CBS: Big Ten strength of schedule rankings 2018 (Easiest schedule: Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

14 MINNESOTA
Both Illinois and Iowa have FCS opponents, which dragged their schedules down. Minnesota does not, yet it still managed to finish last in these rankings. It's thanks in large part to a nonconference schedule that includes New Mexico State, Fresno State and Miami (Ohio) all at home. In B1G play, the Gophers get Iowa, Indiana, Purdue and Northwestern at home, and have road trips against Maryland, Ohio State, Nebraska, Illinois and Wisconsin. So it won't be easy, but compared to their Big Ten brethren, it might be easier than others.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...2018-ohio-state-iowa-have-it-relatively-easy/

Go Gophers!!

7-5 should be the lowest expectation. Anything less will be cause for concern.

Edit: I'll change my answer to 7-5 minimum for a successful season, 6-6 is a disappointing season, 5-7 or worse is cause for concern.

per CBS:

14 MINNESOTA
Both Illinois and Iowa have FCS opponents, which dragged their schedules down. Minnesota does not, yet it still managed to finish last in these rankings. It's thanks in large part to a nonconference schedule that includes New Mexico State, Fresno State and Miami (Ohio) all at home. In B1G play, the Gophers get Iowa, Indiana, Purdue and Northwestern at home, and have road trips against Maryland, Ohio State, Nebraska, Illinois and Wisconsin. So it won't be easy, but compared to their Big Ten brethren, it might be easier than others.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...2018-ohio-state-iowa-have-it-relatively-easy/

Go Gophers!!
How long will it take before PJFleck is blamed for this? 2minutes, or 2 hours. I am sure it is coming.

How long will it take before PJFleck is blamed for this? 2minutes, or 2 hours. I am sure it is coming.

Fleck should have told Kill and mega-tongue what he wanted when these non-conference games were scheduled.

I would hope most people on Gopher Hole know well enough. You'll have to wait until the StarTribune posts a related article before you can read the ignorant diatribes.

No worries Petey. They'll be plenty of people on here telling you how tough it will be to win with that schedule.

No worries Petey. They'll be plenty of people on here telling you how tough it will be to win with that schedule.

I read somewhere we only have 9 scholarship seniors. Hard to win with a roster like that.

I read somewhere we only have 9 scholarship seniors. Hard to win with a roster like that.
Yep, in Year 1 we're just looking for someone the youngin's can feel good about beating. Strength of schedule is a moot point this year.

Another depressing day on Gopher Hole. Many unhappy people posting today. My response is this. Gophers can't do it over night or in one season or two. Takes time much like all the other programs across the United States. Unfortunately people here micro manage everything and every word that is being said by Fleck. If Fleck bothers you that much, Trump the liar must really bother you (Trump lies on average 7 times a day misleading the country and staff).

Trump is also in Year 1 of his reign. Lay off, man. /s He also took a pay cut, I believe. :cool:

Easy schedules are something you can complain about I guess.... but we're hardly a team who can look past anyone so ...

Trump is also in Year 1 of his reign. Lay off, man. /s He also took a pay cut, I believe. :cool:

I hate both political parties (although I don't think Trump is in either) and I like our coach but this was pretty funny, well done sir.

It's thanks in large part to a nonconference schedule that includes New Mexico State, Fresno State and Miami (Ohio) all at home.

What? If they wanted to say that we have a relatively easy conference schedule (which I would agree with) then fine, but basing it on the nonconference schedule? Huh? Fresno St. was in the top 25 last year, and New Mexico St., while not being anything great, did win a bowl game last year. There have been many easier Big Ten nonconference schedules in recent years, including by the Gophers themselves.

lets hope 2018 is 2015 Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus bowl season part 2. Jerry Kill's Copse of Trees

Easy schedules are something you can complain about I guess.... but we're hardly a team who can look past anyone so ...

Exactly. There's no RPI consideration in college football for determining whether you make the postseason. If you're a Big Ten team with 6 wins you make a bowl, period. The easier the schedule, the better as far as I'm concerned. Besides, two of those non-conference opponents were bowl eligible last year, both won their bowls, and Fresno St. finished with 10 wins.

Predicting SOS before the season is iffy, at best. Between now and the fall, teams can and will be impacted by injuries, off-field issues, upperclassmen who don't live up to expectations, freshmen and transfers who play better than expectations, position changes, starters getting benched, and injuries. (yes, I know I listed injuries twice).

It's a virtual guarantee that the Gophers' depth chart on the 1st week of Fall Camp will look very different than the depth chart by the end of the season. And you can say the same about every team on the Gophers' schedule.

One of the main reasons why people love sports is that there is always the potential for surprises and upsets. That "easy" schedule in May may very well look a lot tougher in October, and vice-versa.

I'm not a big fan of predicting SOS prior to the season.
Same for Vikings SOS. Their schedule is supposed to be really tough this year, but who knows.

I'm a big believer in basing a team's success around their starting QB experience / playing level.
Until we know who our QB is, it will be hard for me to predict a lot of success.

What? If they wanted to say that we have a relatively easy conference schedule (which I would agree with) then fine, but basing it on the nonconference schedule? Huh? Fresno St. was in the top 25 last year, and New Mexico St., while not being anything great, did win a bowl game last year. There have been many easier Big Ten nonconference schedules in recent years, including by the Gophers themselves.

Agreed. It looks like the writer of the article mostly just eyeballed the schedules and based his assessment on general prestige over the past few years and not based on more concrete things like prior season computer rankings or outlook for this year.

I think this will be a fairly challenging OOC for the team this year. All winnable, but 1-2 could happen too.

Top Bottom