Fleck: You might see multiple Gopher QBs early in the season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Weisbrod:

Here are a few things that each coach had to say:

PJ Fleck on the quarterback situation...

“We have the ability with the quarterback situation to let the process play itself out and get through training camp and make a decision. We are in a situation similar to last year. Not one of our quarterbacks have thrown a college pass. I can continue to say that because that’s a fact. That’s not hiding behind anything; that’s not making an excuse. That’s a fact and that’s where we are in year one. That’s exciting, but one thing I will say is you might see multiple quarterbacks at some positions, especially early in the season. Because if someone get hurt, I don’t want them to walk into the game and that to be their first college experience. We are investing more at the quarterback situation.”

Breakdown: As of Tuesday, the Gophers have five quarterbacks on the roster in highly-regarded junior college transfer Vic Viramontes; redshirt freshman Tanner Morgan of Union, Kentucky; former Mankato West and IMG Academy true freshman Zach Annexstad; former Minnehaha Academy redshirt freshman Samuel Pickerign and former defensive back Jon Santaga. Annexstad and Morgan performed well in the annual spring game but Viramontes has the most experience of the entire group after spending one season at Riverside Community College in Riverside, Calif. Pickerign and Santaga appear to be the furthest down the depth chart. Former quarterback, and four-star recruit, Seth Green, has been moved to tight end.

PJ Fleck on overall team depth and experience...

“We are way younger and way more inexperienced. We have more numbers [but] I wouldn’t consider us a deep team. We have some depth and we didn’t have any depth last year. It’s exciting. It’s a new year; sometimes when players haven’t played enough or haven’t played at all, they don’t know how good they are and they don’t know how bad they are; we get to transform that throughout the whole year. I am really looking forward to seeing a lot of these freshmen to come in and play. We are going to be one of the most youthful teams in the country, which I like. That doesn’t mean that you are picked to win the league, but it’s starting that process of what people are going to see in the future.”

Breakdown: According to 247sports.com, Minnesota’s 2018 recruiting class is ranked No. 37 in the nation and No. 7 in the Big Ten Conference. The class features three consensus four-star recruits, including a pair of mammoth offensive lineman from IMG Academy in Curtis Dunlap (6-foot-4, 368 pounds) and Daniel Faalele (6-8, 400). Rashod Bateman is the most highly-regarded “skill” position player of the group as a four-star wide receiver from Tifton, Geogria. Fleck said that he expects several freshmen to contribute right away, but Dunlap will likely redshirt.

http://www.southernminn.com/owatonn...cle_dabcd007-46a0-5d31-aa5d-226fc5476d01.html

Go Gophers!!

per Weisbrod:

Here are a few things that each coach had to say:

PJ Fleck on the quarterback situation...

“We have the ability with the quarterback situation to let the process play itself out and get through training camp and make a decision. We are in a situation similar to last year. Not one of our quarterbacks have thrown a college pass. I can continue to say that because that’s a fact. That’s not hiding behind anything; that’s not making an excuse. That’s a fact and that’s where we are in year one. That’s exciting, but one thing I will say is you might see multiple quarterbacks at some positions, especially early in the season. Because if someone get hurt, I don’t want them to walk into the game and that to be their first college experience. We are investing more at the quarterback situation.”

Breakdown: As of Tuesday, the Gophers have five quarterbacks on the roster in highly-regarded junior college transfer Vic Viramontes; redshirt freshman Tanner Morgan of Union, Kentucky; former Mankato West and IMG Academy true freshman Zach Annexstad; former Minnehaha Academy redshirt freshman Samuel Pickerign and former defensive back Jon Santaga. Annexstad and Morgan performed well in the annual spring game but Viramontes has the most experience of the entire group after spending one season at Riverside Community College in Riverside, Calif. Pickerign and Santaga appear to be the furthest down the depth chart. Former quarterback, and four-star recruit, Seth Green, has been moved to tight end.

PJ Fleck on overall team depth and experience...

“We are way younger and way more inexperienced. We have more numbers [but] I wouldn’t consider us a deep team. We have some depth and we didn’t have any depth last year. It’s exciting. It’s a new year; sometimes when players haven’t played enough or haven’t played at all, they don’t know how good they are and they don’t know how bad they are; we get to transform that throughout the whole year. I am really looking forward to seeing a lot of these freshmen to come in and play. We are going to be one of the most youthful teams in the country, which I like. That doesn’t mean that you are picked to win the league, but it’s starting that process of what people are going to see in the future.”

Breakdown: According to 247sports.com, Minnesota’s 2018 recruiting class is ranked No. 37 in the nation and No. 7 in the Big Ten Conference. The class features three consensus four-star recruits, including a pair of mammoth offensive lineman from IMG Academy in Curtis Dunlap (6-foot-4, 368 pounds) and Daniel Faalele (6-8, 400). Rashod Bateman is the most highly-regarded “skill” position player of the group as a four-star wide receiver from Tifton, Geogria. Fleck said that he expects several freshmen to contribute right away, but Dunlap will likely redshirt.

http://www.southernminn.com/owatonn...cle_dabcd007-46a0-5d31-aa5d-226fc5476d01.html

Go Gophers!!

Year one. :clap:

No hiding, no excuses. Mark it down.......

So not rotating QBs but maybe seeing something like VV lining up as an H-back?

per Weisbrod:

That’s not hiding behind anything; that’s not making an excuse.

OMG GET HIM GOPHERHOLE USERS!!!!

----

Anyway just the idea of QBs sharing time again:

CgcYU6I.gif

So not rotating QBs but maybe seeing something like VV lining up as an H-back?

It might be intersting to do that, but after last year I think they need to figure out how to run simple plays reliably first before they add that level of complexity.

Back to the original post, going into next year I just want A starting QB. I hope they do play one or both of the other QB's for a drive here and there and/or in mop up duty to get them experience. But I want A guy who is THE guy. I don't want to be questioning which QB will get the ball when the game is on the line in the 4th quarter. I'll be really disappointed if they are in another QB by committee situation next year (unless all involved are top ten nationwide caliber QB's, but when has that ever happened?). I think the QB rotation and lack of a firm starter negatively impacted both QB's and all the WR's last year.

That won't happen if the coaching staff is developing the available talent.

It might be intersting to do that, but after last year I think they need to figure out how to run simple plays reliably first before they add that level of complexity.

Back to the original post, going into next year I just want A starting QB. I hope they do play one or both of the other QB's for a drive here and there and/or in mop up duty to get them experience. But I want A guy who is THE guy. I don't want to be questioning which QB will get the ball when the game is on the line in the 4th quarter. I'll be really disappointed if they are in another QB by committee situation next year (unless all involved are top ten nationwide caliber QB's, but when has that ever happened?). I think the QB rotation and lack of a firm starter negatively impacted both QB's and all the WR's last year.

Agree.

I didn't read it that he is thinking that rotating QBs is in the mix...but he is open to putting two QBs together on the field, at least in the beginning of the season. Fleck will definitely push these guys preseason until one has elevated his play, I have no doubt about that...we will know who is #1.

Only time and the Big Ten record will tell IF the second "year one" will be any better...or...worse than the first "year one" was. Perhaps it is a bit confusing. Perhaps it is a bit of a rationalization. Perhaps multiple reruns of "year one..." is what "...row the boat..." phraseology and culture is all about. Perhaps no one in the house cares. I assume no one in the house is completely certain, at this point in time. I certainly am not, but that is just me, I guess.

Time and Big Ten wins and losses will put it ALL into proper perspective. Good luck to us all in "...year one...the second time around. Beat the stinking badger, GOPHER! Hope there will still not be talk about "year one..." too many times after this second "year one..." is in the books. That would be just too, too much I fear...

But, I really do think multiple quarterbacks makes a lot more sense in the second "first year" than multiple "year one" seasons make regardless of the quarterback situations. A second year one means that the first year one didn't exist. Sounds a bit weak to me.

Intuition, limited observation, Zack wins the number one spot eventually. That’s what I saw.

Intuition, limited observation, Zack wins the number one spot eventually. That’s what I saw.

Intuition, limited observation, and guess - Zack will not only win the No. 1 spot eventually; he will win it sooner rather than later. That is what everyone saw during the spring game whether they recognized it or not.

Is this actually Year 1 (aka Year 2 for those who count correctly), or is the jury still out on Year 0.1? Has the extension paperwork been filed for a second Year 0?

I just want to know where we are in the timeline so I know when Fleck is responsible for what happens on the field. I also want to make sure the NCAA isnt stealing a year of eligibility for a year that doesn't exist.

Intuition, limited observation, and guess - Zack will not only win the No. 1 spot eventually; he will win it sooner rather than later. That is what everyone saw during the spring game whether they recognized it or not.

Hmm I've watched it twice, I better watch it again because that is not what I recognized.

Translating PJ speak: "We're gonna get @$$ planted all season long."

Is this actually Year 1 (aka Year 2 for those who count correctly), or is the jury still out on Year 0.1? Has the extension paperwork been filed for a second Year 0?

I just want to know where we are in the timeline so I know when Fleck is responsible for what happens on the field. I also want to make sure the NCAA isnt stealing a year of eligibility for a year that doesn't exist.

We red-shirted year zero?

Only time and the Big Ten record will tell IF the second "year one" will be any better...or...worse than the first "year one" was. Perhaps it is a bit confusing. Perhaps it is a bit of a rationalization. Perhaps multiple reruns of "year one..." is what "...row the boat..." phraseology and culture is all about. Perhaps no one in the house cares. I assume no one in the house is completely certain, at this point in time. I certainly am not, but that is just me, I guess.

Time and Big Ten wins and losses will put it ALL into proper perspective. Good luck to us all in "...year one...the second time around. Beat the stinking badger, GOPHER! Hope there will still not be talk about "year one..." too many times after this second "year one..." is in the books. That would be just too, too much I fear...

But, I really do think multiple quarterbacks makes a lot more sense in the second "first year" than multiple "year one" seasons make regardless of the quarterback situations. A second year one means that the first year one didn't exist. Sounds a bit weak to me.

As a Public Service to the Board; I will give the interpretation of imthewalrus' post:

We are in year one.
Time and Big Ten wins are important.
Multiple Quarterbacks are good in year one.

Jerry Kill wasn't responsible for the Gopher's record during his first two years as coach. He complained about the players he inherited from Brewster almost every time he talked to the media. Any Gopher player during the 2011 and 2012 seasons will confirm this. Accordingly, Kill's third year as Gophers coach was really Year 1 as far as Jerry was concerned. Fleck seems to be on the same timeline as Jerry.

Who the Fck cares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bravo, and thank you for your public service. I applaud anyone who can understand beowolf...
As a Public Service to the Board; I will give the interpretation of imthewalrus' post:

We are in year one.

IMHO, Fleck and the Gophers HAVE to find out which one of the QB's can play - and produce - in game situations. Not practice - not a scrimmage - but game situations. A real game against a real opponent. And the only way to find out how someone plays in a game is to.......wait for it......play them in a game.

Therefore, if I was making the decisions, I would make sure that all 3 QB's get significant opportunities in the non-conf games to run the offense. I'm not talking about a few plays or a series - I'm talking about running the offense for at least a quarter, or a half uninterrupted. That is what I would do. Because, by the time they get to Big Ten Games ( hi, wren), they need to know who the #1 QB is, and they need to know which of the top 3 can produce in real game situations.

My worst-case scenario goes something like this: Gophers anoint 1 QB as the starter after fall camp. He plays virtually all the snaps in non-conf games. Then, in the conference opener, the anointed QB goes down with an injury, and now they're running out a completely untested QB in a conference game.

To avoid that, I would play all 3 in the non-conf games, and let the best man win the starting job for the conference opener.

I have trouble buying into the idea that a handful of plays is really that much experience and that valuable compared to say one dude playing the whole time.

We are in year one.
Multiple Quarterbacks are good in year one.[/QUOTE

Nice try. However, you failed to catch the drift of all the inner, hidden, deeper secret meaning embedded within that sucker. Keep trying though kid.

Only time and the Big Ten record will tell IF the second "year one" will be any better...or...worse than the first "year one" was. Perhaps it is a bit confusing. B.

It is a good thing he no longer teaches 6th graders!

I know that the word "sucker" has deeper meaning, but I just can't...

We are in year one.

Nice try. However, you failed to catch the drift of all the inner, hidden, deeper secret meaning embedded within that sucker. Keep trying though kid.

Jerry Kill wasn't responsible for the Gopher's record during his first two years as coach. He complained about the players he inherited from Brewster almost every time he talked to the media. Any Gopher player during the 2011 and 2012 seasons will confirm this. Accordingly, Kill's third year as Gophers coach was really Year 1 as far as Jerry was concerned. Fleck seems to be on the same timeline as Jerry.

I never once have heard any coach actively talk about his first year being anything other than his first year, except PJ Fleck.

Kill certainly talked about the mess that was left behind, but he never tried to claim it somehow didn't count, or that he was unconcerned with the results. and his teams never quit or gave up.

Enough already with the Year 0/Year 1 gripes. 2017 was his first season as HC and they were 5-7. 2018 is his second season. He will be held accountable for each year he is the HC for the Gophers.

As for QBs, it makes absolute sense to get the top 2, maybe 3 guys meaningful game action in the first 3 games in preparation for Big Ten season, but note that the Gophers need every win they can get.

Top Bottom