F -- Michael Hurt 6-7 Jr

F -- Jarvis Omersa 6-8 Fr

G -- Gabe Kalschuer 6-4 Fr

C -- Matz Stockman 7-1 Sr

Sitting out

G -- Marcus Carr 6-2 So*

G -- Payton Willis 6-4 Jr

* -- Asking the NCAA for a waiver to play in 2018-19

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...p-chart-and-early-projected-lineup/482806121/

Go Gophers!!

Stull's addition elevates the coming season to somewhere in the neighborhood of "sneaky good." A lot will have to go right for them to make the NCAA Tournament, but it's now within the realm of possibility.

Stull's addition elevates the coming season to somewhere in the neighborhood of "sneaky good." A lot will have to go right for them to make the NCAA Tournament, but it's now within the realm of possibility.

Rothstein agrees:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I hope Carr's spin of the NCAA's Wheel of Random Decisions comes up in our favor. He can play PG, right?

Isn’t making the tourney hopefully just a matter of keeping healthy? I want to see full recoveries by Curry and Coffey and then if the rest stay healthy it could be a very big year.

I will be disappointed if they don't make tourney. This is the first time I've looked at a depth chart, and they have a ton of talent.

per Marcus:

Projected starters

G -- Isaiah Washington 6-1 So

G -- Brock Stull 6-4 Sr/Dupree McBrayer 6-5 Sr

G -- Amir Coffey 6-8 Jr

F -- Jordan Murphy 6-7 Sr

F -- Eric Curry 6-9 So

Reserves

G -- Dupree McBrayer/Brock Stull

C -- Daniel Oturu 6-10 Fr

F -- Michael Hurt 6-7 Jr

F -- Jarvis Omersa 6-8 Fr

G -- Gabe Kalschuer 6-4 Fr

C -- Matz Stockman 7-1 Sr

Sitting out

G -- Marcus Carr 6-2 So*

G -- Payton Willis 6-4 Jr

* -- Asking the NCAA for a waiver to play in 2018-19

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...p-chart-and-early-projected-lineup/482806121/

Go Gophers!!

#1 - I would be shocked that Durpree goes to the bench. He's a senior and been in the program all 4 years.

#2 - Here is your 8 sometimes 9 man rotation. My guess is you're not going to see much of Stockman and Hurt (and Omerosa if he stays at an 8 man)

Guard Rotation (3) IW, DM, and Stull
Small Forward Rotation (Coffey and Kalschuer)
Big Man Rotation (Murphy, Curry and Oturu)

Also, when IW isn't in the game, Coffey may bring the ball up the court.

3. Is Curry a legit 6'9? If he is, he can definitley play center at college level

Curry is 6'9" and was the best leaper on the team before his injury. Not sure if he has Reggie's timing but he definitely can get higher than him.

I'd say this is a tourney team with no injuries. In fact, they now have enough depth to weather some injuries as long as they are at certain positions. We are not deep at PG or SF and while we could play McBrayer, Hurt, Kelsheur and Stull at the SF wing position it would really hurt our defense. PG is of course the thinnest of all. But Isiah is good and if Carr has the heavens shine upon him with immediate eligibility then I think we go from tournament team to B1G contender.

Remember, this conference isn't all that great lately. Michigan title appearance makes no difference on that assessment.

With a fresh start it's definitely a tourney team. Murphy and Coffee are 2 legit pros (maybe not NBA) and are high level, experienced talents. Curry (assuming he's healthy) is an excellent defensive player and a good athlete that should bring some versatility. We won't have a DPOY in the middle but we should also be able to defend P&R better than last year and in general have more lateral quickness from the bigs. If we get even average play from IW we should be a pretty good team.

I have much higher expectations.

Unless the rehab goes very poorly for the guys in question (Amir, Dupree, Oturu, Curry), I'd be very disappointed to miss the tourney.

If, if Carr is eligible and all 12 guys are healthy.. we are better on paper than the 14th ranked Gophers of last year. Clearly so imo.
If Carr is not eligible and all 11 guys are healthy we are maybe still better than the group that began the season without Curry last year.
There is no dead weight. Guys have to compete to play. We can do stuff...ie we have depth. Foul trouble isn’t paralyzing. More guys can score. More experience in more guys. If not experience, clearly more talent, more athleticism. Everybody is better. New coaches bring new teaching talents to add to the existing things already learned. Better offensive post play with Jeter.
We’re good!!! Caveat with 11 or 12 healthy eligible guys. They’ll all play early and the cream rises.

#1 - I would be shocked that Durpree goes to the bench. He's a senior and been in the program all 4 years.

#2 - Here is your 8 sometimes 9 man rotation. My guess is you're not going to see much of Stockman and Hurt (and Omerosa if he stays at an 8 man)

Guard Rotation (3) IW, DM, and Stull
Small Forward Rotation (Coffey and Kalschuer)
Big Man Rotation (Murphy, Curry and Oturu)

Also, when IW isn't in the game, Coffey may bring the ball up the court.

3. Is Curry a legit 6'9? If he is, he can definitley play center at college level

Why does every one think Gabe will automatically play as a freshmen & be in the rotation? He's not really athletic or a knockdown shooter. He's streaky if anything.

Finally, optimism! The beginning of the real Pitino Gophers that will make a run for the tourney every year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As of today, this would be my "Play 8, trust 7" rotation

8 guys, versatility, with Jelly (PG) and Stockman (C) the only guys not really expected to play multiple positions.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Why does every one think Gabe will automatically play as a freshmen & be in the rotation? He's not really athletic or a knockdown shooter. He's streaky if anything.

I would agree with your analysis. Hopefully, he surprises us.
I’d just like him to be in the early mix to legitimately compete for minutes.

I'll say it's unlikely Carr plays this season. Even with the addition of Stull I still believe this is the a bottom half of the B1G team.

Obviously an unpopular view on this board. Way too much is being expected out of the freshmen.

6 projected starters you can trust. The rest are all question marks.

I'll say it's unlikely Carr plays this season. Even with the addition of Stull I still believe this is the a bottom half of the B1G team.

Obviously an unpopular view on this board. Way too much is being expected out of the freshmen.

6 projected starters you can trust. The rest are all question marks.

The thing that stood out for me regarding Curry was just how gifted he was as a passing big man. He had a number of touch passes to Murphy and Lynch for dunks that required him knowing before the ball got to him just exactly what he was going to do with it. I thought it was his best feature.

Of the three freshmen, I think the one we'll need the most is Oturu. We were abused in the lane last year after he went bye-bye.

He's defiantly not unathletic. And he can knock em down...

Don't think he'll get much run this season, but he'll get his chances.

You've been weirdly low on Gabe ever since we started recruiting him.

Having seen him play numerous times, I totally disagree with your analysis on his shooting prowess. He's also been very well coached, knows where to be, how to get to his spots, and really competes on defense. I'm pretty confident he will be a decent role player for us immediately.

Throw me in the crew of Those that will be disappointed if we don’t make the tourney. This team will have talent, just a matter of playing up to it

Nah, if a medium amount of things go well, we should absolutely make the tourney. If a lot of things go well could potentially be a top 5 seed and win a game or two.

I'd be very disappointed if we missed the tourney with the roster we have right now.

Very strong roster. Tons of credit to the staff for recruiting well. True recruiting where you get really good players that were not highly recruited besides coffee. In addition, Jeter knows defense so those years of horrific defense will be gone. Tourney team . Need to be as a very average conference is about to get better.

He went 51-117 for 43.6% in the Nike EYBL last spring which was second most in the entire league for total three pointers made. That absolutely qualifies him as a knockdown shooter. Also averaged over 17 PPG which was 17th in the EYBL and the second leading scorer on the best regular season team.

Based on those numbers alone its absolutely not unreasonable at all to expect him to contribute (at least before the Stull commitment) even if he isn't the greatest athlete. Those numbers are much better than what Jamir Harris put up and he is 2-3 inches taller.

https://www.d1circuit.com/stats/lea...tab=league_instance_player_stats&tool=2364614

You've been weirdly low on Gabe ever since we started recruiting him.

Having seen him play numerous times, I totally disagree with your analysis on his shooting prowess. He's also been very well coached, knows where to be, how to get to his spots, and really competes on defense. I'm pretty confident he will be a decent role player for us immediately.

100%. Gabe can play, has been well coached by DT and Bledsoe, and is clutch (see orono section final)

I'm jacked for him to play for the gophers!

Assuming Carr is sitting out, this squad is roughly 9 deep in my mind. They have enough talent to not only get to the Dance, and get to the second weekend with the right match-ups.

Obviously, a lot of it hinges on the health of Coffey, McBrayer and Oturu and everyone else staying healthy. Curry is a bit of a wild card, you just never know how somebody will bounce back from a knee injury like that. And if McBrayer was going to have surgery, he probably would've had it by now. Takes months to heal leg injuries/surgeries.

If IW can take a step forward and play more consistently, that will be huge. Stull coming in is big too, it means we won't have to rely a ton on Kalscheur. Stockman/Kalscheur are likely to play the least in my mind, and none of us have seen him play. He could be really good, he could play sparingly and only for depth purposes. Omersa is too athletic to not see the court, but he'll be behind Curry, Murphy and Oturu.

Lot of "ifs" with this squad, but also a ton of potential. At the very least, there should be no sweat on Selection Sunday. Anything else would be a disappointment.

Very strong roster. Tons of credit to the staff for recruiting well. True recruiting where you get really good players that were not highly recruited besides coffee. In addition, Jeter knows defense so those years of horrific defense will be gone. Tourney team . Need to be as a very average conference is about to get better.

I agree with this. We got better this offseason, but so did a lot of other teams in the conference. Sure would help if some of the guys who were going to test the waters stay in the draft, but it doesn't sound like that's going to happen.

Assuming Carr is sitting out, this squad is roughly 9 deep in my mind. They have enough talent to not only get to the Dance, and get to the second weekend with the right match-ups.

I think that's a reasonable outlook for our upside, on paper, and if everything goes according to plan we should expect it. But when does everything go according to plan for us? Heck, at this point I just hope we get through the summer and early fall without losing any guys to injury, academics, or some yet-to-be-thought-up scandal. Then once we get on the court, there are a lot of pieces that are going to have to gel, guys coming back that'll have to knock the rust off, and the big wild card of IW's development as a college point guard and not just a 1-on-1 street ball phenom.

My biggest concern is IW. Yep, I'm pretty optimistic! Not only should this team be good, but they will be awesome to watch. Gopher BB will be fun again! I'm going to relax and enjoy.

Lots of reasons to be excited this year. One of the biggest reasons is that every guy on scholarship belongs. They are all legit D1 power conference players with offers to prove it. Our main issues/concerns are injuries and youth. When was the last time we could say that? Nice job by coach in building a roster. Should be fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PG is still a big issue, not a great position to have issues.

Top Bottom