Fleck: 50 years ago we were Alabama of football, that's what we are going back to

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Jace:

It’s been 51 years since the Gophers won a Big Ten football championship. The last half century has been a far cry from the powerhouse Minnesota was in the decades prior. Fleck is aiming to return the Gophers to their former glory.

“Now, when you haven’t done that in 51 years, that’s very difficult to do in the new era of college football,” Fleck said. “Fifty years ago, we were the Alabama of football. We were that. Fifty years later, we are not that currently. That is what we are going to get back to.

“With our new facilities, $166-million facility, the Athlete’s Village … and all of your support, all of your help, we will get there. It was going to be a little while before that happens.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/05/...all-that-is-what-we-are-going-to-get-back-to/

Go Gophers!!

We have to wait until the SEC is under water. :cool02: It depends how fast Greenhouse Warming is. So far, we've had far more intense hurricanes. More intense tornadoes, rising ocean levels from the polar melts, and coastal flooding may see a shift in population moving into the hinterland.

When the killer bees finally settle in MN, then we know we will have more football players when the state population bourgeons. Enjoy it. I won't be around by then.

Of course if Iran or North Korea nukes us, all bets are off.

ZCjDCtN.gif

But we are not going to be Minnesota, who sits in the corner anymore.

Patrick Swayze from Dirty Dancing?

Six years...hmm... when's his contract up?

If he does even moderately well.... he'll have an extension before then.

He laid an egg on the field this year, not because of the record but because how that record was earned, and got an extension. If he has a .500 record this year, he’ll get a coach for life contract extension....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He doesn’t plan on the program’s ascension being an overnight ordeal. He continues to call the 2017 season “Year Zero.”

He compared his building of the Gophers football program to constructing a house. Year Zero was the dig. The next two years will be pouring the foundation. Year Three is when the framework goes up. Year Four is when the roofing and siding is put on. Year Five is “the little things” such as fixtures within the house — and the family moves in. Then subsequent years are just changing the paint colors and rearranging room layouts.

They're getting paid by the hour?

They're getting paid by the hour?

Anyone who builds a house and it takes six years shouldn't be building houses. Just saying.

I get and buy that to build something of substance that is sustainable it does not happen overnight. I get that to be where PJ Fleck wants the program to be, it will take time.

I also know that some coaches can build to that dream without tanking on principle to establish their "culture". While few get to the promised land of being "Alabama" in six years, even fewer are dismissive of the effort of the staff and players on the field "until year six" in the way that PJ Fleck has so far at Minnesota.

Well, he still sounds like he's on the 4 year plan. 2020 is when he visualizes it all comes together and coincidentally that's when the seat will be getting hotter if things sputter. As I've said all along he'll get at least 4-5 years and probably 6 unless the wheels really come off. The AD has his back, he's recruiting players that will be maturing around 2020 to 2021 and fans will largely be patient even if gnawing doubts about underperforming teams and recruiting misses. Look no further than the Pitino model.

The "Alabama" comments are a perfect example of why people have such differing opinions on Fleck.

Some people see those comments as Fleck setting high goals for the program - being bold and not being afraid to shoot for the moon.

Other people see the same comments as Fleck being unrealistic and engaging in hype and bombast.

I will just say that the landscape in college football has changed - a lot - since the Gophers were a national power. In the Gophers' glory era, the northern and Midwest schools were the power programs. The biggest changes since then are the end of segregation, and the subsequent rise of the Southern programs.

I guess my point of view is that talking about National Championships does sound a little unrealistic for a team that hasn't won a conference title for 50 years.

Win a Division title, and then you can talk about a Conference Title.

Win a Conference Title, and then you can talk about the National Playoffs.

Qualify for the National Playoffs, and then you can talk about a National Championship.

Win a National Championship, and then you can compare yourself to an Alabama - or compare yourself to the dominant Gopher teams of previous eras.

Progress happens one step at a time. Or "Brick by Brick" as someone once said.

For this season, I would say the Gophers 1st goal should be winning at least 6 games and qualifying for a bowl game. Accomplish that, and then you can talk about taking the next step.

There is no way the U could get away with that level of cheating. It would be torn down from the inside immediately.

Anyone who builds a house and it takes six years shouldn't be building houses. Just saying.

I get and buy that to build something of substance that is sustainable it does not happen overnight. I get that to be where PJ Fleck wants the program to be, it will take time.

I also know that some coaches can build to that dream without tanking on principle to establish their "culture". While few get to the promised land of being "Alabama" in six years, even fewer are dismissive of the effort of the staff and players on the field "until year six" in the way that PJ Fleck has so far at Minnesota.

Who’s tanking?

The "Alabama" comments are a perfect example of why people have such differing opinions on Fleck.

Some people see those comments as Fleck setting high goals for the program - being bold and not being afraid to shoot for the moon.

Other people see the same comments as Fleck being unrealistic and engaging in hype and bombast.

I will just say that the landscape in college football has changed - a lot - since the Gophers were a national power. In the Gophers' glory era, the northern and Midwest schools were the power programs. The biggest changes since then are the end of segregation, and the subsequent rise of the Southern programs.

I guess my point of view is that talking about National Championships does sound a little unrealistic for a team that hasn't won a conference title for 50 years.

Qualify for the National Playoffs, and then you can talk about a National Championship.

Win a National Championship, and then you can compare yourself to an Alabama - or compare yourself to the dominant Gopher teams of previous eras.

For this season, I would say the Gophers 1st goal should be winning at least 6 games and qualifying for a bowl game. Accomplish that, and then you can talk about taking the next step.

Classic defeatist attitude, you can’t let your current situation or recent past dictate your potential. It is realistic for a B1G school to win the national title if you get the players and play with the right attitude! Classic planning starts with setting an ultimate goal, what is your target (National Champions). Then you lay out the path it takes to get to that goal (get and develop players that are NFL draft-able, install a can-do winning attitude, don’t backdown from anyone, etc...). Then the milestones (division champs, conference champs, etc) will happen.
I really like the article. It shows the mentality that PJ has in returning the U to greatness. I see nothing wrong with drawing the Alabama analogy, it gives credibility to the U as once having that type of stature. Of course, the societal problems that helped back then have changed, but we just have to adapt to the current landscape. It will not be easy, but it is possible and only if you believe that it can happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bitch bitch bitch moan moan moan....

He wasn't comparing the present day Gophers to Alabama. He was comparing the Gophers of the past to Alabama. The Gophers that won 7 National Championships... And putting it out there that that is the ultimate goal. To do it again. I love that goal! Kinda like saying we are putting a man on the moon when we don't even know how to build a rocket yet..., but it happened.

And to your other points, he is doing it "brick by brick" or by "rowing the boat" (upstream sometimes) And is taking a patient one step at a time approach that is very planned...

Did he say they were going to win the Nat'l championship this year? Huh?? Did he??

People that bitch about this stuff either don't get it or if they do get it, they want to make trouble... Either way they are the kind of people that kill the party when they walk in.

by all means, there are short-term goals and there are long-term goals.

If your long-term goal is to win a National Championship, great. But, to achieve that long-term goal, you have to first achieve the short term goals.

And, I believe that goals need to be (A) realistic and (B) achievable.

What is a realistic and achievable goal for Gopher football for 2018? Win at least 6 games and qualify for a bowl game. Now, if your results surpass that goal, that's a plus. In fact, it allows you to say honestly that "we surpassed our own goals for the year."

On the other hand, if you say your goal is to win 8 games, and you win 7, then you have failed to meet your goal.

For a program like the Gophers, that is trying to win back fans and build support, at the end of the year, I would much rather be talking about a team that surpassed its goals, instead of a team that failed to meet its goal.

You say defeatist - I say realistic.

The people who are now bashing Fleck and his relentless positivity and optimism are the same ones who were bashing Brewster's positivity and optimism. They are never going to change and they are always going to be complaining about something because that is how they live their lives. It has to be a bummer for their families, friends, and anyone else who has to spend time around them. Unfortunately, their children are probably going to grow up to be just like them.

There's a lot of that around this forum. Lots of talk of talking down expectations or such... because I guess we just assume PJ isn't aware of the talent he has or is lying or something... I think that goes hand in hand with the folks who expect we only always get better and such.

bitch bitch bitch moan moan moan....

He wasn't comparing the present day Gophers to Alabama. He was comparing the Gophers of the past to Alabama. The Gophers that won 7 National Championships... And putting it out there that that is the ultimate goal. To do it again. I love that goal! Kinda like saying we are putting a man on the moon when we don't even know how to build a rocket yet..., but it happened.

And to your other points, he is doing it "brick by brick" or by "rowing the boat" (upstream sometimes) And is taking a patient one step at a time approach that is very planned...

Did he say they were going to win the Nat'l championship this year? Huh?? Did he??

People that bitch about this stuff either don't get it or if they do get it, they want to make trouble... Either way they are the kind of people that kill the party when they walk in.

Just beat that stinking badger, PJ. Until that gets done people darn well ought to bitch, bitch bitch moan moan moan...and lots of other stuff. Until the stinking badger is beaten again by the GOPHER, life here in Gopherville is NOT pretty.

So do you think the metaphor should be taken literally, or do you understand that he is using a metaphor to convey his point?

More seriously, 6 years to PJ’s ambition would be an outrageously short time. I think SON has a point about that.

The people who are now bashing Fleck and his relentless positivity and optimism are the same ones who were bashing Brewster's positivity and optimism. They are never going to change and they are always going to be complaining about something because that is how they live their lives. It has to be a bummer for their families, friends, and anyone else who has to spend time around them. Unfortunately, their children are probably going to grow up to be just like them.
c35782a5ba8b5b3f3171c3eb0c192e63.jpg

So do you think the metaphor should be taken literally, or do you understand that he is using a metaphor to convey his point?

More seriously, 6 years to PJ’s ambition would be an outrageously short time. I think SON has a point about that.

Yes, I know what a metaphor is, thanks. I guess I just expect too much out of the use of them and should learn to be disappointed.

Maybe I’m being to hard on myself. Rome wasn’t built in a day you know.

by all means, there are short-term goals and there are long-term goals.

If your long-term goal is to win a National Championship, great. But, to achieve that long-term goal, you have to first achieve the short term goals.

And, I believe that goals need to be (A) realistic and (B) achievable.

What is a realistic and achievable goal for Gopher football for 2018? Win at least 6 games and qualify for a bowl game. Now, if your results surpass that goal, that's a plus. In fact, it allows you to say honestly that "we surpassed our own goals for the year."

On the other hand, if you say your goal is to win 8 games, and you win 7, then you have failed to meet your goal.

For a program like the Gophers, that is trying to win back fans and build support, at the end of the year, I would much rather be talking about a team that surpassed its goals, instead of a team that failed to meet its goal.

Your approach is one that lacks confidence and is more of a wait and see approach. You have noticed that PJ doesn’t set number of wins goal. What have you accomplished if you win 7 games with a 6 game goal? Has that really moved the team closer to the ultimate goal? A series of meaningless milestones that may not be met are counter productive. What if you have won 7 games with 2 games left in a 7 win goal season. Are you still moving towards your ultimate goal if you lose those last two games? What is the incentive to win, we already met expectations?
PJ’s goals are more like always improve your best, always do better than the day before. Schedules can change the level of difficulty from year to year, and placing arbitrary number of wins goals set you up for failures that can diminish the teams attitude.

Do the Navy Seals set short term goals? No, they set a series of objectives or tasks that will improve their ability to reach the mission objective. They don’t stop and sing Kumbaya after they cross the first fence.

Yes, I know what a metaphor is, thanks. I guess I just expect too much out of the use of them and should learn to be disappointed.

Maybe I’m being to hard on myself. Rome wasn’t built in a day you know.

Hey, rest easy. No need to be hard on yourself. Being a Gopher fan is hard enough on its own!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Your approach is one that lacks confidence and is more of a wait and see approach. You have noticed that PJ doesn’t set number of wins goal. What have you accomplished if you win 7 games with a 6 game goal? Has that really moved the team closer to the ultimate goal? A series of meaningless milestones that may not be met are counter productive. What if you have won 7 games with 2 games left in a 7 win goal season. Are you still moving towards your ultimate goal if you lose those last two games? What is the incentive to win, we already met expectations?
PJ’s goals are more like always improve your best, always do better than the day before. Schedules can change the level of difficulty from year to year, and placing arbitrary number of wins goals set you up for failures that can diminish the teams attitude.

Do the Navy Seals set short term goals? No, they set a series of objectives or tasks that will improve their ability to reach the mission objective. They don’t stop and sing Kumbaya after they cross the first fence.

So many contradictions in one post

Navy Seals? IALTO.

Top Bottom