Fleck: You might see multiple Gopher QBs early in the season

I went to Augsburg College. One year, for various reasons, we started the season with only 2 healthy QB's on the roster. (I say "we" because I was the team statistician) You guessed it = they both got hurt. We wound up putting the starting TB at QB and running out of the shotgun. he was a good back, but didn't have a great arm, so if we really needed to throw the ball, we would put the TE in motion, pitch him the ball, and he would try to throw it.

point being - you do not want to be throwing a completely untested QB into a conference game.

By all means, you want to win the non-conference games. But, if it comes down to a choice, I would choose to develop my depth at QB.

Call me a pessimist, but I keep imagining a game at Ohio State or Nebraska. the Starting QB goes down with an injury, and the Gophers send out a QB who has never taken a snap in a D1 game to play in a hostile environment. that is a recipe for disaster.

I went to Augsburg College. One year, for various reasons, we started the season with only 2 healthy QB's on the roster. (I say "we" because I was the team statistician) You guessed it = they both got hurt. We wound up putting the starting TB at QB and running out of the shotgun. he was a good back, but didn't have a great arm, so if we really needed to throw the ball, we would put the TE in motion, pitch him the ball, and he would try to throw it.

point being - you do not want to be throwing a completely untested QB into a conference game.

By all means, you want to win the non-conference games. But, if it comes down to a choice, I would choose to develop my depth at QB.

Call me a pessimist, but I keep imagining a game at Ohio State or Nebraska. the Starting QB goes down with an injury, and the Gophers send out a QB who has never taken a snap in a D1 game to play in a hostile environment. that is a recipe for disaster.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this what good ol Jer did with Phillip Nelson at Wisconsin?

Top Bottom