UW-Milwaukee Grad Transfer Brock Stull Commits!!

WriterGoph

Reaction score
Had to start a new thread due to the pissing match in the 2018 recruiting thread.

Confirmed on Twitter by Fuller and Ryan James.

Fuller - "#Gophers struck gold in the grad transfer market today by landing former UW Milwaukee guard @Brock_Stull, per source. Stull averaged 13 ppg last season for the Panthers. Immediate impact player as a shooter and all-around performer."

This is a REALLY nice way to finish the class. Discuss?

Love it! I like it even more if Carr becomes eligible this next year. I prefer Stull over a JUCO player because I want as many scholarships available during the stacked 2019 MN class. I personally think Gabe will develop into a star player for us, but not right away. This pickup allows Gabe a year to learn without being forced into action and sets him up perfectly for his Sophomore year.

I guess the big remaining question is whether Marcus Carr (from Pitt) is eligible right away? If that happens, we'll be really stacked. But at least now our offseason doesn't hinge on a waiver for Carr.

More from James on Twitter - "I think that I'm a fit for the Big Ten as a guard more (than others), Coach Pitino lets his guards play freely on offense, and I have an opportunity to be a part of something big there because they are going to be very good. Coach Jeter there helps too" - Brock Stull

Congrats to Coach Pitino and staff for all of your hard work and patience. Nice group coming in with more on the horizon for years to come. You hafta be excited again for Gopher hoops. Good news like this helps us forget about last year.

This is a great get for the program. We could use some depth at the 2 and he might even be able to play the 3 when we need to go small. Let's all collectively hold our breath now that Carr gets clearance so the intense fog from last season's disaster can be lifted.

I think Stull is what the Gophers need for the coming season. Good news indeed!

This is terrific news! Great to add a good shooter and impact player who can play next season

Great get!

Imagine if Carr became eligible immediately. The bench would be awesome and superior to last year.

Carr > FR Washington
Stull > FR Harris
Hurt/Kalscheur > SOPH Hurt
Oturu/Omersa > Fitzgerald
Matz > Konate/Diedhou

I know it's a long shot but fun to think about.

Great get!

Imagine if Carr became eligible immediately. The bench would be awesome and superior to last year.

Carr > FR Washington
Stull > FR Harris
Hurt/Kalscheur > SOPH Hurt
Oturu/Omersa > Fitzgerald
Matz > Konate/Diedhou

I know it's a long shot but fun to think about.
like your thinking, but do we really know what Matz is? Might Matz be just another Fitzgerald?

Great news!!! We had a pretty nice spring. I like our team a lot. We have exciting new assistant coaches. We added better players and hopefully all hands on deck are healthy come the fall. Awesome!

like your thinking, but do we really know what Matz is? Might Matz be just another Fitzgerald?

Well last year I found and watched a full length replay of the Louisville vs Grand Canyon game on youtube in which Matz had a career high 12 points.

It's an extremely small sample size I know but in that game it seemed like Matz is a similar level rebounder and defender but has a much better touch around the basket than Bakary. Thats my evaluation.

This is great news. Another Springs!

I just took a quick look at their numbers from their last years at UW-Milwaukee, and they appear fairly similar. The key takeaways:

• They are both 6'4". Nice to have a little size. Brock is 180 and Akeem was 210, so he sounds skinny. Brock played 4 more MPG.
  • Brock has a much worse 2P% than Akeem (37.9% < 49%). Brock had almost double the rate of 3PM (2.3 > 1.2), and at a higher % (37.9% > 35.1%).
  • Brock had more assists than Akeem (3.1 > 1.7).
  • Similar steals (0.6, 0.8), rebounding (4.8, 5.3) and blocks (.1), and FT% (74%, 71%).

I hope he is as integral to our team as Akeem was!

I just took a quick look at their numbers from their last years at UW-Milwaukee, and they appear fairly similar. The key takeaways:

• They are both 6'4". Nice to have a little size. Brock is 180 and Akeem was 210, so he sounds skinny. Brock played 4 more MPG.
  • Brock has a much worse 2P% than Akeem (37.9% < 49%). Brock had almost double the rate of 3PM (2.3 > 1.2), and at a higher % (37.9% > 35.1%).
  • Similar steals (0.6, 0.8), rebounding (4.8, 5.3) and blocks (.1), and FT% (74%, 71%).

https://247sports.com/Player/Brock-Stull-50584. - He's a two star, we're doomed! Joking.

Doesnt look like 180lbs, listed 195 elsewhere.

I wrote two months ago that I felt we were fortunate to have Pitino as coach but needed to see an excellent spring recruiting class to keep my support from beginning to waver a bit. Box checked.

Well last year I found and watched a full length replay of the Louisville vs Grand Canyon game on youtube in which Matz had a career high 12 points.

It's an extremely small sample size I know but in that game it seemed like Matz is a similar level rebounder and defender but has a much better touch around the basket than Bakary. Thats my evaluation.
Promise!

nice study! The maturity is also an intangible I hope.

hope his size isn’t a difficulty in the Big Ten.

If DuPree would be fine coming off the bench, I wouldn't mind starting this lineup:

PG: IW
SG: Stull
SF: Coffey
PF: Murphy
C: Matz/Curry(if we go small)

That's not bad, and I always thought DuPree was at his best coming off the bench behind Springs. We'd have DuPree, one of Curry/Matz, Hurt and the Freshman. This is assuming Carr won't be eligible. Should have much more depth than last year.

nice study! The maturity is also an intangible I hope.

He redshirted as a freshman, and was voted MVP by his team for his junior year, so I imagine that he will bring maturity and respect as intangibles. I noted in another post that he weighs 195 now, according to the UW-Milwaukee roster page. He seems to be a pretty decent rebounder too (averaged 6.6 his junior year, and has a career high of 17!!!)

He redshirted as a freshman, and was voted MVP by his team for his junior year, so I imagine that he will bring maturity and respect as intangibles. I noted in another post that he weighs 195 now, according to the UW-Milwaukee roster page. He seems to be a pretty decent rebounder too (averaged 6.6 his junior year, and has a career high of 17!!!)

Yes and sorry I saw that post about his weight was 195. He may need that weight if he is used a lot late in the season.

Awesome use of that last scholarship. Anyone know what type of defensive game he has? This team’s biggest issue will continue to be defense, so hopefully he’s an upgrade over Harris at the 2.

If DuPree would be fine coming off the bench, I wouldn't mind starting this lineup:

PG: IW
SG: Stull
SF: Coffey
PF: Murphy
C: Matz/Curry(if we go small)

That's not bad, and I always thought DuPree was at his best coming off the bench behind Springs. We'd have DuPree, one of Curry/Matz, Hurt and the Freshman. This is assuming Carr won't be eligible. Should have much more depth than last year.

Dupree had some good games when he was starting over Springs too as well as when Spring got hurt. I'm not convinced he played better when he came off the bench.

Top Bottom