UW-Milwaukee Grad Transfer Brock Stull Commits!!

Oh No, we have too many good players and only one ball! We will never get another recruit because they won’t get on the court until they are a junior. Etc..., etc..., etc.... just starting the thread for all the Pitino haters...
Looks like a good roster, tourney bound!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh No, we have too many good players and only one ball! We will never get another recruit because they won’t get on the court until they are a junior. Etc..., etc..., etc.... just starting the thread for all the Pitino haters...
Looks like a good roster, tourney bound!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, we should be competitive. Like a good Minnesotan, I wonder, what could possibly go wrong this time. [emoji41]

Well, on the surface, Stull closes out a pretty nice Spring recruiting run. All the moaning (myself included) about missing on guys was unnecessary. Stull, Carr and Willis sounds pretty good to me, even with two of them having to sit out. Now, if Carr is determined to be eligible this year due to his coach being fired, I will be positively giddy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just took a quick look at their numbers from their last years at UW-Milwaukee, and they appear fairly similar. The key takeaways:

• They are both 6'4". Nice to have a little size. Brock is 180 and Akeem was 210, so he sounds skinny. Brock played 4 more MPG.
  • Brock has a much worse 2P% than Akeem (37.9% < 49%). Brock had almost double the rate of 3PM (2.3 > 1.2), and at a higher % (37.9% > 35.1%).
  • Brock had more assists than Akeem (3.1 > 1.7).
  • Similar steals (0.6, 0.8), rebounding (4.8, 5.3) and blocks (.1), and FT% (74%, 71%).

I hope he is as integral to our team as Akeem was!

180 isn't all that skinny. Akeem was pretty big for a guard and it hurt his lateral quickness a bit

Well last year I found and watched a full length replay of the Louisville vs Grand Canyon game on youtube in which Matz had a career high 12 points.

It's an extremely small sample size I know but in that game it seemed like Matz is a similar level rebounder and defender but has a much better touch around the basket than Bakary. Thats my evaluation.

I have little doubt that he can shoot better than Bakary and that he has more skills overall. My guess is that he won't be a physical on the defensive end as Bakary but the upside of that is likely fewer fouls.

Congratulations to Coach Pitino and staff for one of the most successful gaslights in a long time. The one guy who looks like he could help as a grad transfer and has multiple natural connections to the U is the board's first choice, then has all the appearances of slipping away while a quality, heretofore unknown Juco on this board, agrees to come, coach says no, and sets the board into a panic, only to have the one everyone really wanted from the beginning announce his commitment near the end of the period. Absolutely brilliant!

Hoping for this commitment thread for weeks. Congrats to Gopher Hole for helping us close out our class with real talent. Everyone wanted Stull and Pitino read the thread and decided to make it happen.

Getting this group together is all well and good on paper. Now to get these guys playing together and learning the same system.
I have high hopes that coach Jeter can improve our defensive sets and rotations while we will have much better depth with our substitutions. Adding Stull, I believe, helps us in both areas.

STrib: Grad transfer Brock Stull could be the missing piece for the Gophers

Brock Stull had a lot of options to play at the Power Five level for his senior year, but he chose to follow the path of a former teammate from Wisconsin-Milwaukee to Minnesota.

Stull's commitment Tuesday to play for the Gophers could be the missing piece for helping them bounce back from a 15-17 season. Two seasons ago, former UW-Milwaukee guard Akeem Springs' impact in one season with the Gophers led to the first NCAA tournament under Richard Pitino.

Stull, a 6-foot-4, 195-pound guard, averaged 13.4 points, 4.8 rebounds, 3.1 assists and shot 37.9 percent from three-point range for the Panthers as a junior last season. As a graduate transfer like Springs, Stull can play immediately but has only one year to make his presence felt.

Stull said getting to play in the Big Ten was “very special” for him having grown up in Illinois.

The Rockford, Ill. native made his decision while visiting the U campus Tuesday. Stull, who received interest from Xavier, Virginia, North Carolina State and Butler, gets to play again for his former Milwaukee coach Rob Jeter, one of Minnesota's new assistants.

“Being a Midwest kid, it’s all you want to do and for a really good team,” Stull told the Star Tribune about being in the Big Ten. “(It was) nice to get to spend time with those guys and get reunited with Jeter.”

http://www.startribune.com/grad-tra...-the-missing-piece-for-the-gophers/482741821/

Go Gophers!!

I really thought losing the two assistant coaches would hurt recruiting,

It appears things have worked out.....For now.

Fired up to watch the Freshmen, and the Transfers.

Not having to watch Bakari or Gaston is an added bonus. I acknowledge they may be great individuals who represented the U of M well.

I can appreciate that Pitino seems to be making a lot of really good moves off the court. On paper this is a really solid 6 person recruiting class. Now he’s gotta coach them up and make the right in game decisions.

Very excited about our team this year! I’m especially glad we got a guy known as a good three-point shooter. Question about Stull: Has he ever played the point for U Milwaukee? Does he project to take some of the backup minutes there for us, or is he purely a wing player? Can someone more familiar with him give us a scouting report?

Phew!. Sigh of relief and wipes brow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsuYafe2rWU

Player he most resembles in size: Hoffarber.

Very good 3pt shooter, solidly built, can put it on the floor, can take contact. Willing passer and rebounder.
Probably not the best defender, but will put in effort. Great get.

38% from three last year over 2.3 makes per game, 40% the year before! We need shooters.

As for point guard, not an ideal spot. He wouldn't be able to guard a pg.

I had a good feeling that Stull would commit to us (mostly because of Jeter), but the last couple of weeks definitely worried me. Welcome aboard Brock!

Very excited about our team this year! I’m especially glad we got a guy known as a good three-point shooter. Question about Stull: Has he ever played the point for U Milwaukee? Does he project to take some of the backup minutes there for us, or is he purely a wing player? Can someone more familiar with him give us a scouting report?

The only thing that could have made the spring period any better would have been an immediately eligible point guard. Remote as it is, Carr being allowed to play right away would be the cherry on top.

Before I get too confident, I want to see Curry, Coffey and Oturu return from injuries. Those are a lot of question marks.

The only thing that could have made the spring period any better would have been an immediately eligible point guard. Remote as it is, Carr being allowed to play right away would be the cherry on top.

Before I get too confident, I want to see Curry, Coffey and Oturu return from injuries. Those are a lot of question marks.

McBrayer too...

McBrayer too...

Beat me to it. That leg issue seemed awfully chronic last year. We absolutely need him for his defense and driving (although I would be extremely nervous seeing him handle the ball too much).

On the topic of Carr playing this year, is this really possible? If so, what is the time frame for resolving the question?

On the topic of Carr playing this year, is this really possible? If so, what is the time frame for resolving the question?

Yeah, it's absolutely possible. Carr/Pitino have to file a waiver to the NCAA for eligibility due to his previous coach being fired. It's similar to the medical hardship/redshirt process. The NCAA also has to change that bi-law, which was one of several under discussion.

I have no idea on a timetable, but I would guess it would be resolved by the fall when school starts. Carr would want to know by then if he's eligible to play. He can still practice with the team, but he's no different than a standard transfer for now until told otherwise.

Overall I like what we've done with the Spring recruits, but I will like it a lot more if Carr can play. If not, we have to have faith in Dupree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsuYafe2rWU

Player he most resembles in size: Hoffarber.

Very good 3pt shooter, solidly built, can put it on the floor, can take contact. Willing passer and rebounder.
Probably not the best defender, but will put in effort. Great get.

38% from three last year over 2.3 makes per game, 40% the year before! We need shooters.

I love that many of the shots he makes in this video are him creating his own shot, or with a defender in his face.

Top Bottom