Sid: Twins' Paul Molitor, Gophers' John Anderson have had a lasting friendship

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

When you look at the field leaders of the Twins and Gophers baseball teams, it’s amazing to think they are former college teammates who first met over 43 years ago in Paul Molitor and John Anderson.

Anderson had the Gophers sitting in first place in the Big Ten standings entering the weekend and ranked No. 15 in the country according to Baseball America.

Meanwhile Molitor, the 2017 AL Manager of the Year, has turned the Twins’ season around after a horrid stretch in which they lost 13 of 15 games. With a three-run ninth inning to beat the Angels 5-4 Friday, they stood at *16-18 going into Saturday night’s game in Anaheim, Calif.

Anderson was a pitcher for the Gophers in 1974-75 before an injury derailed his playing career. Coach Dick Siebert kept Anderson on as a student coach.

Anderson recalled the first time he met Molitor on the Minnesota campus in the fall of 1974.

“Paul was a freshman and I had transferred here from Hibbing Community College. That was the first time we met,” Anderson said. “Then we were teammates here at the university through the 1977 season, when he left and signed with the Milwaukee Brewers.

“Our friendship, and connection, a lifelong friendship started here at the university and has continued. When I was named head coach here in the fall of 1981, Paul reached out to me and said that he’d do anything he could to support the program and assist me.”

http://www.startribune.com/twins-pa...rson-have-had-a-lasting-friendship/482463541/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom