QB Recruiting

Stick is getting some buzz as an NFL caliber guy. With the success of Wentz, I would bet that Stick gets drafted.

Mitch Leidner was getting some buzz as an NFL caliber guy too at this point in the year at one time too

Stick is getting alot of top 3 NFL draft pick buzz.

well. hopefully the Gophers can get someone to rise to the top, it would help the program so much to have a steady guy for 3 years in a row

as far the ndsu fans comment. ndsu & gophers will never play again, over 50% of ndsu are minnesotans... and the better the gophers get...the better recruits ndsu will get in minnesota/midwest. its all good.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180615-120929_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20180615-120929_Twitter.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 63

well. hopefully the Gophers can get someone to rise to the top, it would help the program so much to have a steady guy for 3 years in a row

as far the ndsu fans comment. ndsu & gophers will never play again, over 50% of ndsu are minnesotans... and the better the gophers get...the better recruits ndsu will get in minnesota/midwest. its all good.

That list is pretty laughable. You cite some schmuck who no one has ever heard of with only half of the QBs on multiple preseason watch lists (Grier, Patterson, Stidham, and Herbert). No Mcsorley, Thorson, Lock, or Finley. Sorry, hard to take this guy seriously just because he has a Twitter account.

That list is pretty laughable. You cite some schmuck who no one has ever heard of with only half of the QBs on multiple preseason watch lists (Grier, Patterson, Stidham, and Herbert). No Mcsorley, Thorson, Lock, or Finley. Sorry, hard to take this guy seriously just because he has a Twitter account.

Mcsorley is a good college qb, but he’s less than 200 lbs and 6’ is a stretch. He gets a lot of balls batted and doesn’t have a nfl arm imo. So there’s that. At least he’s done some winning, the rest of your list has a lot to prove.

Mcsorley is a good college qb, but he’s less than 200 lbs and 6’ is a stretch. He gets a lot of balls batted and doesn’t have a nfl arm imo. So there’s that. At least he’s done some winning, the rest of your list has a lot to prove.

Every QB I listed is getting more legit draft buzz than your guy Stick, Tate, Neal, and Milton (who is even smaller than McSorley). Lock and Finley are getting first round mentions in mock drafts.

Donnick is just some guy with a Twitter account who blogs on obscure draft sites as far as I can tell. It's hard to take him seriously.

I am kind of surprised PJ (to my knowledge) hasn't gotten in the market for any of these highly touted QB's who have chosen to transfer. The Gophers have to have one of the least threatening QB depth charts in the Power 5 (both this coming season and in PJ's first season) and you would think that would be a major selling point. The counter to that is maybe PJ feels like it would be tough to instill his culture with a QB (generally the leader/face of the team) who has come from another school.

I am kind of surprised PJ (to my knowledge) hasn't gotten in the market for any of these highly touted QB's who have chosen to transfer. The Gophers have to have one of the least threatening QB depth charts in the Power 5 (both this coming season and in PJ's first season) and you would think that would be a major selling point. The counter to that is maybe PJ feels like it would be tough to instill his culture with a QB (generally the leader/face of the team) who has come from another school.

We'll likely need to start having a positive track record before transfers would take coming to Mn seriously.

Your last sentence is just about verbatim what he stated on an interview a few weeks ago. He said he won’t be looking at transfers for at least a few years.

This is fine and all, but we can't afford to play down to below our competition. Other than figuring out how to retain Minnesota players that could play in the BigTen, I see little value here. We need to forge our own identity. An identity that will be successful in the BigTen.

No slight to NDSU, but we are not in each others conferences. Beating NDSU is NOT our goal. Respect them, but I want us to focus on success within the BigTen.

We are on the doorstep. My hope is that this staff will be able to help the team kick the door down!

That's probably how Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas State, Colorado State and Kansas fans probably feel as well as Gopher fans. A loss to NDSU is a tough pill to swallow. Oregon, Arizona and Colorado fans will soon learn the same lesson. :rolleyes:

I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt but then I see your signature line

5 time National Champs, #2 overall NFL pick in Carson Wentz, 2 ESPN gamedays, 9 NFL players in 2016

You realize this is a Gopher board, right?

That's probably how Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas State, Colorado State and Kansas fans probably feel as well as Gopher fans. A loss to NDSU is a tough pill to swallow. Oregon, Arizona and Colorado fans will soon learn the same lesson. :rolleyes:

I'm a beaver fan as far as Oregon teams go, but the ducks will destroy the bison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We'll likely need to start having a positive track record before transfers would take coming to Mn seriously.

Not only that, PJ Fleck did mention cultural contamination at a leadership position as a factor. He'd say that you have to be careful with QB transfer. And I supposed, the cultural transformation in addition to a positive track record will have to be in play before the Gophers get attention.

I watched a whole season and have no idea what fleck wants in a QB.

Pro Style passer with strong arm; running optional
A spread 3 step thrower that can run
An option runner to hammer it inside like Leidner, with a descent arm
A Running QB with wiggle, arm optional
A Thrower that gets out on the edge and is a duel threat

Always the scariest type.

I do agree though, not sure what our identity on offense is going to be yet.. Does Clark have running ability/athleticism? Are we trying to be more like Penn State or Michigan State?

Aaron Burr, sir.

His preference is a QB who can run his version of RPO...Someone who can make the needed pre-snap reads, who an accurate passer who is runs only when needed or opportunistically to extend the play.

1 season in Fleck appears to be Kill 2.0. succeeded in the MAC and got a Big Ten payday. 1 QB gone...so similar to the Kill era.

1 season in Fleck appears to be Kill 2.0. succeeded in the MAC and got a Big Ten payday. 1 QB gone...so similar to the Kill era.

Can we give it more than one season before we start declaring that Fleck can't cut it? Rhoda and Demry weren't exactly great options to turn to.

I think MN should run an offense similar to WI. QB should be handing off or throwing, not running much. Use your stable of RBs to take hits, not your QB. Find a smart QB to read defenses with a strong arm to throw it, not another RB. More than 5 carries by my QB is too much.

Can we give it more than one season before we start declaring that Fleck can't cut it? Rhoda and Demry weren't exactly great options to turn to.

Of course Fleck gets more time but yr 1 was crap offensive calls and then a qb leaves . It’s just like Kill. Crap year and a qb leaves.

His preference is a QB who can run his version of RPO...Someone who can make the needed pre-snap reads, who an accurate passer who is runs only when needed or opportunistically to extend the play.

Oh, just a QB who can make all of the correct pre-snap reads, make every throw, make every correct decision in regards to pulling it down and running, and has the athletic ability to extent broken plays for first downs? That's it?

Sounds reasonable enough. Just let me see if the lab is done putting Peyton Manning's brain, Tom Brady's heart, and Aaron Rodgers' arm onto Cam Newton's body.

I think MN should run an offense similar to WI. QB should be handing off or throwing, not running much. Use your stable of RBs to take hits, not your QB. Find a smart QB to read defenses with a strong arm to throw it, not another RB. More than 5 carries by my QB is too much.

Some of the top programs that can afford to try and still play walrus ball are turning to dual threat. Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, Penn State have converted. USC, Stanford, Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, Washington are some of the holdouts that still recruit mostly pro style statues. You’re right, smart QBs with cannon arms can pick apart defenses, particularly if their supporting cast is also good or they’re playing lesser defenses. I would argue though, that a good dual threat, vs college level defenses, is an ideal weapon for a struggling program to get better on offense. Wisconsin has been so good recently because of their defense, more so than their boring offense. I think there is a limit that middling programs like Iowa or Wisconsin will reach with the talent at their disposal. Obviously dual threats give more of a numbers adbpvantage back to the offense. If they can’t throw...or the receivers can’t get open or catch...same problems.

I should say that when executed with top shelf talent pro style can be fun and effective. Stanford is much, much better than Wisconsin in every way and is pretty enjoyable to watch. A constipated Iowa or grab-happy Wisconsin team, not so much.

Mitch Leidner was getting some buzz as an NFL caliber guy too at this point in the year at one time too

Leidner had one analyst who pegged him as a late 1st round pick. I don't think it was any consistent buzz, just one guy. Could be wrong though. Either way, it doesn't exclude Stick from being an NFL prospect.

Leidner had one analyst who pegged him as a late 1st round pick. I don't think it was any consistent buzz, just one guy. Could be wrong though. Either way, it doesn't exclude Stick from being an NFL prospect.

My point wasn't that it excludes Stick from being an NFL prospect. I'm saying the buzz doesn't matter. Stick probably has a better shot in the long run than Leidner ever did though.

We got a 6'5 kid from Texas with multiple offers. We were in on other top QB talent. I believe we're trending up in regards.

Oh, just a QB who can make all of the correct pre-snap reads, make every throw, make every correct decision in regards to pulling it down and running, and has the athletic ability to extent broken plays for first downs? That's it?

Sounds reasonable enough. Just let me see if the lab is done putting Peyton Manning's brain, Tom Brady's heart, and Aaron Rodgers' arm onto Cam Newton's body.

Nice job with all the qualifiers and embellishments to my post. He developed Terrell at WMU to do just what I posted. That's how Fleck wants to run his RPO version.

I'll trot this out again...best concise explanation I've read on Fleck's RPO offense. Starts about half-way down.

If the Broncos need to throw to convert a passing down, they’ll again use alignments to create an easy read for the QB and an easy opportunity for a main receiver to get the ball.

The first slot receiver runs inside to draw in the linebackers, leaving Davis isolated in man coverage on the nickel. Davis sets up his man with a head fake and then wins inside for some easy pitch-and-catch.

Almost every play is either targeted to get the ball to a key player or to stress the defense with a spread-option concept. WMU likes how it’s going to go, either way.

If you’re game-planning for Western Michigan, you can expect to see lots of formations, only a few concepts (but all executed at a high level), and plenty of option plays designed to prevent you from keying in on both the lead runner and the lead receiver. You have to pick someone.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/11/19/13577022/pj-fleck-coach-western-michigan-wmu

If "Fighting Sioux" is racist, then so is "Fighting Illini", "Fighting Irish", etc

Only one had to change, let that be a guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom