ESPN: Former Duke star Wendell Carter's mother likens NCAA's rules to slavery

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

In an emotional address on Monday at a meeting of the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics, Kylia Carter, mother of former Duke basketball star Wendell Carter, compared the current system of NCAA basketball to slavery and a prison system.

"When you remove all the bling and the bells and the sneakers and all that," she said, "you've paid for a child to come to your school to do what you wanted them to do for you, for free, and you made a lot of money when he did that, and you've got all these rules in place that say he cannot share in any of that. The only other time when labor does not get paid but yet someone else gets profits and the labor is black and the profit is white, is in slavery.

"To be honest with you," she said, "it's nauseating."

With her voice cracking at times, Carter humanized an otherwise agenda-filled morning that focused on reactions to the Rice Commission's recent report and the troubles that have plagued college basketball for decades, forcing the push for real reform following a highly publicized FBI investigation this past fall.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...dell-carter-mother-likens-ncaa-system-slavery

Go Gophers!!

JFC. Get real. One could write a book covering everything that's wrong with her statement. It's even worse coming from someone whose ancestors were likely slaves. If they could, they'd reach out from beyond the grave and slap her silly for being such an idiot.

Seems to me that there are a number of professional basketball leagues a young person could choose. No one forced the young person to take a full-ride scholarship at Duke University.
People need to start taking ownership for their choices instead of claiming to be a victim. Mr Carter had options, just like me. Unlike me, Mr Carter didn't need to work a 30+ hour job to pay tuition and board, plus take 14-17 credit hours to get my degree.
I blame no one for what life gave me and what I decided to do with it. D@mn, does Ms Carter think everyone else has been handed a silver spoon, cause that myth needs to be corrected!

The little-known "College Basket Ball Clause" to the 13th Amendment made all slaves free, unless they're on a D1 hoops scholarship, in which case they remain chattel to their white masters. Fortunately for Wendell, his period of enslavement was just 3 months before a daring escape to the NBA via the Underground Railroad.

I haven't always felt this way but I'm now looking forward to the day when the one-and-done players no longer go to college. Then all these "slaves" can go directly to the NBA and either succeed or flame out. College basketball would be better if it was played by individuals that wanted to be there. Will the quality of play decline? Perhaps. Will it solve all of college basketball's problems? Obviously not. But this nonsense from the mother of an individual about to make millions of dollars that had to adhere to a rule instituted by the NBA to begin with is what is "nauseating".

I haven't always felt this way but I'm now looking forward to the day when the one-and-done players no longer go to college. Then all these "slaves" can go directly to the NBA and either succeed or flame out. College basketball would be better if it was played by individuals that wanted to be there. Will the quality of play decline? Perhaps. Will it solve all of college basketball's problems? Obviously not. But this nonsense from the mother of an individual about to make millions of dollars that had to adhere to a rule instituted by the NBA to begin with is what is "nauseating".

Perfectly stated.

It is time for the one-and-done to era to end.

Lets get rid of scholarships and then see what tune they'd be singing.

Seems to me that there are a number of professional basketball leagues a young person could choose. No one forced the young person to take a full-ride scholarship at Duke University.
People need to start taking ownership for their choices instead of claiming to be a victim. Mr Carter had options, just like me. Unlike me, Mr Carter didn't need to work a 30+ hour job to pay tuition and board, plus take 14-17 credit hours to get my degree.
I blame no one for what life gave me and what I decided to do with it. D@mn, does Ms Carter think everyone else has been handed a silver spoon, cause that myth needs to be corrected!

Thank you and hats off to you for the road you took. As a minority and a athlete on scholarship i was extremely grateful for everything it gave me and how easy that made my life. Wonder why so many of them have press conferences of of boundless joy announcing where they will go to school ! Let us take away all athletic scholarships, have one central authority clearing only those athletes for academic scholarships above 3.25, no more fake high schools and find out who really wants to go to college. It gave me everything and if they start paying players i am done supporting the four schools i now support. Would much rather target true students that are grateful for the opportunity. This all goes back so many of these kids being told from a young age how great they are and parents who think they are owed something. As a great , great grandson of slaves her remarks sound ignorant.

+1. And I don't see "quality of play" declining. The D-II final four/championship games this year were as well played as any games I saw all year. The fact that the players were a couple inches shorter on average or a couple tenths of a second slower did not diminish the quality of play between two well-coached teams.

It sure felt like he was signing up for slavery when he committed to Duke too.

It sure felt like he was signing up for slavery when he committed to Duke too.

That was a cozy "slave" camp he signed u for. One of the few places in the world where you can voluntarily signed up as a "slave". That makes me nauseated too.

If it is slavery to play D1 basketball, well, I wish I was a slave.

I’m waiting for Cruze to post on this thread so he can tell us all that the current system is slavery.

I’m waiting for Cruze to post on this thread so he can tell us all that the current system is slavery.

He's busy scouring the forums for something regarding "sexual deviancy"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. College baseball does it right. Sign after HS or do three years in college.

Oh yes, it is slavery. As I remember all the former slaves who went on to earn millions of dollars playing a game while getting a college education for free.

Has her clarification statement, professionally written by her lawyer or advisor, come out yet? Should be any time now.

Oh yes, it is slavery. As I remember all the former slaves who went on to earn millions of dollars playing a game while getting a college education for free.

...and free of study!

per ESPN:

In an emotional address on Monday at a meeting of the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics, Kylia Carter, mother of former Duke basketball star Wendell Carter, compared the current system of NCAA basketball to slavery and a prison system.

"When you remove all the bling and the bells and the sneakers and all that," she said, "you've paid for a child to come to your school to do what you wanted them to do for you, for free, and you made a lot of money when he did that, and you've got all these rules in place that say he cannot share in any of that. The only other time when labor does not get paid but yet someone else gets profits and the labor is black and the profit is white, is in slavery.

"To be honest with you," she said, "it's nauseating."

With her voice cracking at times, Carter humanized an otherwise agenda-filled morning that focused on reactions to the Rice Commission's recent report and the troubles that have plagued college basketball for decades, forcing the push for real reform following a highly publicized FBI investigation this past fall.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...dell-carter-mother-likens-ncaa-system-slavery

Go Gophers!!

I liken her take to a moron talking under water.

Top Bottom