JUCO linebacker Ahmad McCullough commits to the Gophers

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers have received a commitment from JUCO linebacker Ahmad McCullough. This was the first Power-5 offer the linebacker has received to date. He will transfer into Minnesota from Hutchinson Community College in Kansas for the 2019 season.

On his small sample size of spring tape, you see a player who is very reactive and instinctive, using his closing speed to make plays. He moves well and makes quick decisions out of his backpedal. There are many situations where he will sprint across the field to finish plays. McCullough is very physical against the run and has the range to make plays in coverage. He possesses an intriguing build with 6-foot-3 length and 210-pound size to go along with athleticism and speed in his skill-set.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/9539919/5adb8107d21afe0b88830d93' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

I see Fleck doesn't like hitting the JuCo ranks...

He must really not like many recruits from last season.

I see Fleck doesn't like hitting the JuCo ranks...
Congratulations! You are the 100th person to make some variation of this comment!!!... Tell him what he's won Johnny!! Lol.
But seriously, what a coach prefers to do & what a new coach learns he has to do, are two different things. When you are at the top of the heap in MAC recruiting, you have the luxury of not taking as many jucos. But when you are a new coach of a middle of the pack Big Ten team, you figure out quickly that Minnesota isn't the same situation as Western Michigan. I mean, say what you will about Clayes, but he left a bit to be desired in forming a balanced depth chart. Obviously, a few players indiscretions & the usual new coach turnover played a major factor in that. So he's trying to plug a few of those holes. I imagine that down the road, if he's able to maintain a roster without much attrition and starts to win, you won't see as many jucos.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Like sands through the hourglass, this site becomes more unreadable

Congratulations! You are the 100th person to make some variation of this comment!!!... Tell him what he's won Johnny!! Lol.
But seriously, what a coach prefers to do & what a new coach learns he has to do, are two different things. When you are at the top of the heap in MAC recruiting, you have the luxury of not taking as many jucos. But when you are a new coach of a middle of the pack Big Ten team, you figure out quickly that Minnesota isn't the same situation as Western Michigan. I mean, say what you will about Clayes, but he left a bit to be desired in forming a balanced depth chart. Obviously, a few players indiscretions & the usual new coach turnover played a major factor in that. So he's trying to plug a few of those holes. I imagine that down the road, if he's able to maintain a roster without much attrition and starts to win, you won't see as many jucos.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thank for for explaining what PJ is thinking.

Linebacker is the deepest position on the team. I don't think he's required to bring in a junior JUCO LB with Martin, Barber, Cashman, Huff, Rush, Oliver, Shoenfelder, Guthrie, who could all potentially see snaps if needed (not counting guys like Sori-Marin, etc, who likely need a year). For what it's worth, Coughlin is still listed at LB on the depth chart, and could easily transition back in case of emergency.

Saying Claeys is at fault for the LB depth, when the position is so stacked they moved possibly the highest rated LB recruit in school history is little off (no credit?). It's also a little ridiculous to blame Claeys for the overall roster depth when PJ has been head coach now longer than Claeys was. Talk about bias and double standard.

You know, it could just be that this is a good player that he wanted on the roster. Every move PJ makes, especially in his third recruiting class (1 more than Claeys had) isn't a reactionary move to the previous regime. It's been long enough that it's time to start holding PJ accountable and park the excuse train at the station.

"Lol"

per Greder:

McCullough, of Baltimore, Md., had an offer from Eastern Michigan before he pledged to the Gophers, and Rutgers offered him a scholarship soon after his announcement Thursday afternoon.

McCullough is the 10th commit in the Gophers’ 2019 class and third from a junior college program. He is the fourth pledge in May, and his comes a day after top Illinois target, defensive end Jason Bargy, committed to the U on Wednesday.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/05/10/gophers-10th-commit-for-2019-is-juco-linebacker-from-maryland/

Go Gophers!!

So are we upset that he's recruiting JUCO's, or upset that he said he wasn't big on recruiting JUCO's and is now recruiting JUCO's.

I assume the latter.

If so, are we attributing that to that PJ is making an exception to his self-imposed preferences
or are we attributing that to the fact he just likes to lie a lot and he really wants to recruit a lot of JUCO's?

Seems like some posters on here are choosing the latter, which seems like the more UNlikely option of the two.

It's been long enough that it's time to start holding PJ accountable and park the excuse train at the station.

"Lol"

Huh? What are you talking about? This is a thread about a new commit. What exactly are you insisting we hold Fleck accountable for? That doesn't even make sense.

Linebacker is the deepest position on the team. I don't think he's required to bring in a junior JUCO LB with Martin, Barber, Cashman, Huff, Rush, Oliver, Shoenfelder, Guthrie, who could all potentially see snaps if needed (not counting guys like Sori-Marin, etc, who likely need a year). For what it's worth, Coughlin is still listed at LB on the depth chart, and could easily transition back in case of emergency.

Cashman and Huff will be graduated by the time McCullough steps on campus. Martin and Barber will be Seniors at that time. Everyone else will be underclassmen (including presumably McCullough).

Its an imbalance that is due to both Kill/Claeys and Fleck. Kill/Claeys playing Martin/Huff/Barber/Cashman as true freshmen. Fleck deciding LB was a relative strength and focusing 2017 recruiting class on other areas.

I think both of those decisions were the right ones. Doesn't change the fact that in 2019 we'll have just 2 upperclassmen linebackers. Its the reality of the situation and why I always thought a JUCO LB was inevitable.

So are we upset that he's recruiting JUCO's, or upset that he said he wasn't big on recruiting JUCO's and is now recruiting JUCO's.

I assume the latter.

If so, are we attributing that to that PJ is making an exception to his self-imposed preferences
or are we attributing that to the fact he just likes to lie a lot and he really wants to recruit a lot of JUCO's?

Seems like some posters on here are choosing the latter, which seems like the more UNlikely option of the two.

I think he's taking JUCO's to make up for his weak first recruiting class. Fill some holes he didn't have time to.

Huh? What are you talking about? This is a thread about a new commit. What exactly are you insisting we hold Fleck accountable for? That doesn't even make sense.

Don't bother trying to make sense of it....some people are just weird on here.

Welcome Ahmad McCullough! I'm thinking that the Junior College guys will allow us to redshirt a few guys to get stronger. Guys like McCollough will be able to step in right away. Welcome!

The Gophers have received a commitment from JUCO linebacker Ahmad McCullough. This was the first Power-5 offer the linebacker has received to date. He will transfer into Minnesota from Hutchinson Community College in Kansas for the 2019 season.

On his small sample size of spring tape, you see a player who is very reactive and instinctive, using his closing speed to make plays. He moves well and makes quick decisions out of his backpedal. There are many situations where he will sprint across the field to finish plays. McCullough is very physical against the run and has the range to make plays in coverage. He possesses an intriguing build with 6-foot-3 length and 210-pound size to go along with athleticism and speed in his skill-set.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/9539919/5adb8107d21afe0b88830d93' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

It looks like Rutgers and Colorado also offered according to 247.

Cashman and Huff will be graduated by the time McCullough steps on campus. Martin and Barber will be Seniors at that time. Everyone else will be underclassmen (including presumably McCullough).

Its an imbalance that is due to both Kill/Claeys and Fleck. Kill/Claeys playing Martin/Huff/Barber/Cashman as true freshmen. Fleck deciding LB was a relative strength and focusing 2017 recruiting class on other areas.

I think both of those decisions were the right ones. Doesn't change the fact that in 2019 we'll have just 2 upperclassmen linebackers. Its the reality of the situation and why I always thought a JUCO LB was inevitable.

This is a balanced and honest break down of our current depth at LB. It's also a good example of why balancing classes is important (we have a lot of LBers in 1 class).

The issue is a combo of Claeys being forced to play all of the FR LBers (can't blame him, they were needed and ready), and Fleck maybe under-recruiting the position last year (again, you can't blame him, he had a lot of spots). This recruit has 4 years to play 3, so he's essentially like a LB recruit from last year in terms of class balance. It makes perfect sense why PJ would be willing to grab a LBer who fits this mold - - he thinks he can play, brings more class balance, etc.

All of the class balance stuff aside, I think his highlight tape is pretty impressive. He moves around well.

Here is his HS tape.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4289110/57e7f7baf61708a4e86aa599

This is a balanced and honest break down of our current depth at LB. It's also a good example of why balancing classes is important (we have a lot of LBers in 1 class).

The issue is a combo of Claeys being forced to play all of the FR LBers (can't blame him, they were needed and ready), and Fleck maybe under-recruiting the position last year (again, you can't blame him, he had a lot of spots). This recruit has 4 years to play 3, so he's essentially like a LB recruit from last year in terms of class balance. It makes perfect sense why PJ would be willing to grab a LBer who fits this mold - - he thinks he can play, brings more class balance, etc.

All of the class balance stuff aside, I think his highlight tape is pretty impressive. He moves around well.

Here is his HS tape.

I've seen this a few times now, but I think it's 3 years to play 3.

Thank for for explaining what PJ is thinking.

Saying Claeys is at fault for the LB depth, when the position is so stacked they moved possibly the highest rated LB recruit in school history is little off (no credit?). It's also a little ridiculous to blame Claeys for the overall roster depth when PJ has been head coach now longer than Claeys was. Talk about bias and double standard.

You know, it could just be that this is a good player that he wanted on the roster. Every move PJ makes, especially in his third recruiting class (1 more than Claeys had) isn't a reactionary move to the previous regime. It's been long enough that it's time to start holding PJ accountable and park the excuse train at the station.

"Lol"

You and I have different definitions of 'stacked' and 'deepest position on the team'. You mention Shoenfelder - appears to be a walk-on. Have you heard something that he's in line to play? It would be a nice addition but I'm not banking on it.

In 2019:

SR Barber, Martin, (maybe Coughlin)
JR None
SO Maybe Guthrie (rivals depth chart has him as a 'R'). Otherwise the only SO would be true freshmen that play this year
rFR Rush, Oliver, Sori-Marin

Adding in a rSO or JR (depending on which article you read) seems like a smart play.

Agreed, LB depth has been a concern (of mine) for awhile.

Here is his HS tape.

+1

Here is his HS tape.

Well said. It's difficult to sometimes maintain a balance in position composition as classes move along due to injuries and transfers, but I agree that a team should try to hit every position group with recruits each year.

He definitely has some speed and gets to the ball quickly. Looks like a nice addition.

He definitely has some speed and gets to the ball quickly. Looks like a nice addition.
Yep, nice sideline to sideline speed, that'll play well with all the big DT's they are bringing in. Nice addition.

Wow, looks really athletic and good size to boot. What’s his story out of HS? Academics?

Just the right size for a serious B1G SS.

I think it's time to put the JUCO argument to bed. Whatever Fleck said, or didn't say, or meant, or didn't mean, the bottom line is this:

Fleck is the head coach of the Gophers. He's calling the shots. he is presumably recruiting the players he wants on the team. And we will get to see the results when the team plays its games.

If Fleck's approach is successful, everyone will know. If Fleck's approach is not successful, everyone will know.

Personally, if the Gophers win games, and go to a decent bowl game, I don't care - I absolutely don't care - how many JUCO's there are on the roster. If Fleck wants to become the new Bill Snyder, and go for an all-JUCO roster, fine with me - IF the Gophers win.

If the Gophers don't win, well, then the next head coach will have his own decisions to make, and roster issues to contend with.

I think it's time to put the JUCO argument to bed. Whatever Fleck said, or didn't say, or meant, or didn't mean, the bottom line is this:

Fleck is the head coach of the Gophers. He's calling the shots. he is presumably recruiting the players he wants on the team. And we will get to see the results when the team plays its games.

If Fleck's approach is successful, everyone will know. If Fleck's approach is not successful, everyone will know.

Personally, if the Gophers win games, and go to a decent bowl game, I don't care - I absolutely don't care - how many JUCO's there are on the roster. If Fleck wants to become the new Bill Snyder, and go for an all-JUCO roster, fine with me - IF the Gophers win.

If the Gophers don't win, well, then the next head coach will have his own decisions to make, and roster issues to contend with.

This.

You play out your recruiting classes and fill out holes as needed.

Once again, the EA Sports NCAA Football crowd tries to use video game mentality to solve real time problems. Mom's basement is a lonely place.

Once again, the EA Sports NCAA Football crowd tries to use video game mentality to solve real time problems. Mom's basement is a lonely place.

You keep saying this, and it continues to not make any sense whatsoever.

Top Bottom