Pit transfer Marcus Carr officially commits to Minnesota

What are these unique PG only skills you speak of?

Any 2 guard player has to have some level of similar/overlapping 'skills' to a 1.

#1 The ability to make the best decision instantly. The ability to focus on the next play, not dwell on mistakes. There is a personality difference. Ideally a point guard makes his teammates better.
A 2 guards role is to score points. You focus on different skills...ideally a 2 guard is able to make a post entry pass from the wing. Not easy to teach but a lot easier than the unlimited situations a point guard has to make plays, passes decisions from.
Certainly not all guards can handle or pass but the biggest separator are the decisions guys make, especially under duress. How do they react to adversity. It’s not just the obvious skills that make a good point guard.
Is he going to implement your desires, your game plan or ignore your wishes and do his own creative thing? Lots of variables to the equation.

Any 2 guard player has to have some level of similar/overlapping 'skills' to a 1.

Ball handling under pressure, decision making, quickness, and ability to create for others is valuable for any position, but are musts for a point guard. It's okay for a point guard to be a scorer, but I want them to be able to set other guys up too. If those are weaknesses for someone, I don't want them playing point guard. Do you think Harris would have been a good option at PG? Did you think Hoffarber was equally effective at PG as he was off the ball? I get the feeling you don't really think positions matter.

Ball handling under pressure, decision making, quickness, and ability to create for others is valuable for any position, but are musts for a point guard. It's okay for a point guard to be a scorer, but I want them to be able to set other guys up too. If those are weaknesses for someone, I don't want them playing point guard.

It was a sarcastic question. This, we must get a backup 'true point guard' talk on here is way over the top.

Dupree folded against Iowa, it happens... even to 'true' PGs. He can fill the PG roll for spot duty.

Pitino said this week that he was not looking for a true PG, but he likes to add skilled players who can help out in a variety of ways.

It was a sarcastic question. This, we must get a backup 'true point guard' talk on here is way over the top.

Dupree folded against Iowa, it happens... even to 'true' PGs. He can fill the PG roll for spot duty.

Pitino said this week that he was not looking for a true PG, but he likes to add skilled players who can help out in a variety of ways.

I'm perfectly fine with a combo guard as long as they have most of the skills I listed above. They don't have to be a "true" or "pure" point guard. Now that we only have one scholarship left, I really want Stull even though I don't think he is someone who will be playing any point guard for us (could be wrong). Getting Stull would improve our outside shooting and would allow McBrayer to play more minutes at PG, which I would be fine with. I don't think it would be ideal to have McBrayer playing 30 minutes there, but I think we can get by just fine with him playing there for 10ish minutes, especially if Coffey is on the court with him.

As other posters have pointed out, there are a number of different attributes, and they are all important. To me, the number one thing is ball-handling skills. All guards need to have decent handles, but your PG should have Curley Neal-like ball-handling skills. While IW’s decision-making thus far has left much to be desired, his handles are excellent. He has the ability to dribble out of double teams if needed and get out of trouble. I feel like Mason had very good handles. Prior to him, we had a number of starters and fill-ins over the years that made for a highlight reel of bloopers and blunders in dribbling off of feet, etc. I don’t think Dupree is at that high level desired, but he is better than many we have seen. He would do OK in limited backup minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While IW’s decision-making thus far has left much to be desired, his handles are excellent. He has the ability to dribble out of double teams if needed and get out of trouble. I feel like Mason had very good handles. Prior to him, we had a number of starters and fill-ins over the years that made for a highlight reel of bloopers and blunders in dribbling off of feet, etc.

Mason will be missed, he knew when he needed to shoot vs. get other people going. IW, has a long ways to go there. As far as beating the press by himself, he's fantastic... just don't know what kind of silly shot he's going to take when he keeps going.

Never seen such a skilled/coordinated guy brick point blank 3-5'ers off the backboard (no rim) like IW did this year.

Mason will be missed, he knew when he needed to shoot vs. get other people going. IW, has a long ways to go there. As far as beating the press by himself, he's fantastic... just don't know what kind of silly shot he's going to take when he keeps going.

Never seen such a skilled/coordinated guy brick point blank 3-5'ers off the backboard (no rim) like IW did this year.

Mason will be missed. However, one thing that Mason did was shoot a lot and miss a lot. He was a career 39% shooter. Washington, as a frosh was .367...not that far behind.

What hurt Washington this past year was his 3 point shooting which was awful at 21%. But his 2 point shooting was actually BETTER than Nate Mason's

Washington 81-192 42%
Mason 91-231 39%

As other posters have pointed out, there are a number of different attributes, and they are all important. To me, the number one thing is ball-handling skills. All guards need to have decent handles, but your PG should have Curley Neal-like ball-handling skills. While IW’s decision-making thus far has left much to be desired, his handles are excellent. He has the ability to dribble out of double teams if needed and get out of trouble. I feel like Mason had very good handles. Prior to him, we had a number of starters and fill-ins over the years that made for a highlight reel of bloopers and blunders in dribbling off of feet, etc. I don’t think Dupree is at that high level desired, but he is better than many we have seen. He would do OK in limited backup minutes.

Curley Neal!!!! Love that reference!

I'm perfectly fine with a combo guard as long as they have most of the skills I listed above. They don't have to be a "true" or "pure" point guard. Now that we only have one scholarship left, I really want Stull even though I don't think he is someone who will be playing any point guard for us (could be wrong). Getting Stull would improve our outside shooting and would allow McBrayer to play more minutes at PG, which I would be fine with. I don't think it would be ideal to have McBrayer playing 30 minutes there, but I think we can get by just fine with him playing there for 10ish minutes, especially if Coffey is on the court with him.

Agree with this. I think we could get by with 10 min. of McBrayer at point, but not much more than that. I dont think we can minimize the fact that IW and Mason had point guard skills not possessed by our other guards. Other posters have delineated these skills so I won't repeat, but so much of offense relies on rhythm and comfort level. Players being put out of position for long periods of time isn't helpful. Hope I'm wrong. Also hope Carr is immediately eligible, McBrayer is healthy, and Washington plays foul free.

Count me as someone not high on Dupree running point in spot duty. Hasn't looked reliable to me and more of a turnover machine. Didn't appear strong bringing the ball up the court to me but time and practice help. Hope he proves me wrong though.

If Dupree is playing point we're in huge trouble, I'd much rather have Coffey do it.

Count me as someone not high on Dupree running point in spot duty. Hasn't looked reliable to me and more of a turnover machine. Didn't appear strong bringing the ball up the court to me but time and practice help. Hope he proves me wrong though.

Pretty sure Pitino said he hasn't done a thing since the season ended. Rest, rest, rest for him.

To me, the number one thing is ball-handling skills.

Disagree. I think the #1 thing is decision making and getting the ball to your teammates where and when they want it, and identifying trends like who it hot, mismatches, etc. And that does not happen if you're a part-time PG.

Not going to get into a spat about it, just my 2 cents (not adjusted for inflation).

Disagree. I think the #1 thing is decision making and getting the ball to your teammates where and when they want it, and identifying trends like who it hot, mismatches, etc. And that does not happen if you're a part-time PG.

Not going to get into a spat about it, just my 2 cents (not adjusted for inflation).

Hard to disagree with the importance of decision-making. However, if you can’t hold on to the ball, there aren’t many decisions to make, other than what you are going to do while you sit on the bench [emoji15]

Pretty sure Pitino said he hasn't done a thing since the season ended. Rest, rest, rest for him.

Both Coffey and McBrayer have gotten by only using their strong hands. They need be able to dribble with their right hand before getting heavy PG minutes. Typical southpaws

Both Coffey and McBrayer have gotten by only using their strong hands. They need be able to dribble with their right hand before getting heavy PG minutes. Typical southpaws

Well, we don't need either of them to get heavy point guard minutes given that Washington will likely be playing a minimum of 30 minutes there.

Well, we don't need either of them to get heavy point guard minutes given that Washington will likely be playing a minimum of 30 minutes there.

True, but we should be worried about depth. Players get hurt, especially Gophers, right?

Interesting that in the official announcement from the U, it only refers to three years of eligibility remaining but not a sit out year. Someone is thinking/hoping there is a shot at immediate eligibility.

I definitely think Pitino has hopes of immediate eligibility for MC. The latest recommendations point to that happening, but timeline? I suspect he is more attuned to the likelihood of that than I am. Things really fall into place if Marcus is eligible this year.

I definitely think Pitino has hopes of immediate eligibility for MC. The latest recommendations point to that happening, but timeline? I suspect he is more attuned to the likelihood of that than I am. Things really fall into place if Marcus is eligible this year.

I bet that since the coach was fired at Pitt, he could appeal and get immediate eligibility.

I bet that since the coach was fired at Pitt, he could appeal and get immediate eligibility.

That would be HUGE. I would really like our roster, and even more if we could add a 3-pt shooting grad transfer (Stull?) or JC guy (Bandoo?).

Sounds like we have a good shot at Bandoo who is announcing tomorrow.

I think we will get Bandoo tmr and I think he will be good but that makes this that much more important that Carr can play next year. Our backcourt will have a ton of depth if that happens. Having both IW and Carr at point is going to be awesome. Plus Pree, Kalscheur, and Bandoo at the 2 assuming we get him. No true reserve 3 though which is confusing why we didn’t even target 1 with our 3 scholarsips this spring cause that will hurt our rebounding/defense for those minutes and especially if Amir gets hurt. If Carr can’t play though it is going to be TOUGH if IW gets hurt also.

It probably goes without saying, but we need Isaiah Washington to be good before worry about who plays reserve PG minutes or what happens if/when and an injury or foul trouble occurs. If the biggest issue with the team next year is backup PG play, Pitino will make the tournament and save his job.

I think we will get Bandoo tmr and I think he will be good but that makes this that much more important that Carr can play next year. Our backcourt will have a ton of depth if that happens. Having both IW and Carr at point is going to be awesome. Plus Pree, Kalscheur, and Bandoo at the 2 assuming we get him. No true reserve 3 though which is confusing why we didn’t even target 1 with our 3 scholarsips this spring cause that will hurt our rebounding/defense for those minutes and especially if Amir gets hurt. If Carr can’t play though it is going to be TOUGH if IW gets hurt also.

Hurt should be fine as the backup at 3, he was really starting to contribute last year, confidence was way up.

I think Dupree could play some backup three and I expect Hurt to improve a bit more, so maybe not ideal backups, but not bad. We would have the best overall team depth since I can remember. Are we just dreaming that this could happen, or is this rule change really on the front burner to be decided this year at the NCAA? Would be nice to get some good “insider info”.

Hurt should be fine as the backup at 3, he was really starting to contribute last year, confidence was way up.

+1

Even if Hurt never becomes a big scorer, he is more than capable of being a solid backup.

Top Bottom