Pitino appears close to hiring last Gophers assistant, Wichita State's top recruiter

But it is a job in sports - you can't pretend that it isn't. Assistant at Wichita St. is a better-to-much-better job than assistant at Minnesota, not to mention holding much greater job security. This is putting aside the fact that he was born and raised just outside of Wichita and has spent (I believe) his entire life living there.

In the here and now- Wichita State is a better program with a more proven head coach. In terms of potential and notoriety- Minnesota is the better opportunity.

Big Ten versus AAC (most people would have to look up what the AAC is and who is in it.
University of Minnesota versus Wichita State- no doubt U of M is the better University
Minneapolis versus Wichita- need I say more?
Facilities to sell to athletes- Minny now is state of the art
Budgets- U of M

Wichita State is only in recent years been a good basketball program around 2008 when they hired Gregg Marshall. Wichita is a a dump honestly. The move from Wichita state to the U is a step up maybe only slightly. I'm guessing he will be make more money in a the big 10.

So, if I'm reading this right - the new Gopher coach spent 15 years in a HS program, and has 3 years experience at the D1 level - at a good school, but not a school in a power conference.

Even if you think the Gopher program is not a powerhouse, it's still in a power conference. So, one could argue that this is a step up for the new coach.

Obviously, a guy can have all kinds of reasons for making a move.

we won't have a handle on this guy until we've seen him go through a couple of recruiting cycles at least. Other than recruiting, I certainly hope he's able to add something in terms of coaching, player development, game strategy, etc.

Some further comments from the Wichita St board:

"I suspect this has more to do with a better opportunity for Kyle than anything. It's no secret that WSU ACs don't get paid big bucks. That was clear when Heiar left. Kyle was what, third chair on the bench? With the addition of Donnie Jones, and I think many of us are still not sure of his real impact on the program yet, and the tenure of Isaac Brown, it might be that he wasn't going to step up to get the coveted AHC position that probably comes with a significant pay raise. I wouldn't be surpised to learn that Kyle doubles his pay by taking the job in Minnesota, if not within the first day, certainly within a couple of years. Congratulations to Coach Linstead and best of luck to him. I agree with others, he was a mad recruiter and had a knack for finding some upright student athletes to boot."

"Lindsted was the lead on 80% of the recruits since he came in. Literally one of the best recruiters in the country. This is a huge loss for Wichita. One of the best guys and most respected coaches in the game. Life will move on without him. But this is a big loss. Don't drink the Kool aid."

"Kyle might have been a good recruiter and might have had the Sunrise connection, but it's not like the Shox were getting every good player coming out of Sunrise. The truth is the top notch kids were always going elsewhere. I think this is a matter of Marshall realizing he needs a top notch X's and O's assistant. We already have several great recruiters. What we lacked was someone other than maybe Donnie who could put together a top notch scout on our opponents. It was obvious in watching several games. I trust in Marshall."

"From my experience, Sunrise staff and other supporters who house basketball players are a close community who know each other well and consider what they do (building men through basketball) a "mission" as a Christian. That's why most of SCA players have such good values and are good kids. Sunrise Christian Academy and it's special community, has been an important part of our recruiting strategy. I would hope that this would continue with someone in charge of relationship building in the future. Anyone who doesn't understand how important this is to WSU is just not serious. Linsted and his family ARE Sunrise Christian Academy. We will continue relationships and build up new ones (I would predict), but whoever, it is won't have the same status as KL did when walking the halls."

"When Linsted was hired I shook my head in disbelief. Why on earth would we disturb the beautiful deal we had going on at Sunrise. How does it benefit us that we are moving our primary contact from our minor-league affiliate a couple miles up the road where he no longer has day to day influence over our recruits. And who's going to be his replacement. Will it affect our relationship/influence at the academy. And how on earth is KL qualified to join a high-major D1 program. Then it hit me after reading an article written about the hiring. Gregg Marshall merely used his position and power to give a good guy a break making his dreams come true. Now Kyle finds himself with experience and value and will be able to further his career by working under another head coach."

"I was expecting and anticipating some turnover on the bench. Linsted seemed to have been hired for the international pipeline he was getting at Sunrise. That didn't happen, with the exception of Midtgaard. The rest of the recruits he was involved with seemed to be because they were assigned to him. He didn't seem to have anything that looked like a recruiting territory or great connections with HS or AAU coaches. I am neither surprised nor disappointed by this move. Linsted needed experience at the D1 level and Marshall gave that to him. He will probably be replaced with someone with similar D1 experience to what Linsted is leaving with."

It'll be interesting to see if the Gophers start offering some WSU recruits much like Xavier did when Ben moved

It'll be interesting to see if the Gophers start offering some WSU recruits much like Xavier did when Ben moved

Or maybe some of the recruits that are a little better rated than the ones he was able to sign at WSU. They have been great at developing under rated kids that fit their system but have not had an easy time with top 150 kids . I think only 3 in the last 5 years. That's because Wichita State despite having a great coach is still ...Wichita State.

Wonder if all these guys on here who were butt hurt of Ben Jonson and Karmi have settled down now. I would take these new guys 10/10 times over previous staff. They did nothing in the the previous years.

Or maybe some of the recruits that are a little better rated than the ones he was able to sign at WSU. They have been great at developing under rated kids that fit their system but have not had an easy time with top 150 kids . I think only 3 in the last 5 years. That's because Wichita State despite having a great coach is still ...Wichita State.

Agreed. Not that easy to recruit to WSU, even with their recent history. I think its proven that Marshall is a helluva coach. Maybe this guy will even be a better recruiter because he has a power 6 school to recruit to

Some further comments from the Wichita St board:

"I suspect this has more to do with a better opportunity for Kyle than anything. It's no secret that WSU ACs don't get paid big bucks. That was clear when Heiar left. Kyle was what, third chair on the bench? With the addition of Donnie Jones, and I think many of us are still not sure of his real impact on the program yet, and the tenure of Isaac Brown, it might be that he wasn't going to step up to get the coveted AHC position that probably comes with a significant pay raise. I wouldn't be surpised to learn that Kyle doubles his pay by taking the job in Minnesota, if not within the first day, certainly within a couple of years. Congratulations to Coach Linstead and best of luck to him. I agree with others, he was a mad recruiter and had a knack for finding some upright student athletes to boot."

"Lindsted was the lead on 80% of the recruits since he came in. Literally one of the best recruiters in the country. This is a huge loss for Wichita. One of the best guys and most respected coaches in the game. Life will move on without him. But this is a big loss. Don't drink the Kool aid."

"Kyle might have been a good recruiter and might have had the Sunrise connection, but it's not like the Shox were getting every good player coming out of Sunrise. The truth is the top notch kids were always going elsewhere. I think this is a matter of Marshall realizing he needs a top notch X's and O's assistant. We already have several great recruiters. What we lacked was someone other than maybe Donnie who could put together a top notch scout on our opponents. It was obvious in watching several games. I trust in Marshall."

"From my experience, Sunrise staff and other supporters who house basketball players are a close community who know each other well and consider what they do (building men through basketball) a "mission" as a Christian. That's why most of SCA players have such good values and are good kids. Sunrise Christian Academy and it's special community, has been an important part of our recruiting strategy. I would hope that this would continue with someone in charge of relationship building in the future. Anyone who doesn't understand how important this is to WSU is just not serious. Linsted and his family ARE Sunrise Christian Academy. We will continue relationships and build up new ones (I would predict), but whoever, it is won't have the same status as KL did when walking the halls."

"When Linsted was hired I shook my head in disbelief. Why on earth would we disturb the beautiful deal we had going on at Sunrise. How does it benefit us that we are moving our primary contact from our minor-league affiliate a couple miles up the road where he no longer has day to day influence over our recruits. And who's going to be his replacement. Will it affect our relationship/influence at the academy. And how on earth is KL qualified to join a high-major D1 program. Then it hit me after reading an article written about the hiring. Gregg Marshall merely used his position and power to give a good guy a break making his dreams come true. Now Kyle finds himself with experience and value and will be able to further his career by working under another head coach."

"I was expecting and anticipating some turnover on the bench. Linsted seemed to have been hired for the international pipeline he was getting at Sunrise. That didn't happen, with the exception of Midtgaard. The rest of the recruits he was involved with seemed to be because they were assigned to him. He didn't seem to have anything that looked like a recruiting territory or great connections with HS or AAU coaches. I am neither surprised nor disappointed by this move. Linsted needed experience at the D1 level and Marshall gave that to him. He will probably be replaced with someone with similar D1 experience to what Linsted is leaving with."

Interesting thoughts, thanks for looking this up.

But it is a job in sports - you can't pretend that it isn't. Assistant at Wichita St. is a better-to-much-better job than assistant at Minnesota, not to mention holding much greater job security. This is putting aside the fact that he was born and raised just outside of Wichita and has spent (I believe) his entire life living there.
The definition of "better job" is personal. You have no idea the factors at play. If I had kids and was confident in my ability to find work given a worst case scenario (Pitino gets fired), I'd roll the dice and uproot for Minneapolis over Wichita all day long.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The definition of "better job" is personal. You have no idea the factors at play. If I had kids and was confident in my ability to find work given a worst case scenario (Pitino gets fired), I'd roll the dice and uproot for Minneapolis over Wichita all day long.

All of the talk about location is silly. Minneapolis is a great city and one of the nicest in the country by most accounts, and yet our football/basketball programs have been terrible-to-mediocre for the last several decades. Most everyone would agree that Minneapolis is "better/nicer" (whatever adjective one wants to use) than Lawrence, KS, or Lexington, KY, or Raleigh, NC - and yet 99.9% of basketball coaches would jump at the chance to go to those locations rather than Minneapolis if given the opportunity. And, again, for at least the 3rd time - he's from the Wichita area. I'm quite certain that he views Wichita vs. Minneapolis differently than you do.

You don't know how he views anything, don't act like you do. There are a lot of factors that could make one opportunity better than another to a certain individual; money, quality of life, role/responsibilities, leadership, family, kids, long term career goals, spouses career, hobbies outside of work, etc.

Bottom line is you cant say he views Minnesota as a step down, or that his decision to come here seems odd. None of us can say either way.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All of the talk about location is silly. Minneapolis is a great city and one of the nicest in the country by most accounts, and yet our football/basketball programs have been terrible-to-mediocre for the last several decades. Most everyone would agree that Minneapolis is "better/nicer" (whatever adjective one wants to use) than Lawrence, KS, or Lexington, KY, or Raleigh, NC - and yet 99.9% of basketball coaches would jump at the chance to go to those locations rather than Minneapolis if given the opportunity. And, again, for at least the 3rd time - he's from the Wichita area. I'm quite certain that he views Wichita vs. Minneapolis differently than you do.

Exactly. Minneapolis is a really nice area. Great place to raise kids but there is zero proof that great coaches and great players think of this as a top destination as evidenced by 50 years of not attracting great coaches. He could be picking it for several reasons and it may be that Marshall wants a better coach on his staff. Damn, just a few months ago people thought Ben was the best thing since sliced bread and now he is inferior to the new guy ! Maybe a better fit for all involved.

Wichita St. is a small fish in a small pond? Are you high? First of all, Wichita St. is a vastly superior basketball program to Minnesota - it isn't close. Second, they have dedicated more resources to their basketball program than has Minnesota - Gregg Marshall is among the top 15 highest-paid basketball coaches in the country. Thirdly, Wichita St. moved to the American Athletic Conference prior to last season. They had 3 bids compared to the Big Ten's 4 - and that was with schools like UConn and Memphis suffering down periods. If and when those schools get righted, the AAC will be (at worst) marginally inferior to the Big Ten. Finally, Gregg Marshall is leaps and bounds ahead of Richard Pitino in terms of respect among other coaches; there is nothing that Richard Pitino could do for anyone that Gregg Marshall couldn't do, and do much better.

Nothing in your post makes any sense.

WS is his first college coaching job. He needs to broaden his experience and a B1G assistant job is much more coveted than you many think. Also, contrary to the beliefs of a few of the “GH Gopher Fans”, Pitino’s job is not in jeopardy. Minnesota has the potential to be the next MSU under Pitino and coaches will be scrambling to be an assistant to Pitino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WS is his first college coaching job. He needs to broaden his experience and a B1G assistant job is much more coveted than you many think. Also, contrary to the beliefs of a few of the “GH Gopher Fans”, Pitino’s job is not in jeopardy. Minnesota has the potential to be the next MSU under Pitino and coaches will be scrambling to be an assistant to Pitino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fans are fickle- without all the crazy injuries and the Lynch suspension- we'd have two straight NCAAs, a strong team coming up and a lot of people would be saying what you just said. The rosters in years to come are looking good and the local talent pool is very good for a couple years ahead.

Coaching staff....

Fans are fickle- without all the crazy injuries and the Lynch suspension- we'd have two straight NCAAs, a strong team coming up and a lot of people would be saying what you just said. The rosters in years to come are looking good and the local talent pool is very good for a couple years ahead.

filled out...let's gooooooo!
i

Top Bottom