Royce White suspended 11 games (5th suspension this year); Canadian team cuts him

My reasoning for giving the mental health issues the lions share of the blame here is because by all accounts White is an intelligent guy. All of his actions publicly have been self destructive and in no way could they help him achieve what he claims he wants. Is he arrogant, narcissistic, all of that? Definitely. But those traits aren't deal breakers to be successful, especially in sports where a large percentage of players and coaches have those same traits. So if a smart guy consistently makes dumb choices and seems to be self destructive, that sounds a lot like mental health issues to me. He was doing fine at DLS and then got caught cheating which he more than likely didn't need to do. He was all set to be a star at the U then out of nowhere pulled the MOA stunt. He got drafted in the 1st round then essentially broke down. He's self destructive beyond reason which is again, why I believe that mental health is a huge part of it

I think White could have been an All Star level NBA player. That he was a league MVP last season (even in Canada) when most thought he was out of basketball speaks immensely to the talent he has.

Many types of coaches and mentors have tried and failed to reach him. There comes a point when it's obvious that the one consistent feature in many, many dysfunctional relationships with Royce is Royce.

I definitely would have taken a year or two of 13 PPG, 9 RPG and 5 APG for the gophers. He was the only player in the country to lead his team in points, rebounds , assists, steals and blocks. It would have been worth it.

Imagine a team with Royce, Trevor, Devoe Joseph, Justin Cobbs and Colton Iverson. Those guys all went on to do great things after they transferred. Then you'd still have Rodney and Sampson as well.
Agreed, as unfortunate as his moves in life have been it sure would have been a treat to see his skill level in a Gopher uniform play out even for just one season.

Top Bottom