Gophers land JUCO defensive tackles Chris Daniels and Keonte Schad

So asking a question about PJ not going the JC route when PJ himself said he’s not going to do that, he’s going to do it the right way....means get out?

Wow. Just wow. What kind of world do we live in when taking a man at his word is looked down upon?

He’s free to change his mind at any point, and he obviously had. Does this now mean we’re doing it the wrong way? Just curious, since I obviously don’t get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a football coach talking about recruiting JUCOs or not.

The angst over what he says and does is way overboard and taken way too seriously.

In response to recruiting Jucos, he repeatedly said he didn’t want to. Wanted to do things the right way. Based on the question asked, and the answer given he certainly gave me the impression that he felt the JUCO route was not the right way to go about it.

Now that he’s been here a while I guess I’m not surprised at the apparent differences as PJ seems to have his own version of the English dictionary, facts, and often appears to stick to a storyline he wants to tell regardless of the question asked, but it’s still, to me, as others have pointed out, inconsistent with the “culture” he’s instilling.

I still don't understand the problem. Unless I missed something, he never said he would never recruit jucos. Just that he prefers not to recruit a lot of them which is pretty similar to most programs. He hasn't, I don't see the problem.

I still don't understand the problem. Unless I missed something, he never said he would never recruit jucos. Just that he prefers not to recruit a lot of them which is pretty similar to most programs. He hasn't, I don't see the problem.

Look man you said you don't like tacos this one time .... IF I EVER SEE YOU EAT A TACO FOR ANY REASON I'M GOING TO BE ALL OVER YOU!!! EVERYTHING IS ABSOLUTE!!!

Its just a bunch of people nitpicking and bitching cause they hate their mother and need to vent somewhere else.

So asking a question about PJ not going the JC route when PJ himself said he’s not going to do that, he’s going to do it the right way....means get out?

Wow. Just wow. What kind of world do we live in when taking a man at his word is looked down upon?

He’s free to change his mind at any point, and he obviously had. Does this now mean we’re doing it the wrong way? Just curious, since I obviously don’t get it.

This has to be a bit, right? You're trying to get a few laughs from your perch on the barstool?

Sometimes circumstances call for you to adjust your strategy. Sounds like he is willing to make changes to his philosophies if he thinks it helps the team. Is that a bad thing?

As far as this "going back on his word" talk...did he ever say that he promised not to recruit jucos? That he would never ever do it? If not, then I don't really understand how this is going back on his word.

I think it's actually a good sign that PJ is backing off a bit from some of his firm stances he stated when he first got hired. While some people see that as a sign of weakness, I see it as a sign that he is willing to adapt and change. I think he is realizing things he will need to do in order to be successful and they are different than what he originally thought.

Of course, being as preachy and bombastic as he is opens himself up to criticism because people will remember what he said.

I think Jerry Kill and his aw shucks routine was the perfect way to handle things with this market's media and fans.

This has to be a bit, right? You're trying to get a few laughs from your perch on the barstool?

Not a bit at all. Just thought Scools telling Ozzie and Ray to not be a fan because he heard and believed something PJ Fleck said seems a bit over the top. That is all.

The relevant quote to the topic of the post: So asking a question about PJ not going the JC route when PJ himself said he’s not going to do that, he’s going to do it the right way....means get out?

On top of that we have two more DTs. One of whom appears to be a good get and worth the "risk".

It's a football coach talking about recruiting JUCOs or not.

The angst over what he says and does is way overboard and taken way too seriously.

I think it's not so much the practice of using JUCOs to fill in needs- I never saw the problem with it- but it's the change of philosophy many posters seem to have had. I seem to remember many folks who don't seem to have an issue with chasing JUCOs at this juncture (and I don't as well) having been vocal critics of prior regime(s) having used JUCOs to fill holes.

I think it's not so much the practice of using JUCOs to fill in needs- I never saw the problem with it- but it's the change of philosophy many posters seem to have had. I seem to remember many folks who don't seem to have an issue with chasing JUCOs at this juncture (and I don't as well) having been vocal critics of prior regime(s) having used JUCOs to fill holes.

If posters changed their philosophy so what. Too many on here take support of Fleck and what he is doing with the program as denigrating the prior regime. Not one poster mentioned any prior regime in this thread until one of the most insecure posters with regard to the previous regime chimed in.

I think it's actually a good sign that PJ is backing off a bit from some of his firm stances he stated when he first got hired. While some people see that as a sign of weakness, I see it as a sign that he is willing to adapt and change. I think he is realizing things he will need to do in order to be successful and they are different than what he originally thought.

Of course, being as preachy and bombastic as he is opens himself up to criticism because people will remember what he said.

I think Jerry Kill and his aw shucks routine was the perfect way to handle things with this market's media and fans.

That's a good take on all points. Personally I'd rather have a coach with personality than not one. I enjoyed PJF show on ESPN. I still quote Brew when we tailgate..."Are you hungry...or starvin'!!!" It's fine, it's not worth getting worked up over. By the same means if he goes overboard and people call him out it doesn't mean you don't like him or hate the team. I mean some of you have kids right? When they screw up I hope you called them out on it, it's ok and you still care about them. The way people get so life and death over calling him out or defending him is silly. You need more stress in your life if that's the case, I don't have time to focus on that.

Now back to the original topic...how can't you love the potential of Daniels but his lack of offers is concerning to me but as one astute poster stated perhaps because it's early in the juco recuiting cycle. Other kid has size...same issue on number of offers, same potential reason.

Ok carry on with pissing match, i will get the popcorn!

He said he preferred not to use JUCO talent but got here and found more serious gaps in talent than expected so he had to go the JUCO route to fill holes. Notice the places he’s landing JUCOs is where we have biggest depth gaps like DL, OL and QB. If he doesn’t win fast enough he’ll get criticized and if he adapts to fill gaps he’s criticized. The best long game is to build talent through HS recruits.

With expectations high for every coaching hire we've had for as long as I followed Gopher Football, the head coach is going to be criticized for every move he's made.

You have to have thick skin and focus on doing the right things.

He has to stabilize the balance of the classes and weigh in what he needs to start winning now. That is par for the course and I think he realizes that.

With expectations high for every coaching hire we've had for as long as I followed Gopher Football, the head coach is going to be criticized for every move he's made.

You have to have thick skin and focus on doing the right things.

He has to stabilize the balance of the classes and weigh in what he needs to start winning now. That is par for the course and I think he realizes that.

Agree...just wish he would have done so for the 2018 class. There was plenty of discussion out here about bringing in JuCo linemen in that class based on the lack of depth Fleck continually pointed to going into last season. That's also where the "his not a fan of JuCo commits" got legs, based on his comments when asked for remedying that particular need.

Agree...just wish he would have done so for the 2018 class. There was plenty of discussion out here about bringing in JuCo linemen in that class based on the lack of depth Fleck continually pointed to going into last season. That's also where the "his not a fan of JuCo commits" got legs, based on his comments when asked for remedying that particular need.

Except that he brought in a Juco linemen - Jason Dickson.

Are you guys up in Minnesota still locked inside due to recent blizzard activity and cabin fever is setting in or why is this discussion ongoing. PJ is finding people to help this team out. Does he prefer to go the JUCO route? No. But if he finds a prospect that he really likes (and I believe he has found some good players) then my goodness let the man do his job and quit lingering on one quote that you are looking too deep into.

Are you guys up in Minnesota still locked inside due to recent blizzard activity and cabin fever is setting in or why is this discussion ongoing. PJ is finding people to help this team out. Does he prefer to go the JUCO route? No. But if he finds a prospect that he really likes (and I believe he has found some good players) then my goodness let the man do his job and quit lingering on one quote that you are looking too deep into.
Amen

Except that he brought in a Juco linemen - Jason Dickson.

He also brought in Ben Davis. I believe he was a JuCo (could have been a prep school guy).

I could certainly be wrong, but I don't even really remember him ever openly being that against it. I think he made some casual remark about it (like all coaches do). In my opinion (and my memory could be wrong), a lot of this started with our decision to let Jimmy Terry go - - he was a JuCo lineman signed by the previous regime.

I haven't seen anything in Fleck that makes me think he wouldn't add more JuCos. We've added several players who are not traditional HS to college types.

Ben Davis
Dickson
Williamson
Silver
Daniels
Schad
VV
OJ Smith

I am also often labeled a "Claeys Apologist" - but lets be real. Fleck recruited JuCo offensive lineman, defensive lineman, and a QB. The Kill/Claeys regime's biggest downfall was their inability to develop OL and QB. Additionally, for years (way befor Fleck), many of us were looking at our recruiting classes and saying "where are the DT?".

In this day and age where coaches typically get 3-4 years to show some results, you'd be dumb not to fill holes with JUCOs.

Uh uh. Poachers are off to an early start.

The questions is - does Chris Daniels want to a greater chance play right away, or risk sitting on a bench at a program like Georgia after doing so at Texas?

He and Keonte Schad can be part of a soon to become vaunted Gophers frontline and can write their own tickets as sure starters.

Poaching is the poison pill for any recruiting momentum moving forward. Let's hope that PJ Fleck's sells really good koolaide.

Top Bottom