Chip: Two years in as Gophers AD, Mark Coyle has set new course

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

Year 1 in the transition to Fleck encountered challenges and disappointing results, but drawing conclusions at this point is unfair. It’s too soon to render a verdict on any hire after one year.

“I get that patience is a four-letter word,” Coyle said. “We needed to shake the tree. That’s not being disrespectful to anybody before. But in my opinion, we just needed something different.”

Football and men’s basketball are tone-setters, so leaps by those two programs would alter the department’s narrative. Completion of the $166 million Athletes Village should be a game-changer, too.

Coyle recalled a conversation he had with Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez at Big Ten meetings soon after being hired.

“You’re successful when people stop making excuses,” Alvarez said.

That message has stuck with Coyle.

“We need to stop making excuses, and we need to embrace the opportunity we have in front of us,” he said.

An immaculate new facility eliminates one major excuse. That complex paired with a wave of new coaches gives the department a vastly different appearance two years into Coyle’s tenure. As he relaxed in a coffee shop this past week, he sounded optimistic about a big payoff.

“I truly feel like we’re on the verge of taking that next step,” he said.

http://www.startribune.com/two-years-in-as-gophers-ad-mark-coyle-has-set-new-course/482461081/

Go Gophers!!

Can this new course involve our football, basketball, and hockey teams playing in a bowl game and ncaa tournaments?

Can this new course involve our football, basketball, and hockey teams playing in a bowl game and ncaa tournaments?

That's now the plan. For 40 years winning didn't really matter to the U's Administration and Board of Regents and Gopher fans and alumni let them get away with it.

“We needed to shake the tree. That’s not being disrespectful to anybody before. But in my opinion, we just needed something different.”

Why did it take Coyle this long to figure out that this is what he should've said about firing Claeys rather than making sh1t up?

“We needed to shake the tree. That’s not being disrespectful to anybody before. But in my opinion, we just needed something different.”

Why did it take Coyle this long to figure out that this is what he should've said about firing Claeys rather than making sh1t up?

What 'sh1t did he make up'?

What 'sh1t did he make up'?

I don't know that Coyle made anything up per se (I don't remember it if he did), but the way he said culture needed to change while the players were still suspended certainly implied Claeys was responsible for a culture that allowed or encouraged that type of action. I thought Fleck did a good job of trying to spin it as creating a winning culture, but you could see Fleck's discomfort with some of Coyle's statements during that first press conference.

Top Bottom