It's Official: Kyle Lindsted Added to Gophers Coaching Staff

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the U:

Kyle Lindsted Added to Gophers Coaching Staff

University of Minnesota head men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino announced Friday the hiring of Kyle Lindsted as assistant coach. Lindsted arrives at the U after spending the last three seasons in the same role at Wichita State.

“We are very excited about the addition of Kyle to our basketball program,” Pitino said. “He’s a great recruiter and will bring a lot to our team. He’s got contacts all over the world and a wealth of knowledge about the game.”

In Lindsted's three seasons with the Shockers, WSU won nearly 80 percent of its games (82-22) en route to two Missouri Valley Conference regular season titles and one conference tournament crown. This past year, Wichita State finished second in its first season as members of the American Athletic Conference and earned its seventh consecutive NCAA Tournament berth as a No. 4 seed.

Prior to joining the college coaching ranks, Lindsted spent 15 years building Sunrise Christian Academy into one of the nation’s top prep basketball programs. From 2000 to 2015, Lindsted served as athletic director and head basketball coach at Sunrise. Between 2010 and 2015, his program produced an incredible 35 NCAA Division I players, including current Gophers Bakary Konate and Dupree McBrayer.

His father founded Sunrise in 1987, but it was Lindsted who put its basketball program on the map. After taking over the basketball program in 2000, he slowly built his alma mater from a relative unknown – even locally - into one of the nation’s most-respected high school programs, securing full Nike sponsorship and a multi-year contract with ESPN’s National High School Invitational.

In each of his last three years, Sunrise was ranked in the top 25 nationally. In his final game, Lindsted’s team captured the 2015 Bluegrass National Championship in Kentucky.

Lindsted’s success is rooted in his insistence on helping players mature in all aspects of life – including those outside of basketball – and his ability to form genuine, lasting relationships with the people around him.

In 2010, Sunrise produced a pair of Division I signees – the first of the Lindsted era – setting the wheels in motion. A growing track record of on-court success, mixed with Linsted’s reputation as a strong mentor, turned Sunrise into a destination spot for talented prospects looking to reach the next level.

In 2014 Sunrise’s high school and recently formed post-graduate team would combine to send 12 student-athletes to D-1 schools. Three additional players with Sunrise ties landed at the D-1 level via the JUCO ranks. In 2015, 10 more Sunrise alums signed on to D-1 programs.

Lindsted earned his undergraduate degree at Central Christian College in McPherson, Kan. He is married to his high school sweetheart, Anita, and the couple have six children: Casey (23), Cody (21), Chase (17), Cayden (12), C.J. (10), and Cyleigh (8).

Go Gophers!!

Welcome to the Gophers Kyle! Enjoy Minnesota. Best of luck. Happy trails.

Welcome Kyle...hope to meet see you at the D1 tourney this weekend!

Good resume, but why would an assistant leave a team that has 7 straight ncaa appearances vs a team over the same time has one or two?

The Gophers had more bowl appearances in recent years when they beat Alabama in the Music City Bowl. They seemed like a team on the rise and Alabama had not done anything in recent years. Why would Saban leave LSU to go there?

Big Ten,
Minneapolis,
Marshall hard to work for?
Recruiting base in Mpls
Who knows - he’s here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good resume, but why would an assistant leave a team that has 7 straight ncaa appearances vs a team over the same time has one or two?

Really? It is a B1G coaching job, he expands his experience, steps out of the shadow of Marshall, more money, etc... and because we are on an upward trend.

Really? It is a B1G coaching job, he expands his experience, steps out of the shadow of Marshall, more money, etc... and because we are on an upward trend.

I like the “upward trend” part of this. Isn’t it our turn for a bit of good fortune? How about this scenario:
1. Sign Stull, who goes crazy shooting threes this year
2. IW takes a big leap forward in year two and runs the team like he owns it.
3. The team stays healthy (only small, short-term injuries)
4. Oturu is an instant rim-protecting defender who also flashes decent offense
5. Stockman gives us solid minutes at center and plays like he belongs
6. Murphy, Curry and Coffey play like we know they can.
7. Omersa, in limited minutes, brings the often-filled Williams fans to their feet with highlights-reel dunks like Rodney used to do.
8. The team makes the Dance and wins a first-round game.

How about a little positive thinking?!

The Gophers have a chance to bounce back nicely next season, but far from a sure thing. Can you define “upward trend” for me?

I like the “upward trend” part of this. Isn’t it our turn for a bit of good fortune? How about this scenario:
1. Sign Stull, who goes crazy shooting threes this year
2. IW takes a big leap forward in year two and runs the team like he owns it.
3. The team stays healthy (only small, short-term injuries)
4. Oturu is an instant rim-protecting defender who also flashes decent offense
5. Stockman gives us solid minutes at center and plays like he belongs
6. Murphy, Curry and Coffey play like we know they can.
7. Omersa, in limited minutes, brings the often-filled Williams fans to their feet with highlights-reel dunks like Rodney used to do.
8. The team makes the Dance and wins a first-round game.

Exactly. Nice to see a positive outlook instead all that defeatist mood that invests the board. I don’t think your scenario is that far fetched, fans of most teams would have expectations like this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Gophers have a chance to bounce back nicely next season, but far from a sure thing. Can you define “upward trend” for me?

I'm interloping here, but I would call "upward trend" an NCAA bid, consistent quality basketball without drama, and easily perceived evidence that last year was an aberration, and the previous season is what we can expect on a regular basis. I might throw in a really good 19 recruiting class, too.

I'm interloping here, but I would call "upward trend" an NCAA bid, consistent quality basketball without drama, and easily perceived evidence that last year was an aberration, and the previous season is what we can expect on a regular basis. I might throw in a really good 19 recruiting class, too.

For me it also means beating Wisconsin more than losing to them.

I agree. I tend to think last season and the record setting bad season a few years ago are anomalies in the Pitino track record. We have repeatedly discussed Pitino’s blame in roster depth, etc... and Pitino is the first one to say he takes the blame for those bad seasons, but I think those were all part of the learning curve. He has shown that he can develop players, coach and recruit. He just needs to put it all together, which I think he is, and he will be a very successful coach at the U. So, therefore an upward trend....

Saying a program that has one winning conference season in the last 5 years is on an upward trend is quite the reach.

Saying a program that has one winning conference season in the last 5 years is on an upward trend is quite the reach.

Not that means squat once the win/losses for the season are finalized but we were ranked 14th in the country last year. A moral victory vs anything else we can hang our hat on.

Can’t see the forest for the trees. There are many more details about the program than just the W/L record that show progress. Ultimately, Pitino will have to win, but it takes time when you reach for a young coach. You have to live with the growing pains.

Why are you so negative? If you can’t get behind the coach why don’t you find another program to follow.

Why are you so negative? If you can’t get behind the coach why don’t you find another program to follow.

Amazing, you actually posted something beyond your usual whining.

Amazing, you actually posted something beyond your usual whining.

Funny, I don't think I have ever logged a "complaint" on the basketball board. All good though. Carry on with your incessant whining :)

. I like to think that I am guardedly optimistic. I agree we could have a big year with all the talent but I will stay guarded until I see Curry and Coffey play four or five healthy games. Both will play a crucial part if they are healthy. If they cannot, the roster is to thin again.

Everyone who comes here must suck because the team didn’t have a good record last year, right?

Everyone who comes here must suck because the team didn’t have a good record last year, right?

I said ‘Good resume’. It’s like the first two words. I can repeat this—The first word was “Good,” and the very next or second word was “resume.”

All upward trends have a starting point. For Gopher Basketball it is 2018.

. I like to think that I am guardedly optimistic. I agree we could have a big year with all the talent but I will stay guarded until I see Curry and Coffey play four or five healthy games. Both will play a crucial part if they are healthy. If they cannot, the roster is to thin again.
Yes, history has taught us to have guarded optimism. Success, this year, requires a lot of unknown variables. How well will all the injured players bounce back? Can they stay healthy all season? What version of Isaiah Washington will we see during the season? Will it be out-of-control Wahington or will it be intelligent decision making Washington? How will the five (or six) newcomers fit into Tino's system? Will they contribute immediately or will the learning curve be long and bumpy?
There are so many unanswered variables that the prudent approach must be guarded optimism. People who are bubbling over with giddiness are simply placing emotions over reasoning. They are welcome to follow their emotions, but I, like you, prefer guarded optimism.

Yes, history has taught us to have guarded optimism. Success, this year, requires a lot of unknown variables. How well will all the injured players bounce back? Can they stay healthy all season? What version of Isaiah Washington will we see during the season? Will it be out-of-control Wahington or will it be intelligent decision making Washington? How will the five (or six) newcomers fit into Tino's system? Will they contribute immediately or will the learning curve be long and bumpy?
There are so many unanswered variables that the prudent approach must be guarded optimism. People who are bubbling over with giddiness are simply placing emotions over reasoning. They are welcome to follow their emotions, but I, like you, prefer guarded optimism.

I think the best indication on Washington is that he improved in a big way towards the end of the season. In his last 10 games (starting with a 3 point game against NW) he average 12.9 ppg, 2.8 assists and 1.5 turnovers. He shot 44% from the field. Those are solid numbers and I believe his assist number could easily have been 4+ per game had he had a post player to pass to.

Then if you look at his 1st 22 games (a lot of them against weaker competition) he averaged 6.9ppg, 32% shooting, 2.1 assist and 1.5 turnovers. He got better in every category.
I think all of that bodes well for next year.

I think the best indication on Washington is that he improved in a big way towards the end of the season. In his last 10 games (starting with a 3 point game against NW) he average 12.9 ppg, 2.8 assists and 1.5 turnovers. He shot 44% from the field. Those are solid numbers and I believe his assist number could easily have been 4+ per game had he had a post player to pass to.

Then if you look at his 1st 22 games (a lot of them against weaker competition) he averaged 6.9ppg, 32% shooting, 2.1 assist and 1.5 turnovers. He got better in every category.
I think all of that bodes well for next year.

I'm excited for IW. I really think this team needs a dynamic distributor. I'm a little worried with more clock he's going to play more hero ball.

I'm excited for IW. I really think this team needs a dynamic distributor. I'm a little worried with more clock he's going to play more hero ball.

That is the number one concern. He has to distribute first. He can be a great one!

I think you are following your emotions with your guarded optimism. What team doesn’t have question marks about how players will perform this next year? This roster has depth with talent at most every position, it will be a team that can compete in the B1G.

Top Bottom