Nassar victims to reportedly receive $500 million in settlements from Michigan St

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Detroit Free Press:

Michigan State University has settled hundreds of lawsuits filed against it by the survivors of MSU doctor Larry Nassar's sexual assaults.

The settlement will cost the school $500 million. The school will pay $425 million now and hold $75 million in reserve in case other Nassar victims come forward.

MSU will now work on how it will pay the settlement, MSU spokeswoman Emily Guerrant told the Free Press.

Survivor attorney Jamie White said this is a chance for the women to begin to move forward.

“I don’t think they can ever be made whole, but this is a step in the right direction,” he said.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...ichigan-state-larry-nassar-victims/615077002/

Go Gophers!!

That is a ****ton of money. He has got to be one of the worst employees in the history of employees.

"MSU will now work on how it will pay the settlement, MSU spokeswoman Emily Guerrant told the Free Press."

Uuuuummm, does MSU carry a liability insurance? You hope it is large enough.

That is a ****ton of money. He has got to be one of the worst employees in the history of employees.

I think he is probably one of the worst human beings in the history of human beings. And to think there were people at MSU that allowed this to happen. It's unreal.

I think he is probably one of the worst human beings in the history of human beings. And to think there were people at MSU that allowed this to happen. It's unreal.

It's jut hard to comprehend that you hear about something that serious and are all "naw... probabbly not a thing".... or just protect your buddy who is doing horrible things....

the walk away $ was 500 million! here come many many more cases against cash rich universities.

Silence is deafening on gh. Cant admit the long term cheating in college bb.

So glad you have his back.

What cheating? What happened was terrible and disgusting but I wouldn't classify it as cheating.

What cheating? What happened was terrible and disgusting but I wouldn't classify it as cheating.

You dont have all the info, so dont try.

BTW - thanks for making my point for me regarding the tweets.

Tells us a LOT.

:clap:

The school won't pay jack. I can guarantee they have insurance

I haven't read where the funds are coming from, so there might be insurance coverage, but it would take quite a bit of foresight to have $500M in insurance coverage for this type of conduct. It would almost make it seem like somebody knew something.

Here's a quote from an NPR interview discussing where the funds might come from:

MSU, right now, is not saying specifically how they're going to pay for this. In the past, interim President John Engler has said that the money will likely come from a combination of insurance, tuition and public funds. But when it comes to those public funds, lawmakers are kind of already saying that they're hesitant to spend taxpayer dollars on this settlement. So it's going to be likely mostly a combination of insurance, tuition and whatever else the school can come up with.

https://www.npr.org/2018/05/16/611727829/michigan-state-university-reaches-500-million-settlement-with-victims-of-larry-n

So while it appears that there is some available insurance coverage, and we don't know how much that is, the rest will come from other sources most certainly to include University funds.

The school won't pay jack. I can guarantee they have insurance

Even if you have insurance, it's not as though you call up the insurance company and say, "Hi there! MSU here. Say, we had a small issue with sexual abuse and decided to settle it for $500 million. Can you send us that check as soon as possible?"

The insurance company will fight tooth and nail to lower their payout. Heck, the insurance industry will fight tooth and nail over $2500 fender benders...

Even if you have insurance, it's not as though you call up the insurance company and say, "Hi there! MSU here. Say, we had a small issue with sexual abuse and decided to settle it for $500 million. Can you send us that check as soon as possible?"

The insurance company will fight tooth and nail to lower their payout. Heck, the insurance industry will fight tooth and nail over $2500 fender benders...

And MSU's insurance rates will go up as well in the future.

Here is a rudimentary rundown of who knew what and when. Unfortunately it appears there were no reports to police made until relatively recently. There also appears to have been a widespread belief amongst the MSU medical staff that the intravaginal manipulation is a legitimate medical procedure and that’s part of where this all gets muddy.

Unfortunately it appears the students and faculty at MSU will ultimately pay the expensive bill for the settlements. While the victims deserve some resititution and the satisfaction of Nasser rotting in prison I’ve long wrested with school districts, etc paying huge settlements for the misdeeds of their employees (I realize this is accepted law) as this ultimately hurts the education mission. Difficult problems - how does one arrive at a dollar amount?

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2018/02/who_knew_what_when_about_larry.html

Don't know much about insurance, eh?

I recently had a conversation with an insurance forensic investigator and he had some whoppers. They do investigate unusual claims even if low dollar. Of course it requires some common sense which is seemingly lacking more and more. Sometimes the culprits don't look and speak like a typical hood rat. For example, a hentleman had forged receipts for some items stolen from his vehicle, value in the low thousands. Easily detected. He also claimed his IPhone X was stolen. A call to Apple determined he had already replaced it and was double dipping. People are complicated.

I read this morning that the insurance payout is going to hinge on whether they pay it as claims against prior years or against current year. The insurance company is going to push to lump everything into current year so they hit their max coverage without paying for more than 10% of this settlement. The university is going to push to have it paid as claims against prior years to have more of it covered.

I'm sure there will be a nasty legal fight stemming from this. I'm happy that this didn't happen to our University, and if Minnesota ever settled a case like this, I don't think that I would contribute another cent to them.

Don't know much about insurance, eh?

More than you apparently...

http://www.woodtv.com/news/target-8/nassar-survivors-could-see-msu-settlement-delay/1080491558

"UE has been in the news before: It is currently at odds with Pennsylvania State University. Penn State settled with the Jerry Sandusky sexual abuse survivors victims only to have UE deny $42 million in claims."

"As Penn State found out, sometimes insurers don't pay... They're still trying to track theirs down," Engler said."

Here is a rudimentary rundown of who knew what and when. Unfortunately it appears there were no reports to police made until relatively recently. There also appears to have been a widespread belief amongst the MSU medical staff that the intravaginal manipulation is a legitimate medical procedure and that’s part of where this all gets muddy.

Unfortunately it appears the students and faculty at MSU will ultimately pay the expensive bill for the settlements. While the victims deserve some resititution and the satisfaction of Nasser rotting in prison I’ve long wrested with school districts, etc paying huge settlements for the misdeeds of their employees (I realize this is accepted law) as this ultimately hurts the education mission. Difficult problems - how does one arrive at a dollar amount?

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2018/02/who_knew_what_when_about_larry.html

I thought that the practice of treating "Hysteria" was done and over with after the Victorian Era. As doctors were having carpal tunnel syndromes, someone invented a crude vibrator. There was a movie made of this. I can't remember the title.

On the matter of the $500M settlement, will the defense try to whittle down the settlement amount? Is MSU found to be 100% culpable? I'd say that the biggest burden should lie on Nasser. Have they gone through all the appeals process?

A bigger question is UE's refusal to pay the settlement of Dr. Ostendorf at MSU, and the Jerry Sandusky settlement at PSU. Can PSU and MSU sue UE to force them to payout?

I’m intrigued that the schools entered into these settlements without having the tacit support of their insurance companies. That’s a recipe for protracted litigation. I suppose it was all done speedily for “optics” PR reasons as is the fashion but now the devils in the details. What a god awful mess.

I thought that the practice of treating "Hysteria" was done and over with after the Victorian Era. As doctors were having carpal tunnel syndromes, someone invented a crude vibrator. There was a movie made of this. I can't remember the title.

On the matter of the $500M settlement, will the defense try to whittle down the settlement amount? Is MSU found to be 100% culpable? I'd say that the biggest burden should lie on Nasser. Have they gone through all the appeals process?

A bigger question is UE's refusal to pay the settlement of Dr. Ostendorf at MSU, and the Jerry Sandusky settlement at PSU. Can PSU and MSU sue UE to force them to payout?

It’s a legitimate procedure, but turns out Nassar was obviously doing it for purposes of getting his rocks off and was probably totally inappropriate in the vast majority of cases. Not sure where all the breakdowns were amongst the medical staff supervision or if there was any for his position. Seems like he was flying low and silent for years and things weren’t really crystallized as far as the extent of the abuse.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/31/...egitimate-but-not-in-larry-nassars-hands.html

For men those muscles can be accessed through the anus...any man having gone through a less than gentle prostate exam probably feels a little violated. Context is everything.

Top Bottom