Cedric Thompson video: The end of my career .. | Football is all over for me.

1500: Cedric Thompson is finally at peace

For dramatic purposes, Cedric Thompson wishes he wasn’t like a jellybean – hard on the outside, soft on the inside. Maybe it would have hit a little harder for people watching on their computers and phones if he could have fully shown how he was feeling inside the moment he told his agent that he was done with football.

Thompson’s videos are normally complex and meticulously edited. This one is a single shot, like something out of a foreign film. He sits down, puts the phone on speaker, calls agent David Canter and tells one of his biggest supporters that his football journey is over.

“The hardest part, when David was talking to me, hearing from David, ‘I just feel like you never got a fair shot,’ that was so hard for me to hear,” Thompson says, taking a pause from his enthusiastic disposition on a sunny day.

The former Minnesota Gopher and Minnesota Viking recently took a swing at the CFL after Canter ran out of NFL leads for him. Thompson attended a tryout in Florida, but at the end he was given a plane ticket home rather than a contract. All said and done, he made stops in Miami, New England, Minnesota and Cincinnati. In another video, he puts the majority of his team-issued gear up for sale.

Thompson started a YouTube page after was released by the Patriots on August 21, 2016. His first video, titled “What if the mail lady comes?’ got around 8,000 views. In his first video, Thompson sat on some steps and quietly introduced himself and talked about his love for art. He proceeded to make videos about everything from a trip to Ikea to his wife’s pregnancy to reuniting his broken family.

“Pick up a camera, saw a vision of how I wanted it, tried it, didn’t like it, remembered that, picked it up again, try it again and OK I got it now,” Thompson said. “No classes, just straight up passion and learning from mistakes. When I did something good, I kept doing it. All the things I learned from football. It’s about repetition, it’s about game planning, it’s about watching film, knowing your opponent. I study other people who are good at it. I didn’t copy what they did, I just applied what they did to my game. Like in the NFL, it’s a copycat league. If you see a play that works, you’d be dumb not to try it and see if it works for you.”

When he was released by the Vikings in May 2017, the subsequent video got 2.1 million plays.

Talk about God closing one door and opening up a window. Thompson’s releases ultimately led him down his new career path. He likes to call it, “social media influencer,” but there’s a lot of different ways you could label his endeavor. Vlogger. YouTuber. Entertainer.

But it’s more than all that. It’s a place for Thompson to find himself. To work through the volatile upbringing that shaped him and find purpose beyond football.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/05/cedric-thompson-finally-peace/

Go Gophers!!

Great article, thank you for sharing it. He's at the top of my list of favorites.

I wish him all the best! He entertained us in the stands with his effort and passion.

Been following his Youtube stuff for a year, he's been getting pretty good at editing/producing and they just had a kid a couple months ago

what about the newly formed Spring League?

Cedric show stay in shape and try out for the Spring League next season. They had some players land NFL contracts out of there this past Spring.

If you haven't seen the documentary Bombay Beach, featuring a young Cedric Thompson, do find it somewhere. It is an overall great doc and seeing a young Cedric and knowing how his career ends up is heartwarming.

Top Bottom