Fleck on Whalen: "our popularity has gone down a lot since Lindsay’s been hired"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Fleck on Whalen: "our popularity has gone down a lot since Lindsay’s been hired"

per the Mankato Free Press:

The caravan stop featured several coaches, including Motzko, the former St. Cloud State coach who replaced the recently retired Don Lucia, as well as football coach P.J. Fleck, men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino and men’s gymnastics coach Mike Burns, who brought along the national runner-up trophy his team captured in Chicago last month.

But it was the coach who wasn’t there — Whalen — who was the subject of conversation.

“She’s dynamite; she really is,” said Fleck, who will begin his second season with Minnesota in the fall. “Every single one of us, our popularity has gone down a lot since Lindsay’s been hired, which is a huge compliment to her.”

“Having Lindsay there is really exciting,” said Brandon Eggum, who just completed his first full season as Minnesota’s wrestling coach. “Really cool to see her come back.

"It’s unique because she’s still out there competing at the highest level and coaching and doing both of those things so she’s going to be busy. … I couldn’t imagine doing that.”

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/spo...cle_b3ee9d24-52ff-11e8-8389-478270ca1526.html

Go Gophers!!

Bob Motzko's comments were great, too.

“About 30 days ago, about a month now (since) I’ve been hired at the University of Minnesota, and it was a whirlwind experience to get the job at Minnesota, and that first week was incredible. The fanfare with the media, on all the television stations around the state, I was becoming a pretty big dude around the state. Then Mark (Coyle) hired Lindsay Whalen. I am the new hockey coach, no one has talked about it since.

Whalen has a quiet mystique about her - she's young and has boundless energy, she's won at every level, she's a very likable person, and she is bound to attract great recruits to MN. She is committed to excellence in her sport. Of course, she is the darling of local media for now. She has to learn to be a coach real fast which I think won't be a problem.

Nothing against Motzko as he'll bring an exciting style of hockey to the Gophers if he is does what he's done at SCSU. PJ Fleck has his moment under the spotlight. We are waiting to see his vision come to fruition.

Top Bottom