Pioneer Press: Bob Motzko wants Gophers hockey to be older, tougher

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Jace:

It's a "crazy world" in men's college hockey right now, new Gophers coach Bob Motzko said.

The Gophers team that won the national title in 2002, with which Motzko served as an assistant coach, was led by star players such as John Pohl and Jordan Leopold — who were both seniors.

"Those days have changed," Motzko said.

A team's best players being seniors is fading farther from the norm with each passing season in college hockey, as talented players are bolting for the pro game before their final seasons.

Four first-round draft picks have left the Gophers after their freshman season since 2006, the most recent being Casey Mittelstadt, who bolted for the Buffalo Sabres this spring. Asked for his thoughts on recruiting players who are likely to leave after one or two seasons, Motzko said the Gophers want to be "a little older."

"I can't define for you 'a little older,' but one year older," Motzko said. "We want guys to stay that one extra year, and we want to make sure we have four-year players in our program."

Asked if age has been a common denominator among championship teams in recent years, Motzko said, "there's a good one."

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sp...-motzko-wants-gophers-hockey-be-older-tougher

Go Gophers!!

It wouldn't be a bad thing for the squad to be a year or two older (experienced). And also I would say that the squad in recent years the team has been what some people would call soft. To me an unprofessional hockey guy I can't say soft, but I wouldn't mind to see the squad be a bit more physical, but not on the level of NoDak (bunch of goons).

It wouldn't be a bad thing for the squad to be a year or two older (experienced). And also I would say that the squad in recent years the team has been what some people would call soft. To me an unprofessional hockey guy I can't say soft, but I wouldn't mind to see the squad be a bit more physical, but not on the level of NoDak (bunch of goons).
We need a little UND on this squad. Cruit the ohenoms, and get some 21 year old Canucks to protect them, by the time that goon is 25 they'll be a productive senior

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom