JJ Watt, I forgive you for going to Wisconsin

BroncoRedux

Reaction score
Houston Texans star J.J. Watt has notified Santa Fe High School that he will pay the funeral expenses of the victims of Friday's mass shooting that left 10 people dead and 10 others wounded, according to multiple reports.

He seems like a real great dude. His parents should be very proud of him .

Yeah, I know I'm not supposed to like him, but I find it impossible to dislike him. True class in every sense of the word.

He is an absolute hero in the Houston area. All the girls are in love with him. He also raised over $35 million for Hurricane Harvey Relief in the greater Houston area. The guy just gets it!

It is a nice gesture, but it still feels a little hollow. I would refuse it if it were my child. I wouldn’t want some celebrity coming in and trying to be the hero on this tragedy. I suspect that is not his mindset, but look at all the press drooling all over his gesture of kindness. It distracts from the real conversation. Where was his concern before this happen in trying to prevent it?

Yeah, I know I'm not supposed to like him, but I find it impossible to dislike him. True class in every sense of the word.

Yup. I root against him on the football field.....for being a Badger.....but it's hard to dislike someone who puts their fame to good use in order to help others.

Watt does a lot for the community, much more than I have or ever will. I just wish he did it a bit more quietly. There are a lot of athletes doing great things out there, not everyone needs to tweet about it and make sure it's a story. I understand the nuance to that criticism and would withhold judgement if it happened occassionally. It SEEMS every time JJ does something, we all know about it.

Watt does a lot for the community, much more than I have or ever will. I just wish he did it a bit more quietly. There are a lot of athletes doing great things out there, not everyone needs to tweet about it and make sure it's a story. I understand the nuance to that criticism and would withhold judgement if it happened occassionally. It SEEMS every time JJ does something, we all know about it.

Kind of like our current coach that way. PJ does a lot of good things, and has his players do so as well. He also makes sure everyone knows it. It doesn’t make what he did less important, but it does lead people to question the authenticity of the work.

Like Watt, there are many players doing good work that choose not to have everyone know about it. Our previous football coaches, and other current coaches such as Pitino, have had players doing some of the very same things our current football players are, but they just didn’t/don’t broadcast it as much.

In the end, it’s good to help your community in a positive way, and hopefully it influences others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind of like our current coach that way. PJ does a lot of good things, and has his players do so as well. He also makes sure everyone knows it. It doesn’t make what he did less important, but it does lead people to question the authenticity of the work.

Like Watt, there are many players doing good work that choose not to have everyone know about it. Our previous football coaches, and other current coaches such as Pitino, have had players doing some of the very same things our current football players are, but they just didn’t/don’t broadcast it as much.

In the end, it’s good to help your community in a positive way, and hopefully it influences others.

For me, I'm more open to it with PJ as he is a public figure using it as a recruiting/institutional marketing.

With JJ, I don't buy into that "build your brand stuff" even though it's 100% valid in today's world.

It is a nice gesture, but it still feels a little hollow. I would refuse it if it were my child. I wouldn’t want some celebrity coming in and trying to be the hero on this tragedy. I suspect that is not his mindset, but look at all the press drooling all over his gesture of kindness. It distracts from the real conversation. Where was his concern before this happen in trying to prevent it?

He does a ton for that community. Just because this is “reactionary” to the event I wouldn’t consider it hollow. These families are all dealing with a tragedy there is no way to prepare for and he is just helping out. I’m sure he has concerns about school shootings, who doesn’t? But aside from the whole take guns away from everybody and put officers in every school (both of which aren’t realistic) I haven’t heard of many other ideas. I don’t want to turn this into a political rant. Watt seems to be an awesome dude who helps a lot of people out in the worst of times and donates to a ton of charities.

This guy is awesome (even if he was a Badger).

For me, I'm more open to it with PJ as he is a public figure using it as a recruiting/institutional marketing.

With JJ, I don't buy into that "build your brand stuff" even though it's 100% valid in today's world.

So it’s ok to publicize your generosity for recruiting college football players, which in turn would lead to winning more games and getting a higher salary, but not for building your own brand?

Maybe Watt enjoys the publicity and patting himself on the back. Maybe the media follows his every move and publicizes it. Why not give the guy the benefit of the doubt?

If Watt has been a Gopher this would all be great, but he wasn’t....

I have never heard a person in the Houston community accuse Watt of being charitable for his own personal gain. I choose to think nothing but the best of his intentions. By picking up the funeral costs, the families and loved ones won't have to worry about, not only the money, but everything else that goes along with a funeral.

We are lucky to have JJ support our community.

Why do some people always look for the negative in all situations all the time. Quit being so negative thinking the worst when something good was done for others.

Can't forget the millions he raised for Hurricane Relief for the Houston area either.

Here's to you Mr.Watt. :drink:

So it’s ok to publicize your generosity for recruiting college football players, which in turn would lead to winning more games and getting a higher salary, but not for building your own brand?

Maybe Watt enjoys the publicity and patting himself on the back. Maybe the media follows his every move and publicizes it. Why not give the guy the benefit of the doubt?

If Watt has been a Gopher this would all be great, but he wasn’t....
Like I said. I think there is nuance to whether JJ is looking for the publicity or the media is giving it to him.

I can’t help but think someone that is sooo often in the limelight for being charitable is doing so to build a brand for themselves. Like I stated, I understand it, but don’t like it.

Pjs job is to build a brand for the university he works for. He’s paid for it. We here critique if he’s building the brand of the university or for himself.

Net net, both are doing great things and I’d never want JJ to not do the things he’s doing so I don’t have to hear about it. The world is most definitely a better place because of JJ Watt.

I’d do it differently, and that doesn’t make me right.

My goodness you're a tool. Let's hope you never have to make this decision.
It's a genuine blessing. Perhaps it would be better if no one knew what he did, but it's still a genuine blessing.

Why do some people always look for the negative in all situations all the time. Quit being so negative thinking the worst when something good was done for others.

I am mister positivity, but it just feels odd to praise a high profile celebrity that is willing to pay for funerals of students that were innocently gunned down at their school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My goodness you're a tool. Let's hope you never have to make this decision.
It's a genuine blessing. Perhaps it would be better if no one knew what he did, but it's still a genuine blessing.

A blessing? Really? A blessing would have been preventing these terrible killings. Just because he is willing to give some of his pocket change to clean up the blood after the fact is not a blessing. Like I said, his intentions are most likely good, but I would not want his fckg money, I would want my child back!
It is like all the hollow thoughts and prayer comments:
c85c11d46619bbfd2ed7ab1e64d38f49.jpg

A blessing? Really? A blessing would have been preventing these terrible killings. Just because he is willing to give some of his pocket change to clean up the blood after the fact is not a blessing. Like I said, his intentions are most likely good, but I would not want his fckg money, I would want my child back!

Did I say the deaths of these 10 people was a blessing? No, I didn't. But paying for the funeral costs is a blessing to these grieving families. Stop being a prick.

He lent his name in the Hurricane relief..He raised a lot of money. He was visible and actually stood in line loading trucks and a lot more. He feels blessed being able to play a game and get rewarded for it. He doesn't care what you think of him..Just send the money! Oh and he does have that place in the woods too. He just doesn't talk about it. He's genuine and feels its his responsibility to help. If he gets a lot of pats on the back so be it. As long as he is successful helping the people that need help that's all that matters to him.

We could have a thread going about the weather and you'd find a way to criticize Fleck in it. :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with promoting the work your program is doing in the community. Pitino and the basketball program do it all the time.

As for Watt, I bet his promoting the hurricane relief raised a lot more funds than if he didn't promote it.

I am mister positivity, but it just feels odd to praise a high profile celebrity that is willing to pay for funerals of students that were innocently gunned down at their school.

Yes, definitely Mr. Positivity. Maybe JJ can solve the drug problem, cancer, distracted driving, the Syrian conflict, Arab-Israeli tensions, the Sudanese conflict, depression, bipolar, slow internet, traffic jams, limited McRib availability and every other cause of human misery and suffering around the planet. It’s a long off-season, after all. Like everything else, it’s not as simple as you think.

It is like all the hollow thoughts and prayer comments:

This isn't at all like what you refer to as "hollow thoughts and prayer comments." He is offering tangible relief for a real cost that these families will be incurring as a result of the tragedy. Of course they would rather have their kids back, but it's not like he just said "I'll be thinking of you."

Top Bottom