Marcus: Gopher basketball early projected lineup

Brad Stevens is almost certainly taking his team to the NBA Finals - with his two best players missing. Great coaches deal with imperfect situations and win anyway. It's not a solid example.

60s guy writes a short book expressing optimism regarding our players and also gives coach a reprieve at the end of his writing. Your response is to bash Pitino.

As a Pitino supporter, I will say he needs to recruit a deeper roster and I saw too much of the weave last season. As a Pitino detractor, I'm wondering if you can say anything at all positive about Pitino? about the team even?

60s guy writes a short book expressing optimism regarding our players and also gives coach a reprieve at the end of his writing. Your response is to bash Pitino.

As a Pitino supporter, I will say he needs to recruit a deeper roster and I saw too much of the weave last season. As a Pitino detractor, I'm wondering if you can say anything at all positive about Pitino? about the team even?

A positive thing about Pitino: he will hopefully be someone else's problem after next year. He may even turn into a good head coach down the line for someone else after the very expensive OJT we've provided for him the past six years.

About the team: there are some talented players and hopefully they will blossom under a better coach after next season.

A positive thing about Pitino: he will hopefully be someone else's problem after next year. He may even turn into a good head coach down the line for someone else after the very expensive OJT we've provided for him the past six years.

About the team: there are some talented players and hopefully they will blossom under a better coach after next season.

So no, you can’t.

You have nothing positive to say about a coach who delivered us our first winning B1G record in over a decade. A coach who delivered our best season by winning percentage in two decades. A coach who separately delivered a season with the most wins in two decades. A coach who won COTY and has recruited and developed multiple All-B1G stars.

The Pitino supporters on this board will acknowledge his deficiencies while maintaining the opinion that he is a coach that gives this program great potential. So why can’t you say anything positive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Credit to you for certainly staying consistent in your message throughout your posts, I guess. Thanks for responding.

How pathetic, letting your emotions cloud your judgement and robbing you from enjoying you favorite team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While I understand and somewhat agree with the sentiment that great coaches deal with imperfect situations...Brad Stevens is not a good example. He has two top 3 picks with Tatum and Brown along with an excellent supporting cast of Rozier, Smart and other role players. The Celtics have incredible depth behind Hayward and Irving, something the Gophers had zero of last year. While I agree that depth issues are ultimately on Pitino, the situations are certainly not apples to apples between the Gophers and Celtics.

It's the way Brad Stevens has utilized the Rozier's, Smart's, and other role players that is fascinating (to me).

Let's take a look at the depth that the Celtics have created and Brad Stevens has utilized brilliantly.

Terry Rozier? It's easy to look at him now and talk about the immense amount of depth he has provided, but look at his stats last year. He always did some things well, but there was no indication that this kind of player was in there.

Semi Ojeleye - He was a second round pick last year and he has provided good depth for the C's all year (16 mpg in regular season / 15 mpg in post season).

Greg Monroe - Yeah, he sort of fell in their lap, but he didn't join the team until February. It's important to note, a lot of other teams could have pursued him more aggressively as well.

Aron Baynes - He signed a very small contract in the offseason. He has been a pivotal addition to the Celtics.

Marcus Morris - Acquired for Avery Bradley (at the time the deal was mocked a bit as a bad move), but the deal opened up room for guys like Rozier, Smart, and Tatum to get max amount of minutes and added more frontline depth, especially frontline depth that could stretch the floor.

Larkin - Anyone could have signed this guy and no one wanted to. Stevens wanted Larkin because as much as he likes Rozier and Smart, he wanted to have more ball handling depth.

My point - - the precise thing Stevens and the Celtics have done incredibly has been Pitino's biggest weakness (IMO). The Celtics have found ways to add depth to the 9-13 parts of their lineup. When injuries hit, they had the depth to not completely crumble. I don't know if Boston comes out of the East this year, but they are unquestionably one of the better teams in the East without two of their best players. They have so much depth at the bottom of their depth chart that they could probably sustain ANOTHER injury and still be one of the better teams in the East.

Just to further go down the road of people defending Pitino. Where was this defense to Tubby? Pitino's bad luck here is a MN thing more than a Pitino thing. Tubby had seasons derailed by injuries to Al Nolen and Trevor Mbakwe. He had non-injury issues with Royce White, Devoe Joseph, Mo Walker, and Justin Cobbs. I understood not cutting Tubby slack for off-the-court issues, but how is the Reggie Lynch thing not partly on Pitino? How is the Dorsey-McBrayer-Mason thing not partly on Pitino?

I think the title "Elite Poster" has more to do with the quantity of posts, not the quality....How many of DeePo's almost 17000 posts have had anything positive to say about Gopher sports? Now, give him his due....he can certainly rile up the crowd, and maybe that is his only intent. More power to him....quite a schtick!

I think the title "Elite Poster" has more to do with the quantity of posts, not the quality....How many of DeePo's almost 17000 posts have had anything positive to say about Gopher sports? Now, give him his due....he can certainly rile up the crowd, and maybe that is his only intent. More power to him....quite a schtick!
You misunderstand dpo. At the center is a data machine crunching the numbers. Look at the numbers and see what he brings regarding factual accuracy. We don't always agree, but I tip the hat to his dogged reliance upon factual data. Dpo makes this site a better and more grounded place to attend.
Dpo, thanks for the role you play...even if we disagree at times.

It's the way Brad Stevens has utilized the Rozier's, Smart's, and other role players that is fascinating (to me).

Let's take a look at the depth that the Celtics have created and Brad Stevens has utilized brilliantly.

Terry Rozier? It's easy to look at him now and talk about the immense amount of depth he has provided, but look at his stats last year. He always did some things well, but there was no indication that this kind of player was in there.

Semi Ojeleye - He was a second round pick last year and he has provided good depth for the C's all year (16 mpg in regular season / 15 mpg in post season).

Greg Monroe - Yeah, he sort of fell in their lap, but he didn't join the team until February. It's important to note, a lot of other teams could have pursued him more aggressively as well.

Aron Baynes - He signed a very small contract in the offseason. He has been a pivotal addition to the Celtics.

Marcus Morris - Acquired for Avery Bradley (at the time the deal was mocked a bit as a bad move), but the deal opened up room for guys like Rozier, Smart, and Tatum to get max amount of minutes and added more frontline depth, especially frontline depth that could stretch the floor.

Larkin - Anyone could have signed this guy and no one wanted to. Stevens wanted Larkin because as much as he likes Rozier and Smart, he wanted to have more ball handling depth.

My point - - the precise thing Stevens and the Celtics have done incredibly has been Pitino's biggest weakness (IMO). The Celtics have found ways to add depth to the 9-13 parts of their lineup. When injuries hit, they had the depth to not completely crumble. I don't know if Boston comes out of the East this year, but they are unquestionably one of the better teams in the East without two of their best players. They have so much depth at the bottom of their depth chart that they could probably sustain ANOTHER injury and still be one of the better teams in the East.

Just to further go down the road of people defending Pitino. Where was this defense to Tubby? Pitino's bad luck here is a MN thing more than a Pitino thing. Tubby had seasons derailed by injuries to Al Nolen and Trevor Mbakwe. He had non-injury issues with Royce White, Devoe Joseph, Mo Walker, and Justin Cobbs. I understood not cutting Tubby slack for off-the-court issues, but how is the Reggie Lynch thing not partly on Pitino? How is the Dorsey-McBrayer-Mason thing not partly on Pitino?

I'm pretty sure Pitino got a ton of flack for the off the court issues. Hence why he did all the speakers in the summer two years ago. Pretty sure dudes been sticky up for Tubby on here for years too. Our memories are so short sometimes.

DPo your comparison of Stevens and Pitino is beyond one of the weaker arguments you've ever presented. Kind of sad I actually appreciate you bringing data and analysis to your arguments here.

I don't think anyone is giving Pitino a hard pass on last year. I think they just don't want to fire him over it. If there isn't improvement this year he will be gone. Coyotes proven that. Pitino knows that. Look at his interview today with Sid and Mona, he said they can't be young next year. He knows he needs to string a couple good seasons together.

You misunderstand dpo. At the center is a data machine crunching the numbers. Look at the numbers and see what he brings regarding factual accuracy. We don't always agree, but I tip the hat to his dogged reliance upon factual data. Dpo makes this site a better and more grounded place to attend.
Dpo, thanks for the role you play...even if we disagree at times.

I too appreciate facts brought to this board and I hope they continue to be shared. However, isn’t the off-season time for optimism, even misplaced optimism? Sort of like baseball spring training with the excited kids watching the future stars trying to make the team, and everyone excited about the offseason moves by the front office. There will be plenty of chances to criticize the team’s play and coaching come this fall. I think we actually have some positives to celebrate right now for a change (Oturu, Gabe, Jarvis, Carr, Stull and Willis).

I too appreciate facts brought to this board and I hope they continue to be shared. However, isn’t the off-season time for optimism, even misplaced optimism? Sort of like baseball spring training with the excited kids watching the future stars trying to make the team, and everyone excited about the offseason moves by the front office. There will be plenty of chances to criticize the team’s play and coaching come this fall. I think we actually have some positives to celebrate right now for a change (Oturu, Gabe, Jarvis, Carr, Stull and Willis).

You fail to understand the depth of cynicism that flows through a natural born Minnesotan...[emoji41]

Optimism is fine, but it has to be genuine. Phony optimism does no one, and no program, any good.

I consider myself a realist, because I can see both sides of an argument. I can see a scenario where the Gophers have a great season, and make a run in the NCAA tournament.

But, I can also see a scenario where things don't work out, and the team struggles.

So, no - I'm not going to come on here and jump up and down and scream about how great the Gophers are going to be. Because I don't feel that way. I really won't have a firm opinion on what this team is going to become until at least mid-season, and possibly not until they've played some conference games.

I want to see how the injured players look coming back from injury. I want to see how the transfers look as they fit into the system. And I want to see the incoming FR play to see how they acclimate to D1 hoops, and see what they might be able to contribute.

If, in some people's eyes, that makes me less of a fan because I don't express unfettered optimism, so be it. I do believe it will be a very interesting season, one way or another.

Maybe it's a by-product of age and experience. I've sat in a Williams arena that was so packed, you couldn't get another person in there with a shoehorn, watching people named McHale, Thompson, Lockhart, Williams, and a point guard named Saunders play for the Gophers. I've see truly great Gopher teams, and great individual players. I don't impress easy. Pitino has a long way to go to impress me. Maybe he will. We'll see.

Optimism is fine, but it has to be genuine. Phony optimism does no one, and no program, any good.

I consider myself a realist, because I can see both sides of an argument. I can see a scenario where the Gophers have a great season, and make a run in the NCAA tournament.

But, I can also see a scenario where things don't work out, and the team struggles.

So, no - I'm not going to come on here and jump up and down and scream about how great the Gophers are going to be. Because I don't feel that way. I really won't have a firm opinion on what this team is going to become until at least mid-season, and possibly not until they've played some conference games.

I want to see how the injured players look coming back from injury. I want to see how the transfers look as they fit into the system. And I want to see the incoming FR play to see how they acclimate to D1 hoops, and see what they might be able to contribute.

If, in some people's eyes, that makes me less of a fan because I don't express unfettered optimism, so be it. I do believe it will be a very interesting season, one way or another.

Maybe it's a by-product of age and experience. I've sat in a Williams arena that was so packed, you couldn't get another person in there with a shoehorn, watching people named McHale, Thompson, Lockhart, Williams, and a point guard named Saunders play for the Gophers. I've see truly great Gopher teams, and great individual players. I don't impress easy. Pitino has a long way to go to impress me. Maybe he will. We'll see.

You might be surprised to know I was in the same packed out Barn idolizing and cheering for those same players, and there was nothing like it. I want that to return in a big way.

I just choose to see a glass half-full right now. As you said yourself, you can see a possible scenario where this team could have a good season. As such, by your own admission, mine is not a “phony” optimism. Of course many things could go wrong and they could stink. Isn’t that pretty much true every year? In any case, I actually enjoy reading some of the ornery posters, as they often have some good points. I just can’t imagine it is all that fun to see things in that light.

Logic 101:

1. Pitino will not be fired after this year unless the Gophers fail.

2. You are opening rooting for Pitino to be fired after this year. There is no disputing that from your first sentence.

3. Ergo, you are openly rooting for the Gophers to fail.

That's certainly your right. Knock yourself out. Have a good time. But make sure you stay consistent to your beliefs and gnash your teeth in despair at any success the Gophers have this season.

So no, you can’t.

You have nothing positive to say about a coach who delivered us our first winning B1G record in over a decade. A coach who delivered our best season by winning percentage in two decades. A coach who separately delivered a season with the most wins in two decades. A coach who won COTY and has recruited and developed multiple All-B1G stars.

The Pitino supporters on this board will acknowledge his deficiencies while maintaining the opinion that he is a coach that gives this program great potential. So why can’t you say anything positive?

Glad he is back this year. I think what his detractors get frustrated by is this idea that some posters try and represent that he is one of the best 5-6 coaches in the conference and it is simply not true. He did hit a home run on the Jeter hire. Even in your post you say COTY but failed to point out that he was not national coach of the year, but that it was Big 10 COACH of the year. And that that was based mostly on a rebound from a horrendous season he created. That will never win the national coach of the year. He has assembled a roster for this year that i like. Most fans just want a even handed assessment of the job he has done, where it stands today, not some proclamation that he is one of the best.

Logic 101:

1. Pitino will not be fired after this year unless the Gophers fail.

2. You are opening rooting for Pitino to be fired after this year. There is no disputing that from your first sentence.

3. Ergo, you are openly rooting for the Gophers to fail.

That's certainly your right. Knock yourself out. Have a good time. But make sure you stay consistent to your beliefs and gnash your teeth in despair at any success the Gophers have this season.

You're right, I should've used the word "likely" instead of "hopefully." I would never root for the Gophers to fail. I'm not rooting against him and I'm not hoping that he fails - I'm just predicting that he will.

What I was trying to communicate (and chose my words poorly) is that I'm afraid that my worst fears will happen - that he will have another Big Ten season of 6-8 wins, more than earning a dismissal, and yet will be retained. That's what I meant by "hopefully" - that I hope he will be fired assuming that another poor season happens, as I predict that it will. If he wins 11-12 (or more) Big Ten games and makes the Tournament, I'll be as happy as anyone and rooting for Pitino to get an extension. I don't think that's going to happen.

Glad he is back this year. I think what his detractors get frustrated by is this idea that some posters try and represent that he is one of the best 5-6 coaches in the conference and it is simply not true. He did hit a home run on the Jeter hire. Even in your post you say COTY but failed to point out that he was not national coach of the year, but that it was Big 10 COACH of the year. And that that was based mostly on a rebound from a horrendous season he created. That will never win the national coach of the year. He has assembled a roster for this year that i like. Most fans just want a even handed assessment of the job he has done, where it stands today, not some proclamation that he is one of the best.

You say most fans want an "even handed assessment", yet other than the first sentence your writing is decidedly uneven.

Pitino supporters are admonished for thinking he might be one of the 5 or 6 best big ten coaches, yet you have no admonishment for those like the above poster who thinks he is decidedly the worst big ten coach and should be summarily fired. "Some proclamation that he is one of the best" is mocked, yet you write nothing about those who proclaim that he is one of the worst.
Doesn't seem "even handed".

You're right, I should've used the word "likely" instead of "hopefully." I would never root for the Gophers to fail. I'm not rooting against him and I'm not hoping that he fails - I'm just predicting that he will.

What I was trying to communicate (and chose my words poorly) is that I'm afraid that my worst fears will happen - that he will have another Big Ten season of 6-8 wins, more than earning a dismissal, and yet will be retained. That's what I meant by "hopefully" - that I hope he will be fired assuming that another poor season happens, as I predict that it will. If he wins 11-12 (or more) Big Ten games and makes the Tournament, I'll be as happy as anyone and rooting for Pitino to get an extension. I don't think that's going to happen.

Appreciate your clarification here. Despite being Tubby's biggest fan early on I have to admit toward the end I was kind of hoping he'd lose so we could move on. Too many of our best players were leaving the program before their senior year and an awful recruiting class which was going to be backed up by another bad class. Now, if Tubby would have made a final four run or something his final year I would have certainly been back on the bandwagon as well. Can't say I am necessarily proud to admit this and it wasn't a very enjoyable way to watch gopher games.

Where we will obviously differ is the thought that Pitino s coaching has no redeeming qualities and our expectations for the upcoming season. Time will tell.

You say most fans want an "even handed assessment", yet other than the first sentence your writing is decidedly uneven.

Pitino supporters are admonished for thinking he might be one of the 5 or 6 best big ten coaches, yet you have no admonishment for those like the above poster who thinks he is decidedly the worst big ten coach and should be summarily fired. "Some proclamation that he is one of the best" is mocked, yet you write nothing about those who proclaim that he is one of the worst.
Doesn't seem "even handed".

Based on what he has done in 5 years he is closer to the bottom than the top. What coaches is he clearly better in the Big 10 ? I do like him over Fran, even with Miles, Undermined with Underwood. Just my opinion based on body of work. Every person can decide for themselves. For positivity i do expect this team to be one of the 3 best teams in the conference.

Based on what he has done in 5 years he is closer to the bottom than the top. What coaches is he clearly better in the Big 10 ? I do like him over Fran, even with Miles, Undermined with Underwood. Just my opinion based on body of work. Every person can decide for themselves. For positivity i do expect this team to be one of the 3 best teams in the conference.

Would probably agree that he isn't clearly better than many big ten coaches. Also feel he's not clearly worse than many big ten coaches. Like you said, personal opinion.

At some point, the metric has to be the full body of work as measured by on court results. He has had five seasons. They have included one one-and -done, one NIT title, and three years where we failed to qualify even for the NIT. That is three horrible years, with two mediocre years. Pitino's lows have been low, and his highs have not been impressive. We need to see a team that is better than a bubble team that goes one-and-done this year, or his seat is going to be really hot.

This.

We can talk about a learning curve for a young coach and injuries/suspensions and B1G COY and recruiting rankings and all that other stuff, but ultimately the production of the team he puts on the floor should be what matters most.

I know we're deviating from the topic here, but I am curious about your opinion about two other coaches in the big ten in Chris Collins and Pat Chambers. These are 3 different situations with different standards so I am curious to your opinion.

I know we're deviating from the topic here, but I am curious about your opinion about two other coaches in the big ten in Chris Collins and Pat Chambers. These are 3 different situations with different standards so I am curious to your opinion.

They have both been bad. Collins has at least exceeded his fired predecessor' s high water mark, but then immediately regressed. Chambers has been awful, but this would be a bizarre time to fire him as he had a substantially improved team and is coming off his best season at Penn State. He probably should have been fired a year ago.

This.

We can talk about a learning curve for a young coach and injuries/suspensions and B1G COY and recruiting rankings and all that other stuff, but ultimately the production of the team he puts on the floor should be what matters most.

Yes, but remember that a few of his “learning curve” decisions impacted the team for four years (deadweight on the roster). This year, and really next year he has enough talent on the roster to weather some injuries. Guys, you have to remember that the roster was so decimated in the past that he had to start a walk on as PG. Of course those records belong to him, but no coach could have won games with some of the line-ups that he has had to put on the court. He has upgraded his coaches and upgraded his recruits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find this very hard to believe.

I find this very hard to believe.

:) Correct. If Pitino makes the tournament this year and once again wins more games that Tubby ever did (9-9 was his peak)- no one will have to root for him to get an extension. He'll get one.

:) Correct. If Pitino makes the tournament this year and once again wins more games that Tubby ever did (9-9 was his peak)- no one will have to root for him to get an extension. He'll get one.

I also think dpo will either find something negative to say or won't say anything at all. Can't see him rooting for Pitino to get an extension unless maybe we make the Final Four.

I find it easy to dismiss the great year we had 2 years ago because we lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament. But it should not take away from the fact that that year was the best year the program has had since 1997 in the Big ten (in 04-05 we tied for 4th in the BIG in 16-17 we were outright 4th). And it tied the high water mark we have had in non-fraud years since the 81-82 championship. If Pitino gets another decent finish this year (NCAA and 9-9 or better) he easily gets to coach another year and with Carr and others coming in he could be around for a while.

The questioning of Dp's gopher fandom is a bit ridiculous. He's far from alone for being critical on Pitino, he's just much more consistent than most. I've appreciated a couple back and forth's with DP and he's always someone that keeps you on your toes. Can't slide BS and hyperbole past him, which I appreciate. I wish he could find it within himself to not be such a urinator when others are trying to have fun, particularly if someone makes and off hand comment against Tubby, however I respect his consistency.

Also along the lines of his "fandom", go read some of what he says about Fleck on the football board. He's not anti Gopher, he's anti inconsistent success measurements, which if you compare Pitino to his predecessor on paper without any ancillary comments, Pitino is playing with house money, even I a historically pro Pitino poster, (not as stallwart as I used to be) can admit that.

I find it easy to dismiss the great year we had 2 years ago because we lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament. But it should not take away from the fact that that year was the best year the program has had since 1997 in the Big ten (in 04-05 we tied for 4th in the BIG in 16-17 we were outright 4th). And it tied the high water mark we have had in non-fraud years since the 81-82 championship. If Pitino gets another decent finish this year (NCAA and 9-9 or better) he easily gets to coach another year and with Carr and others coming in he could be around for a while.

I thought we overrated that season. We started off 3-6 in the Big Ten (during a down year) then won 7 in row but a young Maryland team & Michigan at home were the wins vs teams with a Big Ten record during that stretch. We lost as a 5 seed to Middle Tennessee State with Springs being the only injured player, which should not have set us back that with normal depth.

Then last year we received a lot of hype but I watched us vs Miami, Arkansas and Nebraska we were at full strength and lost vs Drake we squeaked a 1 point victory. We were a good team, but I don't understand how fans guarantee we were a definite NCAA team if we didn't have injuries. Maybe with Curry we would have been but we can't give Pitino a pass on us not having at least 1 viable big man option after Reggie & Curry.

I hope we are better this year but I still think if you look at 2 years ago we may be overrating Pitino as a coach because I remember while they were 3-6 a lot of us thought he was in over his head.

Top Bottom