Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Blog Entries

No doubt she is a gem.
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius L Hoops View Post
    A Perkins blast from the past.
    Thanks for the blast from the past. I loved that vid when it first came out, and still do. I’d nominate it as the best Perk at Play ever.

They used some nice production tricks. For instance when Perk made the half court shot, what do ya bet that was really the tail end of a Whay made shot spliced to the front end of a Perk attempt. Whay rejecting the wadded paper to the wastebasket at the end was the coup de grace.

Maybe Perk should reprise the video next fall, this time taking on Whay plus all the Gopher starters in sequence. Would be fun to see Destiny outshoot him from 7 feet behind the three point line, and Bello stuff him.
    Last edited by CutDownTheNet; 05-04-2019 at 09:17 AM.

Blog Entries

Here’s the Lynx article “Lynx Retire Lindsay Whalen’s Jersey in Touching Tribute to her Championship Legacy”
    https://lynx.wnba.com/news/lynx-reti...ionship-legacy containing the 9 minute Whay tribute video called “Lindsay Whalen | The Warrior” narrated by Maya Moore.

The Whalen Effect, indeed. Nice to see your jersey up there, Whay.

Blog Entries

Am I reading it correctly? Coach Whalen is landing the No. 1 MN 2021 Recruit - https://www.hometownsource.com/sun_p...6dfbad5c3.html

Let's hope this is developing trend with MN top talent choosing to play for the Gophers under Lindsay Whalen. Things will change if the Gophers Women's Basketball start making some noise.

Quote Originally Posted by hungan1 View Post
    Am I reading it correctly? Coach Whalen is landing the No. 1 MN 2021 Recruit - https://www.hometownsource.com/sun_p...6dfbad5c3.html

Let's hope this is developing trend with MN top talent choosing to play for the Gophers under Lindsay Whalen. Things will change if the Gophers Women's Basketball start making some noise.
    You are correct! McKenzie is a work in progress but the raw material is outstanding.

https://www.theday.com/article/20190...RT01/190829750

The Day: article on Whalen's jersey retirement by the Sun.

Mohegan — Very few of us truly know the athletes we admire personally. And still in our minds, we are quick to marry the mutually exclusive irrelevancies of success and character — as if one begets the other. They don’t.

Plus, it cheapens the narrative for the rare occasions we actually form friendships with athletes — or people in general — and one day happily realize they’re every bit as real as we could have hoped.

Lindsay Whalen was a ball of humor, humility and humanity in her days here as a guard for the Connecticut Sun. You rooted for her because you couldn’t help it. There were times she had this inimitable genius in making the sun move across the heavens out there on the court — and still crack you up in the locker room or out on the town after the game.

The franchise honored Whalen at halftime of Friday’s game, a night the old days became current events, even if for one night. Whalen returned to toast the past, all while one of the dramatis personae who made the past more fun, Bill Laimbeer, was coaching the other team, as he had many times in Neon Uncasville leading the nemesis known as the Detroit Shock.

Does Whalen still have a soft spot for her old digs? You decide:

“All my dad and I have been talking about is where we’re going to eat and drink when we got here,” she said before Friday’s game. “We have Saturday planned. The Spot (in Groton) for lobster bisque and then we have reservations in Mystic at night. My mom said to me ‘we’re never going to have time to go to all these places you want to go.’”

Whalen never played a game here for anyone other than Mike Thibault, the coach in Washington now, the man who led the Sun twice to the WNBA Finals. The Sun were a big family in those days. Maybe that’s why we always joked Whalen was the “fifth Thibault,” joining Mike, Nanci, Eric and Carly.

Sun president Mitchell Etess: “She was the guts of our franchise. She represented what the Connecticut Sun has been to people.”

John Altavilla of the Hartford Courant, who has covered the NHL and NFL in his many years doing this, wrote, "Listen, everyone associated with the Sun — the coaches, management, fans and media — love Lindsay Whalen to death because she's a great player, a wonderful ambassador for the league and a tremendous, fun-loving person. On a personal level, I have never enjoyed writing about a player as much in my career as Lindsay, as accommodating a pro athlete as can be.”

Among the reasons for the hosannas: She always made us laugh. Whalen has a Ph.D. in practical jokes and deadpans, often using Tavares, the media relations manager at the time, as her foil.

Wow. Some great Whalen stories and testimonials. And the guy who wrote the article can flat out write.