Jim Calhoun says he expects to coach nascent Saint Joseph program

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Noreaga Davis acknowledges being a little starstruck when Hall of Fame coach Jim Calhoun came to see him play high school basketball.

The 6-foot-3 small forward from Notre Dame-Fairfield in Connecticut, is one of about a dozen players Calhoun has recruited as he helps build a new basketball program for the tiny University of Saint Joseph, a Division III school located in suburban Hartford.

The former all-women's school recently began admitting men and begins playing men's basketball in November.

"This was my first time meeting like a real legendary coach," Davis said. "A few minutes after, I had to take a minute and be like, 'Wow, I just met Jim Calhoun.'"

The Hall of Famer said Wednesday that he wants to become the first men's coach at the Catholic university, which has a total enrollment of about 2,400 students and a gym that seats about 1,200 people.

Since taking on the job as program architect last September, Calhoun said he has enjoyed getting back into the game, going to dozens of gyms and watching high school and prep school games while competing in recruiting circles, even at the Division III level. He has also been working to secure funding for new basketball facilities at Saint Joseph.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...cts-coach-division-iii-saint-joseph-blue-jays

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom