Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

https://kstp.com/sports/stillwater-g...phers/5217481/

KSTP Video:

The Stillwater girls basketball team is led by senior guard and future Gopher Sara Scalia. They are ranked No. 3 in the state, with a record of 12-2, 8-0 in the conference.

KSTP Sports caught up with Scalia, younger sister Amber, a 9th grader on the team, and coach Willie Taylor.

Scalia committed to the Gophers in the spring, shortly after Lindsay Whalen took over the program. She's known as a great scorer, having eclipsed the 2,000 point milestone earlier this season.

Stillwater is hoping to make it to the state tournament this year after losing in the section semi-finals last year

I should note that while dated 1-22-10 this interview took place sometime after the Michigan/Gopher game in Ann Arbor.

Haven't seen her play. But it's nice to know that she is a track athlete and she can run the court.

“Ummmmmmmm....”

Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    “Ummmmmmmm....”
    LOL for every answer. Very Whalenesque.

Quote Originally Posted by Waffle View Post
    LOL for every answer. Very Whalenesque.
    And her sister in 9th grade didn’t do it once. ��

Blog Entries

It will be awesome if she can start some games her Freshman season.

"...teams are really playing tight on me, and I obviously have to take hard shots. I practice that a lot..."

I hope that she can be a game changing Guard addition in her Freshman year. One additional scoring threat who will be double teamed will mean someone else will be open and help stretch the opponents' defenses. Having Staples mature as a shooter who can play defense plus Scalia may spring the Gophers scoring threat wide open.

We can't forget that the Gophers also will have Freshmen 5' 6" Guard Jasmine Powell, 6' 3" Post Klarke Sconiers, 6' 3" Post Grace Cumming, and 5' 10" Small Forward/Wing Justice Ross.

More importantly, this season the Gophers bench has 11 dressed players minus Hubbard. It is more like in some games there are only 9 players dressed in rotation. It is pretty obvious that opponents took full advantage of the Gophers short bench.

Having 13 players with a possibility for two Grad Transfers (who will bring poise and experience) will be a huge lift. With 15 players, Whalen's team defense can really work magic when they can substitute more frequently. It takes a lot more energy to play tenacious defense.
    Last edited by hungan1; 01-22-2019 at 08:56 PM.
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

Blog Entries

Stillwater's Sara Scalia Looks Forward To Gopher Future
    https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/video...gopher-future/
    Last edited by hungan1; 01-22-2019 at 09:39 PM.
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

Hungan, you've been saying all year that the Gophers are playing with a short bench. I disagree. The Gophers bench has been as long as that of most teams. Unfortunately, the bench just hasn't been very good. To think that Whalen will work 13 to 15 players into the rotation next year...I really doubt it. Most coaches go with 8 or 9 , except for blowout games. And, on another note, what have you seen from Staples this year that indicates she'll be a major contributor next year? Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by tripledouble View Post
    Hungan, you've been saying all year that the Gophers are playing with a short bench. I disagree. The Gophers bench has been as long as that of most teams. Unfortunately, the bench just hasn't been very good. To think that Whalen will work 13 to 15 players into the rotation next year...I really doubt it. Most coaches go with 8 or 9 , except for blowout games. And, on another note, what have you seen from Staples this year that indicates she'll be a major contributor next year? Am I missing something?
    The frontcourt depth is non-existent with just Kaposi right now. Tomancova getting healthy will help with that.
    Follow me on twitter: @skiumahgopher

Next year barring injuries or transfers gopher could and should go 9-10 deep. it could be by my estimate.

PG: Brunson/Powell (Freshman)
    SG: Hubbard
    SF: Pitts/Scalia (Freshman)
    PF: Taiye
    C: Tomancova/Sconiers (Freshman)

I think Staples and Byrne have the ability to develop into players where they could back up Hubbard (who I expect to take Bell's starting spot next year) or Byrne with Taiye. I think Center and Point guard is open right now. Depending out ready incoming freshman are, I see both positions being started by freshman. Incoming freshman Ross could be really raw and maybe a year out from contributing. I also am not sure what Cumming can do as a freshman.

Quote Originally Posted by tripledouble View Post
    Last edited by bball_craz_26; 01-23-2019 at 12:52 PM. Reason: name update

Brunson/Powell
    Hubbard/Scalia
    Pitts/Staples/Ross
    TBello/KBello/Byrne
    Tomancova/Sconiers/Cumming

Who did I leave out?
    It’s hard to say Tomancova is starter quality. The post could go a lot of ways.
    Both Bellos could be starting. Sconiers could be starting. The only thing I’m fairly certain is Byrne won’t be starting, unless she does some major work in the off season.

I could see K-Bello being the starting Center with her sister at PF. Im thinking Scalia backs up Pitts/Hubbard if Staples doesn't take a step forward and Ross is raw and a project the first year. I could see cummings also a backup behind taiye at PF since she is a shooting/face up forward. If I had wage a guess now based on what we have seen from Byrne and Tomancova is that Sconiers will be the starting Center at least at the start of the year. I see Brunson as the starting PG to start the year BUT if Powell can consistently hit the 3 and not be too wild with turnovers I could see her taking it over by the time conference season starts. the one thing for sure next year will/should have is a lot more options from behind the 3-point line. Powell, Hubbard, Pitts, Scalia and possibly Staples and Bryne and Cumming being bigs with that option.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    Brunson/Powell
    Hubbard/Scalia
    Pitts/Staples/Ross
    TBello/KBello/Byrne
    Tomancova/Sconiers/Cumming

Who did I leave out?
    It’s hard to say Tomancova is starter quality. The post could go a lot of ways.
    Both Bellos could be starting. Sconiers could be starting. The only thing I’m fairly certain is Byrne won’t be starting, unless she does some major work in the off season.

I have seen Sara play several times and I really like her game. Her game is shooting particularly 3 point shooting but she handles the ball well, is quick and fast up and down the floor, has good court vision, is good defensively because she her hands on a lot of basketballs, and doesn’t really over play her hand so-to-speak. Lindsay doesn’t really like to play freshmen but I could see Sara getting in the rotation because of her shooting ability.

Staff is still looking to add another player or 2 for this year, most likely transfer or a juco. But id be pretty surprised if Scalia doesnt crack the rotation because she'll immediately be the best shooter on the team. I do question her defense because Stillwater runs some funky zones and doesnt play alot of man to man.