Fleck: 50 years ago we were Alabama of football, that's what we are going back to

Your approach is one that lacks confidence and is more of a wait and see approach. You have noticed that PJ doesn’t set number of wins goal. What have you accomplished if you win 7 games with a 6 game goal? Has that really moved the team closer to the ultimate goal? A series of meaningless milestones that may not be met are counter productive. What if you have won 7 games with 2 games left in a 7 win goal season. Are you still moving towards your ultimate goal if you lose those last two games? What is the incentive to win, we already met expectations?
PJ’s goals are more like always improve your best, always do better than the day before. Schedules can change the level of difficulty from year to year, and placing arbitrary number of wins goals set you up for failures that can diminish the teams attitude.

Do the Navy Seals set short term goals? No, they set a series of objectives or tasks that will improve their ability to reach the mission objective. They don’t stop and sing Kumbaya after they cross the first fence.

Navy Seals? IALTO.

Navy SEALS - Minnesota Gophers. Maybe there is another metaphor in there somewhere.

If the goal is to win national championships it seems kind of obvious that the conference stuff is a given. If he can keep and build on his recruiting classes I think he can get the U to great success on the field.

I like the fact that he said we used to be a modern day Alabama. He put it out there. Many people don't know that we were once a power house on the gridiron. I don't think it can hurt to educate the public of who we once were and who we are striving to be.

shoulda hired Bohl instead of Kill

at least we be a little further down the road to BTW championships.

Whatever Fleck means by year zero, six years, Alabama, or the other stuff he says, here is something I am pretty sure of:

Competing for a national championship is one of PJ Fleck's career goals. He believes he can do it, and expects to accomplish it in his career.

Whether that goal is grandiose or not remains to be seen, but I would much rather that he aim for that goal in his current job than just aim for a Big Ten Championship as the Gophers coach, only to springboard to a new job where a national championship would be a less audacious goal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

"We're taking Gopher Nation to Pasadena" was at least shorter and more to the point.

Wonder how his upperclassmen feel when they hear him say Minnesota isn't going to win big for several more years?

Wonder how his upperclassmen feel when they hear him say Minnesota isn't going to win big for several more years?

You think the upperclassmen came to Minnesota expecting to win a national championship? They can make themselves better and not care what anyone says about them. I guess I'm not surprised that some people on here have the mentality that if they aren't constantly praised, they should just roll over and give up.

You think the upperclassmen came to Minnesota expecting to win a national championship? They can make themselves better and not care what anyone says about them. I guess I'm not surprised that some people on here have the mentality that if they aren't constantly praised, they should just roll over and give up.

Now transfer this to any discussion of PJ. Let’s all grow some thicker skin.

Fifty years ago the Gophers were not like Alabama:

1968 Minnesota Golden Gophers football
ConferenceBig Ten Conference
1968 record6–4 (5–2 Big Ten)

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Yet ANOTHER lie from PJ!

<tbody>
</tbody>

In 1968, Alabama was 8-3 (4-2), so really not that much different.

Ummm...I assume he was stating the Gophers of 50 years ago were the Alabama of today. Otherwise why would you compare mediocrity to mediocrity of years past?

Ummm...I assume he was stating the Gophers of 50 years ago were the Alabama of today. Otherwise why would you compare mediocrity to mediocrity of years past?

Alabama 50 years ago or today is sort of a distinction without a difference. They went through a little dry spell in 1969-1970 that Saban's squads haven't, but in 1968 they were between two runs of 3 national titles in 5 years and 3 national titles in 7 years - as well as 9 SEC titles in 11 years. Between 1959 and 1981 (23 seasons!) they finished in the top 10 in one or both polls every year but 3 - 1968, when they finished 12/17, and 1969-1970 when they finished out of both polls.

Top Bottom