12 Power 5 teams with longest losing streak vs top 25 (Gophers #9)

West Fargo Gopher Fan

Section 114 Row 2
Reaction score
Not to be negative but I find articles like this interesting. If you want the full list link is at bottom.

From FBS schedules:

9. Minnesota

Last win vs. a ranked opponent: Nov. 22, 2014 at (21) Nebraska

Record vs. the Top 25 since: 0-11

The 2014 Golden Gophers played three consecutive ranked teams to close out the regular season. After falling to (8) Ohio State 31-24 at home on Nov. 15, they traveled to Lincoln as 10-point underdogs and upset the (21) Cornhuskers 28-24. That earned them a No. 22 rank in the AP, their only mention there since 2008. The regular-season ended with a 34-24 loss at (14) Wisconsin. Minnesota came within three-points of upsetting (21) Michigan State last year (30-27).

http://www.fbschedules.com/2018/05/12-power-teams-with-longest-losing-streaks-vs-top-25/

Not to be negative but I find articles like this interesting. If you want the full list link is at bottom.

From FBS schedules:

9. Minnesota

Last win vs. a ranked opponent: Nov. 22, 2014 at (21) Nebraska

Record vs. the Top 25 since: 0-11

The 2014 Golden Gophers played three consecutive ranked teams to close out the regular season. After falling to (8) Ohio State 31-24 at home on Nov. 15, they traveled to Lincoln as 10-point underdogs and upset the (21) Cornhuskers 28-24. That earned them a No. 22 rank in the AP, their only mention there since 2008. The regular-season ended with a 34-24 loss at (14) Wisconsin. Minnesota came within three-points of upsetting (21) Michigan State last year (30-27).

http://www.fbschedules.com/2018/05/12-power-teams-with-longest-losing-streaks-vs-top-25/

Well.. at least we’re not Kansas (0-27) or Texas Tech (0-19). These sorts of stats are a bit frustrating because my assumption is they are using rankings at the time of the game rather than season-ending rankings so may be a bit misleading up or down. For example, Texas was mysteriously ranked at the beginning of the season while a far superior TCU squad started unranked and ended with 11 wins. There can be a lot of noise and movement in the rankings and teams won’t get credit where credit is due.

That said... 0-27 is not good. 0-11 is also not impressive.

This is not the kind of list that the Gophers want to be in. Hopefully, they will start knocking off some ranked teams.

This is not the kind of list that the Gophers want to be in. Hopefully, they will start knocking off some ranked teams.

Opportunities this year could include Ohio State, Wisconsin, maybe NW. Let's hope not Purdue (unlikely). Fresno finished as a fringe Top 25 team last season but won't be ranked when we play them. Iowa was another fringe top 25 team but probably won't be ranked. Nebraska...who knows? We'll all be watching Neb with great interest.

I looked it up, it's legit. 11 straight losses to ranked opponents, including bowl games.

They must have been. People wanted a statue built for Claeys for that win.

It was his ninth win that year, the only time we have accomplished that feat since 2003. If Fleck matches that accomplishment this year, I guaranty people will be even more excited.

They must have been. People wanted a statue built for Claeys for that win.

Considering Winfield, Hardin, Buford, and Shenault were suspended and the defense shut down the 24th (per S&P+) best offense in the nation, and considering the turmoil and distraction leading up to the game it was a remarkable win. It was steel (good offense) on steel (good defense) and it was a blast to watch. A raging Rallis and Cashman chasing down and destroying a dejected and confused Falk, grass hanging off his helmet are images I won’t soon forget. Then, sawvel relating on the GH podcast how the team sucked it up and practiced, played for each other after all the madness swirling was the cherry on top. One of my favorite wins.

Considering Winfield, Hardin, Buford, and Shenault were suspended and the defense shut down the 24th (per S&P+) best offense in the nation, and considering the turmoil and distraction leading up to the game it was a remarkable win. It was steel (good offense) on steel (good defense) and it was a blast to watch. A raging Rallis and Cashman chasing down and destroying a dejected and confused Falk, grass hanging off his helmet are images I won’t soon forget. Then, sawvel relating on the GH podcast how the team sucked it up and practiced, played for each other after all the madness swirling was the cherry on top. One of my favorite wins.
I can hardly wait for another experience like that. The win, against all odds, is one of the greatest Gopher achievements of the last 50 years. It ranks up there with beating #1 Michigan and JoePa in Happy Valley.

I forgot to mention the Ayinde (almost) pick-six towards the end. Another great moment.

Top Bottom