Pioneer Press: Adding transfers will help Gophers men’s basketball ‘stay old’

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Jace:

“My goal is to always find a way to not get young,” Pitino said. “If we can stay old, let’s do it. If it’s regular transfers, fifth-year transfers, we’re going to look at all those options.”

With that philosophy in mind, the Gophers have added two transfers over the past few weeks — first netting Vanderbilt transfer guard Payton Willis in late April, then reportedly adding Pittsburgh transfer guard Marcus Carr on Monday.

Both Carr and Willis are likely to have to sit out this season because of NCAA transfer rules, but Carr still has three seasons of NCAA eligibility remaining, while Willis has two.

Pitino couldn’t discuss or even mention Carr, as his addition isn’t yet official, but the coach said Willis is a guard with size who can play multiple positions.

“Anybody who’s got experience like he does at the SEC level is something that excites us,” Pitino said. “So he can come in and, right away, with his skill, with his ability to shoot the ball and his size, I think he’s going to fit in the Big Ten really well.”

Pitino said he “feels great” about the balance the roster has going into this season. The Gophers will have experienced veterans such as Dupree McBrayer, Amir Coffey and Jordan Murphy and a senior transfer in center Matz Stockman, along with sophomores Isaiah Washington and Eric Curry, and the Gophers’ three incoming recruits — Daniel Oturu, Jarvis Omersa and Gabe Kalscheur — all of whom are Minnesotans.

Then the following year, after Murphy, Stockman and McBrayer graduate, the Gophers will restock with more experienced players in Willis and Carr. Youth might be stuck in the Gophers’ rear-view mirror.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/05/08/adding-transfers-will-help-gophers-mens-basketball-stay-old/

Go Gophers!!

I agree with the theory but not always with the execution of it. I think I'd prefer to see freshman recruits stick around until they are seniors but that also seems nearly impossible to expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom