Shama: Pitino Moves Lift Gopher Outlook

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

It’s been an interesting couple of months since Richard Pitino’s Golden Gophers finished their disappointing 15-17 season. Minnesota’s head basketball coach has replaced two assistant coaches (Ben Johnson and Kimani Young who took other jobs) and added three players.

In five seasons leading the Gophers Pitino has produced one NCAA Tournament team and only one year been above .500 in Big Ten games. Last season was among the most disappointing in program history—starting out with conference title dreams and collapsing in January with the suspension of center Reggie Lynch and the shoulder injury to Amir Coffey.

Pitino is on the hot seat with fans, and perhaps the University of Minnesota administration, but next season looks intriguing. The versatile Coffey returns, ready to help at forward or guard. The junior from Hopkins High School should be among the Big Ten’s better players, and joins senior forward Jordan Murphy in that category. A third starter returns in senior guard Dupree McBrayer, plus Minnesota has promising talent in sophomore guard Isaiah Washington and redshirt sophomore forward Eric Curry.

Pitino’s in-state recruiting reputation got a boost with the incoming freshmen class of three Minnesotans—Gabe Kalscheur (DeLaSalle), Jarvis Omersa (Orono), and Daniel Oturu (Cretin-Derham Hall). It was painful for Gopher fans watching former Maple Grove all-stater Brad Davison star for the Badgers last season as one of the better freshmen point guards in the country. Word is Davison is already revered in Madison, not only as a player but for his character and leadership.

Pitino’s freshmen will add depth next fall, and promise for more help in future seasons. Oturu’s recent shoulder surgery is a setback for his offseason development and could mean his early minutes in nonconference games are more limited than they otherwise would be. Oturu could be the team’s center of the future and is a multi-skilled player.

There have been a lot of changes in a short time for Pitino’s program. Give him credit for being proactive and creating optimism about the future.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Not to quibble, but isn't it the Coach's job to be pro-active and try and create optimism for the future? What other options did he have - do nothing?

It always strikes me as interesting when people get credit for doing their job. As if doing your job was optional. "Hey, way to go - you showed up for work today. Great Job!"

Don't get me wrong - I hope Pitino's moves do turn out to be positive, and the team has a good season. I'm just not going to throw the coach a ticker-tape parade for doing what he's supposed to do.

Not to quibble, but isn't it the Coach's job to be pro-active and try and create optimism for the future? What other options did he have - do nothing?

It always strikes me as interesting when people get credit for doing their job. As if doing your job was optional. "Hey, way to go - you showed up for work today. Great Job!"

Don't get me wrong - I hope Pitino's moves do turn out to be positive, and the team has a good season. I'm just not going to throw the coach a ticker-tape parade for doing what he's supposed to do.

Your assumption may be correct, but how often have we seen it with the Gopher coaches in the last 25 yrs?

Pitino did a well above average job in the off season..... I think that is what he is trying to say.

my 2 cents

Everyone has differing opinions on what should be Pitino ‘s priorities in his job. It doesn’t hurt to give a little praise when someone does what “you” think they should be doing. It is called positive reinforcement or at least a little acknowledgement for doing the job right. Lord knows, he has heard more than his share of what he is doing wrong (or perceived as doing it wrong, e.g. this year’s coaching changes and recruiting).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it's not worth getting upset about, but really annoys me that Shama intimates that all gophers fans have Pitino on the hot seat. Also, the administration has him on the hot seat? Guess I missed reading anything about that. Mr. Shama could have provided much more context to this past season as well. Bugs me. Serenity now

Top Bottom