CBS: Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh exploring deferred compensation to pay players

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh is a trailblazer. From the "Signing of the Stars" on National Signing Day, to team trips to Italy and France to sleepovers with high school prospects, the fourth-year coach of the Wolverines is always pushing the envelope.

His next step is figuring out how to pay players.

Speaking at a fundraiser in Toledo, Ohio, he tossed out the idea of "deferred compensation" that could be raised in a creative way.

"Can we get $1,000 of stock in Amazon possibly for deferred compensation?" he asked, according to ESPN.com. "We're just kind of wondering if it's possible. We don't know if it is yet. We're just asking the question."

Why deferred compensation and not a strict payment while they're still in school? For that answer, Harbaugh played the role of semi-pro accountant.

"I think that 1 percent that is able to play college football to get their education and get their degree is what's best for them," he said. "That's a lot and it should be valued as such. I worry about making them employees for the biggest reason, I believe, is because of that ability to be taxed."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ploring-deferred-compensation-to-pay-players/

Go Gophers!!

Jim's right can't make them official employee's. Fortunately untraceable booster cash isn't taxable.

Top Bottom