team. Are these players swinging at their own free will or does the Head Coach have a lot of say in their At Bats?

Sydney pitched a great game and once again, when one team scores, the other comes right back and scores. Lack of confidence? Lack of concentration/focus? Can anybody explain why that happens a lot in games?

To me, winning 3-2 over Butler....JUST NOT ACCEPTABLE..

Just got done watching the girls shutout USF on their home field. Caught it on their official athletic website. We will be able to watch the game Sunday. The link is below, if anybody is interested. I also have Chromecast so I was able to cast the laptop video to my TV and watch the game that way.

https://gousfbulls.com/schedule.aspx?path=softball

Quote Originally Posted by 4EverAGopher View Post
    Just got done watching the girls shutout USF on their home field. Caught it on their official athletic website. We will be able to watch the game Sunday. The link is below, if anybody is interested. I also have Chromecast so I was able to cast the laptop video to my TV and watch the game that way.

https://gousfbulls.com/schedule.aspx?path=softball
    I tried to catch the last couple innings while at work, but my Chrome browser didn't like the website. Might be a flash player thing. Might have to try Edge for the next game.

Offense certainly wasn't a thing of beauty in either game, but Amber and Syd picked up the slack. Anyway, I'll take a shut out of South Florida on their home field anytime.

Nice to be 17-7 as the nonconference schedule begins to wind down.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

WOW!!! I do not understand the repetitive lack of offense because of poor execution from this team. Are these players swinging at their own free will or does the Head Coach have a lot of say in their At Bats?

Sydney pitched a great game and once again, when one team scores, the other comes right back and scores. Lack of confidence? Lack of concentration/focus? Can anybody explain why that happens a lot in games?

In the long run, nobody's going to ask: Did you beat Butler 23-2 or 3-2? The important thing is: Did you beat them? As far as I know, the Butler game wasn't streamed or on TV, so did you see the game (I didn't)? If so, what poor execution on offense are you referring to? (Or was it great Butler pitching?) As for Butler's HR in the 7th, Smith is a pitch-to-contact pitcher; you can expect her to give up some big hits along the way because she's not overpowering; she makes hitters put the ball in play and sometimes it goes over the fence, but home runs tend to cost pitchers fewer games than walks. My take on Trachsel is that she's big on depth of pitching and super strong defense, especially on the infield. That approach might limit the number games you win by blowouts (and might seem dull to some fans), but it also keeps you in lots of other games and gives you a chance to win them with a break or two (excepting at Ala., where the home team routinely steals games via umpires' calls, etc. But what does a person expect from Ala or the SEC?). As for the Gophers offense, I think any team ranked in the top 25, like MN, can expect opponents to throw their very best pitching at them every single game. Losing Lindaman and having some 2019 players injured has hampered their offensive output, it seems. The long-term secret is: having more than one way to win games and using those ways to win as you need them. I suspect Allister's Gopher teams created an image of BIG BATS, but what do you do when the big bats fail you, as happened to MN in the recent years' NCAA tournaments? Personally I saw Butler lose to SIU 16-0 last week; I felt good for them when they gave MN a real battle today. I also was very happy that MN beat them 3-2. That was VERY acceptable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
    In the long run, nobody's going to ask: Did you beat Butler 23-2 or 3-2? The important thing is: Did you beat them? As far as I know, the Butler game wasn't streamed or on TV, so did you see the game (I didn't)? If so, what poor execution on offense are you referring to? (Or was it great Butler pitching?) As for Butler's HR in the 7th, Smith is a pitch-to-contact pitcher; you can expect her to give up some big hits along the way because she's not overpowering; she makes hitters put the ball in play and sometimes it goes over the fence, but home runs tend to cost pitchers fewer games than walks. My take on Trachsel is that she's big on depth of pitching and super strong defense, especially on the infield. That approach might limit the number games you win by blowouts (and might seem dull to some fans), but it also keeps you in lots of other games and gives you a chance to win them with a break or two (excepting at Ala., where the home team routinely steals games via umpires' calls, etc. But what does a person expect from Ala or the SEC?). As for the Gophers offense, I think any team ranked in the top 25, like MN, can expect opponents to throw their very best pitching at them every single game. Losing Lindaman and having some 2019 players injured has hampered their offensive output, it seems. The long-term secret is: having more than one way to win games and using those ways to win as you need them. I suspect Allister's Gopher teams created an image of BIG BATS, but what do you do when the big bats fail you, as happened to MN in the recent years' NCAA tournaments? Personally I saw Butler lose to SIU 16-0 last week; I felt good for them when they gave MN a real battle today. I also was very happy that MN beat them 3-2. That was VERY acceptable to me.
    Thank you for that! I get so irritated by people claiming to be fans, but feel that they are owed something from the team, such as a certain number of runs or hits. Maybe the bats just weren't there. That happens. Maybe the pitching was really good. Maybe we played down to Butler's level. I'm fine with that too, because we've also been playing up to the level of top-ranked teams. Let a win be a win, and talk about interesting things like how it was interesting to see Katie coaching third base. Did Jamie have to use the bathroom or does she just want to give her young coaches some experience?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Just win baby! This team is winning games and doing what they have to do.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

A possible answer to your post came in the Gopher report on Friday's games (3/15). Fiser reported in an interview that the Gophers' flight to Florida got in very late on Thursday and they had to get ready to play early Friday. In addition, the report indicated the Florida heat was an issue for the Northern players, even though the USF announcer said it was the last "cool" day before 5 months of real heat sets in down there. All indications are that the Gophers players were making do with the hand they were dealt. Maybe they'll be more rested today, Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
    A possible answer to your post came in the Gopher report on Friday's games (3/15). Fiser reported in an interview that the Gophers' flight to Florida got in very late on Thursday and they had to get ready to play early Friday. In addition, the report indicated the Florida heat was an issue for the Northern players, even though the USF announcer said it was the last "cool" day before 5 months of real heat sets in down there. All indications are that the Gophers players were making do with the hand they were dealt. Maybe they'll be more rested today, Saturday?
    I don't know if they're more well rested today or not. Posted a nice win against Wichita State in game one, but are in big trouble against a midling-at-best Florida Gulf Coast team in game two.

If they drop this one, and I'm assuming they will down 4-0 against a pitcher whose ERA is less than one, it'd be their first truly bad loss (ratings wise) of the season. Whether it's because they're tired, it's hard to say.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Can't win them all. Looks like Burns and Lowary didn't travel this week. Must be dinged up. Would be nice to have those two on this road trip.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Apparently, to some, I am not a TRUE GOPHER SOFTBALL FAN. So will those of you that are please come forward and continue to talk about their games. I would like to hear all your comments on their loss to FGCU.

Apparently, to some, I am not a TRUE GOPHER SOFTBALL FAN. So will those of you that are please come forward and continue to talk about their games. I would like to hear all your comments on their loss to FGCU.
    My comment is that stuff happens and FGCU has a nice pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by ComoGopher View Post
    My comment is that stuff happens and FGCU has a nice pitcher.
    I saw only the games that were streamed. My comment is that the Gophers' hitting looked anemic; their bat speed was slow; they weren't aggressively attacking pitches (except maybe Partain & Denhartog). But I guess you don't need much hitting if you pitch a shutout every game. I assumed FGCU would be their easiest game. Shows how much I know. What indeed did happen there? Too lackadaisical?

Don't ever expect to sweep a 5-game weekend. I don't care who you are playing. What do you want to hear? They had a good inning against Sydney and we struggled early against a good pitcher. One of their good hits to the warning track went off of Maddies glove to score their runs, so it was inches away from being a different game. 2 wins against Texas is worth more than one loss against FGCU.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk