Michigan 2018-19

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
https://mgoblue.com/news/2018/5/14/...d-rooks-as-graduate-transfer-for-2018-19.aspx

Wolverines add a grad transfer, Taylor Rooks, to the roster. Two years ago, Rooks scored 7 points in 15 minutes during a 103-87 season opening loss to the Gophers at Williams.

University of Michigan women's basketball head coach Kim Barnes Arico announced Monday (May 14) the addition of graduate transfer Taylor Rooks to the 2018-19 roster. Rooks graduated from Harvard with a degree in economics and will have one year of eligibility with the Maize and Blue.

"We are thrilled to add Taylor to our program," Barnes Arico said. "She is a strong, athletic player who can really impact the game on both ends of the floor. We recruited her out of high school, so we are very familiar with her and her family. I have spent a lot of time watching her play and know what she can immediately bring to our program. Taylor really values and embodies what the University of Michigan is all about, both academically and athletically. We know she is going to be a great addition for us."

"The University of Michigan allows me to continue my efforts to combine the best academic foundation with excellent athletics," Rooks said. "This combination is key to my development as a student-athlete as well as my focus on life after sports."

Rooks, a 6-foot guard, spent the last three seasons at Harvard after her freshman season at Stanford. As a senior this past winter, Rooks earned second-team All-Ivy honors after averaging 12.5 points and 7.3 rebounds in 29.5 minutes per game. Rooks shot 47.7 percent from the floor, 34.1 percent from three-point range and 86.3 percent at the free throw line in 2017-18. She recorded six double-doubles this past season while ranking second on the team in rebounding. She also tallied five 20-point games, including a career-high 24 against Brown on Jan. 27.

https://mgoblue.com/news/2018/7/2/sanchez-named-womens-basketball-assistant-coach.aspx

Yvonne Sanchez returns to coaching as a Michigan assistant.

University of Michigan women's basketball head coach Kim Barnes Arico announced Monday (July 2) the addition of former New Mexico head coach Yvonne Sanchez as an assistant coach for the Wolverines.

"When filling this assistant coaching position, I thought it was really important to bring in someone with a lot of experience -- whether that was as a head coach or an assistant coach," Barnes Arico said. "Yvonne brings a ton of both with her to Michigan. She is well-respected amongst her peers as well as recruits. I think she has an outstanding personality and connects well with people all over the country.

"She will bring another dimension in all aspects of our program, from recruiting to working with our point guards. I had an opportunity to work with her about 15 years ago on the All-America committee and have followed her career ever since. They had a ton of success at New Mexico during her time there, reaching a Sweet 16, growing such a large fan base, and recruiting some great players. We are excited to have her join us in Ann Arbor."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...o-earns-least-728-k-under-new-deal/844797002/

Some details on Kim Barnes Arico's new contract.

Michigan women's basketball coach Kim Barnes Arico's total compensation will exceed $700,000 a year under a contract extension signed earlier this summer.

The two-year extension, which takes Barnes Arico through the 2022-23 season, is worth at least $728,000 a year — including $400,000 in base pay; $275,000 for TV, radio and promotional obligations; $50,000 in deferred compensation; and $3,000 under the school's current Nike contract.

Michigan's non-conference schedule with last season's final NCAA RPI:

327 Detroit Mercy
292 Mount St. Marys
272 Morgan State
261 Long Island University
194 @ Oakland
186 Southern
101 Western Michigan
23 (N) Missouri
16 @ NC State

At the Gulf Coast Showcase, in addition to Missouri, the Wolverines will play two of the following: Texas, Quinnipiac, Ball State, Fordham, Washington or Duke.

https://www.michigandaily.com/section/sports/heres-what-every-michigan-coach-making-year

Kim Barnes Arico's new contract:

Barnes Arico will be paid $728,000 annually through the 2022-23 season after signing a contract extension this summer.

That salary is split into a $400,000 base, $275,000 in additional compensation, $50,000 in deferred compensation and $3,000 under the university’s Nike contract.

Barnes Arico will receive a one-time $42,000 payment on September 30, 2018 as deferred compensation accrued from her previous contract.

Potential bonuses include $40,000 for winning the Big Ten outright, $20,000 for making the NCAA Tournament and $25,000 per NCAA Tournament win.

If fired without cause, Barnes Arico will be paid base salary and additional compensation through the end of the contract. Barnes Arico is required to seek another job as soon as possible in such a situation

https://mgoblue.com/news/2018/10/10...-just-how-do-wolverines-replace-flaherty.aspx

Replacing Flaherty:

Barnes Arico is enthusiastic about her five freshmen -- new starting point guard Amy Dilk (6-foot), forward-center Naz Hillmon (6-foot-2), forward Emily Kiser (6-foot-3), guard Danielle Rauch (5-foot-8) and guard Ariel Young (6-foot) -- who ranked No. 12 among national recruiting classes. They are big on talent and just plain big, period.

Barnes Arico said [Deja] Church "has had an incredible summer and a great fall" and is more comfortable as the shooting guard rather than at the point, where she spelled Flaherty last season as a freshman.

"She's a natural scorer," Barnes Arico said of Church, who will back up Dilk on the point.

Dilk was Indiana's Miss Basketball and averaged 17.8 points, 6.7 assists, 5.6 rebounds and 3.8 steals for Carmel High.

"We needed to see if Amy could adjust to and handle that (starting) role," said Barnes Arico. "She had a tremendous high school career, and that doesn't always correlate to having a tremendous freshman season because your freshman year is such a transition. But since practices began, she's taken off.

"She really has a tremendous presence and a calmness about her that point guards need to have. She has an incredible feel for the game, and she makes players around her better. It takes a lot of pressure off Deja as well and elevated her game. She's been really impressive. … She's a shot-blocker. She's a great athlete. Her length is definitely going to affect the game."

Barnes Arico added, "The WNBA is calling every day to watch [Halle Thome]. She's just been a real special, special player in our program."

Munger, her classmate from Doylestown, Pennsylvania, could be primed for a breakout season after finishing second to Flaherty last year in treys (Flaherty 118, Munger 59) while shooting a solid .404 behind the arc. She also made 35 steals as a defensive ball hawk.

"She can shoot the basketball, I believe, better than anyone in the country," said Barnes Arico. "I have to constantly remind her of that because she doesn't shoot the ball enough for my liking."

KBA noted that when opponents double-team Thome down low, Munger must make them pay from the outside, just as Flaherty did. But there are others who can make the deep shot, too.

Brown (.459), Church (.333) and swing players Akienreh Johnson (.350) and Priscilla Smeenge (.400) are also threats behind the arc. Johnson has a hand injury and is expected to be out for about six weeks. Junior Kayla Robbins is another guard-forward in the mix, and had 12 points against Delaware State while grabbing eight rebounds against Penn State.

Who cares?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Who cares?

Perhaps some Gopher fans that want to know what we're up against. More importantly, Whay's coaching staff - so that they can develop a game plan for when we visit Ann Arbor. Looks like KBA has been a busy beaver, recruiting some extra chess pieces (grad and frosh) - thus giving them a little bit more height and a little more shooting than we maybe expected. A little more challenge for our defense (which we expect to be incrementally improved), so I still think we have a pretty good chance of beating the Wolverines, if the Gopher WBB works hard. We beat them last year (by 6 points), but this is an away game, so no packed Barn this time to help us out.

https://www.michigandaily.com/secti...higan-dominant-victory-against-no-21-missouri

Michigan routing Missouri gave the B1G some holiday tournament good news.

With a 20-point lead and three seconds remaining in the first half, Michigan should have been content to simply inbound the ball, let time expire and head to the locker room with confidence and a comfortable lead.

Instead, sophomore guard Deja Church took the pass, dribbled a few times and heaved a shot from her own 3-point line as time expired. To everyone’s surprise, it went in.

For the Wolverines (4-0), their 70-54 trouncing of No. 21 Missouri (3-2) Friday night in their first round game of the Gulf Coast Showcase was never in question. After jumping out to an early 9-0 lead, Michigan never allowed the Tigers to claw back into the game, holding them to a first-half field-goal percentage of a mere 17.2 percent, while shooting 44.8 percent from the itself. With a 23-point halftime lead, the Wolverines went on cruise control the rest of the way.

“I thought that was some of the best basketball (Church has) ever played, and I challenge Deja with that all the time,” Barnes Arico said. “I wasn’t sure in practice if she was ready for it and tonight she came out and she was definitely locked in and definitely ready for it. I mean sometimes we forget Deja’s still a sophomore, and she’s still learning and she’s still growing, but I think tonight was really a step in the right direction.”

Church — who had yet to score more than seven points in a game before last night — finished as the team’s leading scorer with 15 points as she made three of her four 3-point attempts.

Her performance highlighted what was an all-around dominant performance by Michigan, which involved contributions from nearly every Wolverine.

https://www.michigandaily.com/section/womens-basketball/hillmon-steps-thome-injured

Hallie Thome's back issues:

After an underwhelming first two minutes of its matchup with Morgan State — consisting of three missed shots and a turnover — the Michigan women’s basketball team was in desperate need of a spark to get the ball rolling.

Then senior center Hallie Thome went down.

“Hallie hurt herself last week in the Oakland game, spasms in her back,” said Michigan coach Kim Barnes Arico. “She’s had them throughout her career. She’s kinda been able to work through them and I think she’s trying to do that now. … She tried to go out and see what she could do (today), but as a post player, you’re getting knocked and you’re getting banged all the time.”

“You could tell she was very uncomfortable. She was very nervous even at the start of the game. I think she did her best to try and give it a shot but she wasn’t able to, so she needs to just rest.”

Going forward, it is unclear to what extent Thome’s back will hinder her availability or effectiveness. However, what is clear is that Barnes Arico plans to make certain her center is fully healthy by the start of Big Ten conference play.

“Hallie hurt herself last week in the Oakland game, spasms in her back,” said Michigan coach Kim Barnes Arico. “She’s had them throughout her career. She’s kinda been able to work through them and I think she’s trying to do that now. … She tried to go out and see what she could do

Hmm... nice thing to put out there in her senior before the draft.

Former Gopher recruit Deja Church with 19 points and 10 boards in Michigan's easy win over Southern.

Barnes has lost some key players to transfer. I recall that Kysre Gondrezick transferred to West Virginia after a very successful freshman campaign.

Barnes has lost some key players to transfer. I recall that Kysre Gondrezick transferred to West Virginia after a very successful freshman campaign.

She’s pretty flighty. Left WVU too.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Deja Church is headed to DePaul.

https://www.timessentinel.com/sport...cle_684d469e-706e-11e9-a8d5-93595af2b863.html

Michigan adds Maddie Nolan to its incoming class. Nolan reopened her recruitment after Megan Duffy left Miami of Ohio.
The Zionsville standout had signed with Miami (Ohio) in the fall, but after a coaching change in mid-April, decided to ask for her release and reopen her recruitment.

She announced Sunday afternoon on Twitter that she is now heading to the University of Michigan to play for the Big Ten's Wolverines.

"After they had the coaching change at Miami and coach (Megan) Duffy left, I talked with my parents and my coaches (Zionsville coaches Andy Maguire and Keith Hollins and AAU coach Tony Marlin) and decided to reassess things," Nolan said. "I kept Miami in the loop, but I wanted to see what was out there. I had a great visit at Michigan and it just fit."

Nolan took visits to Miami to meet with the new coaching staff, to Michigan and to Marquette (where Duffy is now the head coach) last week.

Michigan had recruited her some before she committed to Miami originally, and she said everything went great on her visit

"I really loved the campus, and I got to meet with a lot of the current girls on the team and they were so awesome and welcoming," Nolan said. "It is a great academic school, and there are going to be amazing opportunities after I graduate with them helping with job placement and connections. I always dreamed of playing in a "Power-5" school, and this is an opportunity for me to so."

Nolan will join a couple of former rivals who just finished their freshmen years at Michigan in Carmel's Amy Dilk and Noblesville's Emily Kiser.

Nolan said she is excited to play with both of those players.

https://mgoblue.com/news/2019/5/20/womens-basketball-wilson-joins-michigan-staff.aspx

Michigan adds Toyelle Wilson to the coaching staff.

University of Michigan women's basketball head coach Kim Barnes Arico announced the addition of Toyelle Wilson as the recruiting coordinator/assistant coach on Monday (May 20). Wilson spent the last six seasons as an assistant coach at Baylor and was the head coach at Prairie View A&M for three years.

On the recruiting trail, Wilson helped Baylor recruit top-10 recruiting classes every year, including last season's No. 1 recruiting class in the country.

Prior to joining the Baylor staff, she led Prairie View A&M to three straight SWAC Tournament championships and NCAA Tournament appearances. She compiled a 55-43 record in her three seasons as the program's head coach. Prior to accepting the head coach position, Wilson was the Panthers' top assistant for four years, and spent three seasons as an assistant coach at Robert Morris University.

Wilson was one of 30 coaches across the nation that participated in the Center for Coaching Excellence (CCE) by the Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA). The CCE is an elite program for select basketball coaches and is designed to provide college women's basketball coaches with the professional skills and personal ethics training necessary to be exceptional leaders. Wilson is also a member of the WBCA.

A native of Voorhees, New Jersey, Wilson earned a bachelor's degree in business management from Manhattan College in 2003 and was a four-year letterwinner for the women's basketball team. She was a team captain and earned Defensive Player of the Year honors while leading the Jaspers to an NCAA Tournament berth and a Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference championship in 2003.

Top Bottom