Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sara Scalia is first to commit

Sara Scalia of Stillwater & North Tartan committed tonight to the Gophers. The 2019 point guard has great handles and outstanding range. UM also offered 2021 forward Kendall Coley of St Louis Park and Minnesota Suns. They are also pursuing 6'3 center Tamia Ugass of Roseville and 5'10 guard Adalia McKenzie of Park Center, both 2021s from Minnesota Stars.

Default Recruits

Quote Originally Posted by GMac39 View Post
    Sara Scalia of Stillwater & North Tartan committed tonight to the Gophers. The 2019 point guard has great handles and outstanding range. UM also offered 2021 forward Kendall Coley of St Louis Park and Minnesota Suns. They are also pursuing 6'3 center Tamia Ugass of Roseville and 5'10 guard Adalia McKenzie of Park Center, both 2021s from Minnesota Stars.
    This is a good get for Lindsay!!

Awesome start! May the program roll to success!

Blog Entries

You can win with MN kids on the team baby.
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

http://www.startribune.com/whalen-la...lia/481881501/

Scalia, a 5-foot-10 guard, averaged 26.5 points, 5.0 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 3.8 steals this season for the 17-11 Ponies. Her high scoring game was 39 points against Forest Lake. She plays AAU basketball for North Tartan.

Whalen watched all five of Scalia's games with North Tartan at the Boo Williams tournament in Virginia last month. Scalia visited Minnesota's campus and met with Whalen and U assistants Kelly Roysland and Carly Thibault-DuDonis last week.

Ms. Scalia may wind up being a 2 with her size but it would be great to have 2 strong handlers on the court at the same time and that range is never a bad thing.

Am I correct in thinking that Whalen has already signed one more Minnesota high school players than Stollings did in her four years here? (Excluding, of course, some of the transfers who came back. i.e.--Bell, Fernstrom, Tinjum.) In fairness to Stollings, the Minnesota high school talent pool was a bit lacking during those years, but that will be changing with the upcoming classes. It's a great time to have a new coach who will make recruiting Minnesota talent one of her priority. When I read that Stollings had gone to see Bueckers play once while Geno and Muffit had visited multiple times, I was baffled. Maybe she viewed Bueckers as ungettable, or she figured she could chat with her at the Gopher games, but how difficult could it be to get in her car and watch Bueckers play? I'll guarantee that this will not happen with Whalen. Scalia's commitment is a good start for Whalen and her staff. Hopefully, there will be more quality players signing soon. I hope we can reach a level in which Minnesota players will want to commit early with the idea that roster spots may not be available if they wait too long. Great to have Scalia as the first commit.

Big thumbs up!

Quote Originally Posted by tripledouble View Post
    Am I correct in thinking that Whalen has already signed one more Minnesota high school players than Stollings did in her four years here? (Excluding, of course, some of the transfers who came back. i.e.--Bell, Fernstrom, Tinjum.) In fairness to Stollings, the Minnesota high school talent pool was a bit lacking during those years, but that will be changing with the upcoming classes. It's a great time to have a new coach who will make recruiting Minnesota talent one of her priority. When I read that Stollings had gone to see Bueckers play once while Geno and Muffit had visited multiple times, I was baffled. Maybe she viewed Bueckers as ungettable, or she figured she could chat with her at the Gopher games, but how difficult could it be to get in her car and watch Bueckers play? I'll guarantee that this will not happen with Whalen. Scalia's commitment is a good start for Whalen and her staff. Hopefully, there will be more quality players signing soon. I hope we can reach a level in which Minnesota players will want to commit early with the idea that roster spots may not be available if they wait too long. Great to have Scalia as the first commit.
    It's probably not accurate to say that Stollings only saw Bueckers play once. In fairness, the assistants came to watch her regularly, particularly Tamisha Augustin, but she was only here a year. I recall seeing Fred Schmiel around before he left for South Carolina, which was a huge loss. Marty McGillan was at a workout that Geno attended last fall. Oregon was also there and Kentucky. Gail was around quite often, too. I'm guessing they got the vibe from Paige early on that she wasn't particularly interested but I don't know that to be fact.

The two latest offers over the weekend are solid. Clearly they are working very hard on move the needle quickly and Scalia's commitment has the attention of other elite players in Minnesota.

I couldn’t find Scalia in the Top 60 of ESPN rankings. What are her rankings?

The ESPN rankings are a function of geography and politics. Prep Girls Hoops has her #3 in Minnesota behind Theisen and Oberg. Chuck Thompson has her at #1.

http://www.fox9.com/sports/stillwate...opher-recruits

“Now that she’s my coach, it’s amazing,” Scalia said, becoming the first player to commit to the new Gophers women’s basketball coach.

Sara earned other offers from schools around the Midwest, but it was almost impossible to say no to the Gophers when Whalen approached.

“When Lindsay became the coach, I visited and it was the right fit,” Scalia said. “I just think it’s so amazing that she’s been so successful as a basketball player, and I think she will be as a coach, too.”

Being around Whalen on the basketball court is nothing new for Scalia. She and her family have been attending Lynx games as season ticket holders for the last few years.

It has been an experience watching Whalen up close, but learning from an idol will be a dream come true for Sara.

“I have always looked up to her playing because we play the same position, and I think she’s a great role model,” Scalia says of Whalen. “I think she can make me into a really great player and teach me a lot.”

Pioneer Press: Lindsay Whalen’s first Gophers recruit said the coach ‘had a huge impact’ on her decision

It has always been Sara Scalia’s dream to play for the University of Minnesota. Still, the Stillwater guard — who was drawn to the chance to play close to home — was considering a number of schools in the Midwest.

Wisconsin, Green Bay, Marquette and Drake were all in the mix for the 2019 sharpshooter.

But then Lindsay Whalen took the Gophers’ head coaching job in April, which Scalia said had “a huge impact” on her recruitment. And after watching Scalia play in an AAU tournament in Virginia, the local legend told Scalia she liked her game.

And that sealed the deal.

“When Lindsay came, and she liked the way I played, I just knew it was the best fit for me,” said Scalia, who became Whalen’s first Gophers recruit when she committed to Minnesota on Sunday.

Whalen had Scalia in for a visit last Wednesday. The 5-foot-10 guard said she “didn’t really know what it was going to be like,” but then she had the chance to sit down and talk with Whalen, and said the conversation “was really just straightforward, calm and it was good.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/05/0...-her-decision/

Go Gophers!!

http://kstp.com/sports/sara-scalia-l...ball-/4898146/

More Sara; this time on KSTP.

Sara Scalia is the first recruit to commit to play for the Gophers new women's basketball coach Lindsay Whalen. Scalia is a sharp shooting guard for Stillwater High School, who averaged 26 points, 5 rebounds and 3 assists in her junior season.