Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

2-0 win in the semis for Minnesota over Nebraska. April Brockin with both goals. First goal was 3 minutes into the game and was a beautiful play and shot. It was 1-0 for the majority of the game and April scored her second when Nebraska was pressing with like 4 minutes left. Good win for the squad and they get Penn St. on Sunday...
    "My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven't been cynical enough." - Chrisjen Avasarala

And the second:

Quote Originally Posted by Sparlimb View Post
    2-0 win in the semis for Minnesota over Nebraska. April Brockin with both goals. First goal was 3 minutes into the game and was a beautiful play and shot. It was 1-0 for the majority of the game and April scored her second when Nebraska was pressing with like 4 minutes left. Good win for the squad and they get Penn St. on Sunday...
    For the first time this year, I got a chance to watch the team for an extended amount of time.

Bockin's finishes were spot on. She's incredibly quick and Kate Markgraf commented on how if given a chance to run at you as with the ball at her feet, she's really dangerous.

Molly Fiedler was really good today imo. She's always been pretty physical in the middle, but I felt she played strong on both ends of the field today. Nebraska had all kinds of issues dealing with her and Emily Heslin in the middle. Also, Fiedler's through-ball to Bockin in the first half was a thing of beauty.

It's too bad Nikki Albrecht was ill. Would have been fun to see her get a few more minutes.

Defensively I thought they maintained their shape and were well organized. Also thought Patricia Ward might pop one in with the looks she was getting, but it didn't happen.

Overall, a very solid all-around showing.

On to Penn State and the championship game on Sunday!

Interesting note as to Nebraska the team the Gophers beat today. The Gophers have shut them out going back to 2014. Really have them stonewalled. Penn State Sunday and we do have a chance if they ladies can keep the tight defense going. As to the defense, the Gopher ladies got lucky in a couple situations today but thats the way the game goes sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by #2Gopher View Post
    Interesting note as to Nebraska the team the Gophers beat today. The Gophers have shut them out going back to 2014. Really have them stonewalled. Penn State Sunday and we do have a chance if they ladies can keep the tight defense going. As to the defense, the Gopher ladies got lucky in a couple situations today but thats the way the game goes sometimes.
    No team was luckier than Penn State. They advanced on an Illinois own goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius L Hoops View Post
    No team was luckier than Penn State. They advanced on an Illinois own goal.
    Didn't know that. Man that must have hurt.

Tied at 0-0 after two overtimes, MN wins 5-4 over Penn State in the Shoot out! BIG TEN CHAMPIONS!

Yes---the Gopher Ladies know how to WIN!

Quote Originally Posted by GopherJack View Post
    Yes---the Gopher Ladies know how to WIN!
    Yes they do. Guys teams (other than baseball) should take notes.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Crazy shootout! Big save for the W

Have to say the ladies are very deserving.

Got a chance to watch later stages of the first half and virtually all of the second and the ladies created plenty of offensive momentum after halftime. Some of it was due to a howling wind that both teams had to deal with, but they looked composed and strong again. Defensively, they did a nice job closing down space even as Penn State's players sunk towards the center line to get touches.

April Bockin is a great player. She looked pretty/very dangerous at various stages of the second half. Also good to see Nikki Albrecht back in the lineup for extended minutes. Obviously, Maddie Nielsen also came up huge during the PKs.

Congrats to coach Golan and the Gophers!!! Picked the perfect time to start playing their best soccer!

Pretty much a novice when it comes to knowing about women's soccer: Question - will April Bockin have a chance to further her career? (play on US national team, get drafted for the NWSL?)

Quote Originally Posted by GopherJack View Post
    Pretty much a novice when it comes to knowing about women's soccer: Question - will April Bockin have a chance to further her career? (play on US national team, get drafted for the NWSL?)
    She's definitely a professional soccer prospect, although I'm not sure she's good enough to play in either the NWSL or the for the national team at this time. I think she'll get looks from NWSL teams, but making a final roster will be tough. Making the national team roster is even tougher considering the level of player that the women consistently put on the field.

With that said, she's very skilled and has a nice initial burst with the ball on her feet. She can also score the ball, but I've always felt she's at her best when she has a quality forward alongside her she can play off of. Very good on the wing and serves a beautiful ball when given the chance. The biggest issue will be physicality imo. She's not especially big and might get bumped off the ball more easily at the professional level.

If she gets physically stronger and can maintain her speed, then I think she might be able to make it. Nevertheless, I'd be shocked if teams (both in the NWSL and European clubs) aren't interested in her.

Gophers get Auburn in the first round of the NCAA's and then a likely matchup with 2nd seeded UCLA.
    "My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven't been cynical enough." - Chrisjen Avasarala