"Secret Sauce": The Secret To Purdue's Success

hungan1

Reaction score
Almost upsetting Liousville and Heisman Trophy winner Lamar Jackson, upsetting Iowa who almost upset Penn State the following week. Of course, they beat MN 31-17. How did Purdue accomplish going 6-6 and beating Arizona in the Foster Farm Bowl Game?

Believe. That is Brohm's secret sauce. He has a more straight forward style than PJ Fleck in instilling values and culture.

"Brohm believes it’s the job of the coaching staff to instill the right mentality into its players. And if you can’t do that, you’ve lost the battle before it’s even begun. For all the credit Brohm gets from the college football cognoscenti for his prowess as an Xs and Os wiz, Brohm thinks his true secret sauce is his ability to convince a group of players that had won three Big Ten games in the past four seasons combined that they were capable of surpassing that total in just one."

https://247sports.com/Article/How-Jeff-Brohm-made-Purdue-believe-it-can-win-118091374

Brohm seems to have “it” after what can only be considered a really, really good season for Purdue but it was one season and one data point. If he can maintain and build on that after such a long period of ineptitude that will be really impressive. PJ has a script and he’s sticking to it. When he feels the time is right and he has the right personnel he’ll motivate and talk up the team as he did when he lobbied for the Cotton Bowl and delivered those great pregame speeches we all saw on tv.

Last year was weird - listless performances form O and D, bizarre play calling patterns, even placekicking fell off a notch like he had the yips. IMO Fleck’s attention was recruiting, and making examples of certain players to set a tone. I predict we look a lot better this year as he gets more of his his own players into the two deep, although the record may not predict it. He’s on the 4 year plan.

Coaches take over teams at different points in their cycles. Fleck took over a 9 win team that was likely headed for a 1-2 year downturn whether under him, Claeys, Kill, or Nick Saban. Brohm took over a crummy Purdue team that had nowhere to go but up, and their roster indicated they were likely to tick up a least a bit under most any coach in 2017.

It's too early to say one has a "secret sauce" and has it all figured out, and that one doesn't.

Already sniffed the Tenn. job, so Purdue better enjoy it while he is still there. Success will most likely land him an SEC job.

Coaches take over teams at different points in their cycles. Fleck took over a 9 win team that was likely headed for a 1-2 year downturn whether under him, Claeys, Kill, or Nick Saban. Brohm took over a crummy Purdue team that had nowhere to go but up, and their roster indicated they were likely to tick up a least a bit under most any coach in 2017.

It's too early to say one has a "secret sauce" and has it all figured out, and that one doesn't.

Based on? Their recruiting was worse than MN, they were in Year 1 of a coaching transition, and the team had won 3 Big Ten games in the prior 4 years. Going 7-6, beating Iowa in Iowa City in Year 1 is a major accomplishment. If PJ had done the same we’d be going bananas. I think PJ gets us there but he’s not a win now kind of coach.

They had two pretty good QBs on their roster (one who played like crap in their first half) and two standout defensive players.
Still the Gophers should have buried them in the first half of that game.

Yeah I am sure Saban would have not had a clue what to do....

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Yeah I am sure Saban would have not had a clue what to do....

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Saban only won 6 games at Alabama his first year with far more talent. Maybe he wouldn’t have...

I know Brohm will forevermore be compared to Fleck not just by us but by the media and other fan bases. He was a well thought of coach and more understated than Fleck so the Fleck haters will glom onto any success he as as proof Fleck is no good. They showed some moxie last year but the close game against Louisville had a lot to do with turbo that put Purdue right on the doorstep of the end zone. In the second half the gap was quickly closed and Purdue didn’t manage much.

Top Bottom