STrib: Lindsay Whalen juggling her two jobs well so far

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Lindsay Whalen, the veteran Lynx point guard and rookie Gophers women’s basketball coach, had just a few minutes the other day between jobs.

Those few moments, in between scoring 11 points while running a WNBA offense and preparing for her first season as a coach, came two Sundays ago on the Lynx team bus ride back to the Twin Cities from a preseason game in Iowa.

Then she picked up her phone. Game (back) on.

She had logged 18 preseason minutes on the court that day, and now the action was on in a different arena: recruiting.

Gophers assistant coach Carly Thibault-DuDonis called about Stillwater’s star guard Sara Scalia wanting to chat. Whalen sent a text message to Scalia that she’d call shortly.

Once Whalen settled into her seat on the bus, she hooked up with the Ponies junior sharpshooter who recently visited campus. It was good news: Scalia wanted to be a Gopher. Whalen had locked up her first recruit.

“I’d like to scream right now,” said Whalen, according to Scalia’s father, “but I’m on the bus with all of my teammates.”

That’s Whalen’s juggling act, as she builds her program while trying to lead the Lynx to another WNBA title. But Scalia said it was clear that her future coach can do both. Whalen already has a recruiting focus.

“When I was with Lindsay on the visit, she said she wanted to keep a lot of people in her home state and build something here,” Scalia said. “I definitely think we can get some top players in the state now that Lindsay’s here.”

http://www.startribune.com/lindsay-whalen-juggling-her-two-jobs-well-so-far/482870161/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom