Another view of PJ

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that with the lethal combination of Croft and Rhoda under center, the Gophers weren't going to steal anything from anyone.

And this year? How many games do you think they're gonna win and going out on a limb, how many games are you gonna be buying tickets to watch them try? :)

When opposing fans start hating PJ I will know that Minnesota has become relevant again.

I can’t wait until Fleck starts winning big and shuts all you Fleck haters up.

When opposing fans start hating PJ I will know that Minnesota has become relevant again.

I don’t think anyone hates PJ. That would be weird. Maybe someone like a Demry Croft....

I’m sure they respect his recruiting chops but we see things like this quite often. Some of these are actually pretty humorous
http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/pj-fleck-what-success-looks-photoshop-contest

Or some of the comments here, for example

“Could you imagine Fleck and Diaco on the same staff? They'd have to hold press conferences in a rubber room and bring those two out on leashes.”

https://forum.huskermax.com/index.php?threads/pj-fleck-this-is-what-success-looks-like.99275/page-2

There’s more.

The guys who think he can win are haters. The ones that keep telling us he has no chance to win are supporters?

Right...

They wont shut up. They'll just spin their story to say Fleck must have listened to them with their vast amount of suggestions and expertise and thats the reason he is now winning.

“My heart is pumpin', and my corpuscles are jumpin', baby, I'll tell ya. I'm thrilled.” — Jim Wacker

I liked him. He was genuinely a good person.

I loved coach Wacker for his zaniness because it was part of who he really was - a good guy. I was pulling hard for him to win on the field. Too bad it never happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I loved coach Wacker for his zaniness because it was part of who he really was - a good guy. I was pulling hard for him to win on the field. Too bad it never happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would watch his weekly show, and the guy worked so hard to stay optimistic after every loss.
It was something to watch. Each loss that was worse, you'd turn on the TV to see how we would react and he'd always handle it pretty well.

Seemed like he was a genuinely great guy.

I would watch his weekly show, and the guy worked so hard to stay optimistic after every loss.
It was something to watch. Each loss that was worse, you'd turn on the TV to see how we would react and he'd always handle it pretty well.

Seemed like he was a genuinely great guy.

Let's face the facts, Mr. "Fleck Defender": Not only are you a great defender of Fleck, you are also a great Fleck "Deflector..." Beat the stinking badger, GOPHER! I love to recall and reflect on the last times the GOPHER beat that stinking badger. When Fleck beats that stinking badger, I think everyone here will "genuflect" with relief and true thankfulness. It will, indeed reflect very well for the program and deflect much of the criticism Fleck can expect until that unfortunate streak has been ended.

Boy, this thread went off track in a hurry. The Original post was saluting Fleck for being a good person. Which is great.

It then turned to a debate over his coaching abilities.

I don't think it's about beating ranked teams or winning against the point spread. I think the question raised was this:

Can Fleck and his staff make a difference in a game's outcome because of their coaching decisions? As in making adjustments in strategy, game-planning, play-calling, etc. Do the coaches influence the outcome of a game?

The way some people talk, it's all about recruiting, and which team has more talent, or more stars, or dots, or whatever. I believe coaching does make a difference. I believe it made a difference in the Holiday bowl win over WSU.

Can Fleck and his staff out-coach other teams, or do the Gophers need to have a clear advantage in talent and personnel to win games? That is the question.

Boy, this thread went off track in a hurry. The Original post was saluting Fleck for being a good person. Which is great.

I don't think it's about beating ranked teams or winning against the point spread. I think the question raised was this:

Can Fleck and his staff make a difference in a game's outcome because of their coaching decisions? As in making adjustments in strategy, game-planning, play-calling, etc. Do the coaches influence the outcome of a game?

The way some people talk, it's all about recruiting, and which team has more talent, or more stars, or dots, or whatever. I believe coaching does make a difference. I believe it made a difference in the Holiday bowl win over WSU.

Can Fleck and his staff out-coach other teams, or do the Gophers need to have a clear advantage in talent and personnel to win games? That is the question.

Any GOPHER Coach HAS to beat the stinking badger, or he will not be considered to be a good enough person and/or coach even if he is a good enough person and/or coach.

Same handful of people in every thread

"It's very saavy in terms of a PR/marketing sense (clearly it's working)"

Not with all the gymnastics they are having to use to sell tickets it's not. Not if you talk to the non-hardcore Gopher Fans either. Nor if you're in the stands at TCF.

It's certainly not helpful reading how many of his most loyal defenders are constantly posting about how mediocre the team is gonna be this year. Injuries, lack of depth? They are both worthy of noting. The weakness of the schedule should mitigate some of that.

What's deafening though is all the silence about how the Caching Staff being able to steal a game or two. Even the most strident of his supporters never say a thing about that. Matter of fact when people start talking about match-ups, virtually never does anybody give the Gopher's Staff the check mark.

And that's on a Gopher Fan Website!

I still think Fleck will end-up being a good coach. He's got a track record that should confirm that. Problem is in the public's mind so far he's all talk.

Win 7+ games this year, bring some trophies home and don't quit they way they did against NW and WI and the public will start buying in. Both in terms of support and tickets.

Right now comparisons to Brewster aren't fair. Fleck had a good track record, Brewster did not.

Jim Wacker, for those old enough to remember, may be. He had a good track record. He won 4 National Titles at lower levels and didn't do that bad at TCU, which had been abysmal before he got there.

He was a FCA guy, preached and lived his life "on the straight and narrow". His athletes did too.

Problem is they couldn't deliver on the field. Trust that P.J. can. Until then, hold off a little on how much of his "marketing" is working.

Any GOPHER Coach HAS to beat the stinking badger, or he will not be considered to be a good enough person and/or coach even if he is a good enough person and/or coach.

As long as we are strictly talking offensive and defensive scholarship seniors, you betcha.

Same handful of people in every thread

"Quote Originally Posted by Iceland12 View Post"

:confused:

There are about 39 O.Ps on the first page. This is the only one that I've posted on.

You'd think even a little d-wad like yourself would be tired of being so wrong so often, but apparently that's just not the case.

:confused:

There are about 39 O.Ps on the first page. This is the only one that I've posted on.

You'd think even a little d-wad like yourself would be tired of being so wrong so often, but apparently that's just not the case.

And once again, you show your true colors. No surprise there.

Everyone remember, PJ can be a great human being and be a great coach. He can also be a great human being and a bad coach (Wacker).

Or he could be a great coach and just pretending to be a great human being (Jim Tressel, Pete Carroll).

Lol you resort to name calling then mention my youth in a post? And I'm not even that young. Really can't make it up with you sometimes... :drink:

Don't sell yourself short little fella. Much like in Post #43, you make up stuff all the time. :party:

By the way, Mason and Wacker were mentioned in this thread. They use to be Head Coaches of the Gophers. You go ask your Dad or Grandpa about them.

Don't sell yourself short little fella. Much like in Post #43, you make up stuff all the time. :party:

By the way, Mason and Wacker were mentioned in this thread. They use to be Hard Coaches of the Gophers. You ask your Dad or Grandpa about them.

Ain’t no coach like a Hard Coach!

:)

By the way, Mason and Wacker were mentioned in this thread. They use to be Head Coaches of the Gophers. You go ask your Dad or Grandpa about them.

Self awareness is a great trait to have. Unfortunately at your old age, that's a trait you have yet to learn anything about.

Self awareness is a great trait to have. Unfortunately at your old age, that's a trait you have yet to learn anything about.

:blah::blah::blah::

Here's you click. :rolleyes:

Your turn.

By the way, nice job in putting the thread back on topic...

PJ is a good man who is passionate about being a positive influence in kids and young adults lives, no doubt about it.

About time someone at U athletics program knows good PR and marketing

It's very saavy in terms of a PR/marketing sense (clearly it's working). He may also like doing it out of the goodness of his heart, not arguing that. But, it can't be denied that it's very thoughtful brand building, and is starting to turn a lot of the apathetic folks into active supporters.

Whatever his motivation, the end result is the same. Even though the rhetoric gets annoying, and borderline patronizing and phony, it can't be argued that the impact the guy has is all-around positive. Can't help but feel great about the attention he's bringing, and "karmic" vibes.

Again, this is nothing new around the program, previous regimes have been very active in the community and charitable organizations, PJ just does such a great job of emphasizing it and getting it broadcasted.

Top Bottom