Gophers land JUCO defensive tackles Chris Daniels and Keonte Schad

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers were busy on Satuday afternoon, adding two JUCO transfer defensive tackles for the 2019 class. Defensive tackle Chris Daniels joins the Gophers after spending time in Texas with the Longhorns. He elected to transfer and drew interest from Minnesota and Missouri. The team also added defensive tackle Keonte Schad of Ellsworth College in Iowa Falls, IA.

Schad measures in at 6-foot-3, 270 pounds and originally played at Madison Memorial High School in Wisc. He projects as more of a three-technique defensive tackle and could even kick out to the edge in a pinch. He has a quick first step and uses his hands very well to shed through blockers. His hands really stand out for a player with his experience level. Schad gets into the backfield and finishes tackles for loss on a consistent basis. He’s the kind of player a coach can move all over the defensive line. According to his bio at Ellsworth, he had 12 tackles for loss last year, including three forced fumbles. The film clips below really illustrate this point.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/4159947/58050ff3f6170926bccc4706' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

As for Daniels, he was a consensus four-star recruit and top-300 player, who never rose up the depth chart at Texas. He shed weight to fit in Tom Herman’s system, but elected to transfer out of the program. The one trait that stands out with Daniels is his length and size at 6-foot-4, 315 pounds. He gets into passing lanes with his length and has the power to shed blocks and make run stops. Daniels probably projects more as a one or zero technique, but his skill-set is intriguing, especially when you see his frame. It will be interesting to see how the coaches develop a player with Daniels' unique traits and physical tools. I would be curious to know how his arms measure because he has above average length. That's one of the things you look for in a defensive tackle and Daniels certainly has it.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/2065514/5721c41e041ddc1b0059f56f' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

This is great news! In a small class you need to focus on the Big Uglies first!

Good luck to both of them and welcome aboard ! It looks like they both should have 3 years of eligibility left if I'm correct ?

Chris was a very highly rated recruit who appears to have gotten caught up in a scheme change. And Keonte had no recruiting rating at all?? He went to a JUCO for a year and ended up getting a Big Ten scholarship?? What's the story with him, anyone know? Is he just a diamond in the rough that blew up in his JUCO season?? I'm intrigued!

P.S. I hope they never ever ever ever ever ever even consider donning this white helmet/anthracite jersey/maroon pants look. Mercy !!

Good luck to both of them and welcome aboard ! It looks like they both should have 3 years of eligibility left if I'm correct ?

I think Daniels will have 2 years of eligibility.

2016 - redshirt at UT
2017 - lost year working his way to juco
2018 - juco
2019 - gophers
2020 - gophers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

per Greder:

The Gophers football program received oral commitments from two defensive linemen in the 2019 recruiting class on Saturday. Chris Daniels and Keonte Schad both made announcements they will go from their respective junior colleges to Minnesota next year.

Daniels, of Euless, Texas, redshirted with Texas in 2016 and will come from Copiah-Lincoln Community College in Wesson, Miss. The 6-foot-2, 335-pound tackle had another offer from Missouri.

“I am bless to say that I am FULLY COMMITTED to The University Of Minnesota,” Daniels tweeted.

Schad, of Madison, Wis., was a freshman at Ellsworth Community College in Iowa Falls, Iowa last fall. The 6-foot-4, 275-pound lineman had other offers from Boise State and Northern Iowa.

“Feeling really elite right now!” Schad tweeted. “Announcing my commitment to The University Of Minnesota”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/05/...junior-college-defensive-linemen-commit-to-u/

Go Gophers!!

Daniels looks like an incredible physical specimen, just look at that picture. The kind of player we want to see getting off the bus.

If they can keep Daniels weight down he could be what we've been missing since Shede left. I remember him being one of the more talked about DLine prospects late in the process in 2016. Huge fan of the way the DLine is headed. Hopefully we can find an athletic end or 2 in this class too.

These two are the first meh recruits for me. Not a whole lot of other offers. Diamonds in the rough? I thought the guys they got earlier this year were pretty impressive (18 class), as was the commit from the DE last week. Guess we will find out. You can't teach size and Daniels has that.

Love the Daniels commit. If Shad can be bounced to the outside he could be a stopper against B1G running attacks. Very good pickups.

Adding Daniels is a no-brainer. Just watch the video and his explosiveness and quickness immediately jump out. A national top 200 player in high school, a position of need, and I believe he will be the only junior DT on the roster next year.

Schad is more of a head scratcher. Not recruited at all out of high school but he was starting to pick up D-1 offers based on 1 year at a community college. He looks undersized to play DT in the Big Ten.

These two are the first meh recruits for me. Not a whole lot of other offers. Diamonds in the rough? I thought the guys they got earlier this year were pretty impressive (18 class), as was the commit from the DE last week. Guess we will find out. You can't teach size and Daniels has that.

Daniels had offers from basically every school in the country 2 years ago coming out of high school. He probably doesn’t have more right now as it’s early in the Juco recruiting cycle for 2019.

I’m pretty surprised there isn’t more excitement over Daniels. Based on his ranking out of high school, he would be the highest ranked d-linemen in internet history and one of the top 5 of all-time.

I’m pretty surprised there isn’t more excitement over Daniels. Based on his ranking out of high school, he would be the highest ranked d-linemen in internet history and one of the top 5 of all-time.
I think our excitement is right where it should be for a highly rated HS player that didn't translate that to success at the next level in his 1.5 years at Texas.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think our excitement is right where it should be for a highly rated HS player that didn't translate that to success at the next level in his 1.5 years at Texas.

A lot of o-linemen and d-linemen who turn out to be great don’t do anything their first few years. Hageman was largely viewed as a bust until his junior year. It usually takes a while to excel at those positions.

A lot of o-linemen and d-linemen who turn out to be great don’t do anything their first few years. Hageman was largely viewed as a bust until his junior year. It usually takes a while to excel at those positions.
Don't disagree. He still has a lot of potential. His failures so far are just another data point to temper expectations vs. a kid straight out of high school.

You do realize that he redshirted then Texas hired Tom Hermann, who wanted a different type of player at DT, right?

3 of the 5 DTs recruited in his class left Texas due to this coaching change.

I’m not sure I’d call this a failure.

Interesting. I thought PJ didn’t recruit JC guys. Fleckites thought that was so wise, critical of past coaches for doing so, but now this is a no-brainer?

It’s rare to see a guy who wasn’t wanted at one place, maybe encouraged to leave, then make it big somewhere else.

You do realize that he redshirted then Texas hired Tom Hermann, who wanted a different type of player at DT, right?

3 of the 5 DTs recruited in his class left Texas due to this coaching change.

I’m not sure I’d call this a failure.
Yes, I do realize that the media has reported that. Maybe failure was a strong word. That said, I don't think Herman would run off a sure thing contributor. A reframe of your perspective could easily be, he couldn't stay in shape. Another data point to temper expectations would be his lack of offers.

This is all a guessing game. He may very well be Warren Sapp. Based on the facts that I have from my couch at home, I'm excited but not ecstatic. Chilli is warm, not piping hot.

Good pickup, I'll wait and see.

Interesting. I thought PJ didn’t recruit JC guys....

....then make it big somewhere else.

You really need to get over it, Fleck hater.
What’s your definition of making it big, NFL? If he becomes a solid starting, I’d say that is success.

A change of coaches and scenery can do a player a lot of good. Sometimes things just don’t mesh. That said, there could be legit motivation or attitude issues we don’t know about but that’s always the case.

From a purely physical standpoint he’s a scary man. If this works out...we just got a lot better. The other one, Schad, is an interesting offer but there must be something there the coaches like. We need depth on the DL.

Yes, I do realize that the media has reported that. Maybe failure was a strong word. That said, I don't think Herman would run off a sure thing contributor. A reframe of your perspective could easily be, he couldn't stay in shape. Another data point to temper expectations would be his lack of offers.

This is all a guessing game. He may very well be Warren Sapp. Based on the facts that I have from my couch at home, I'm excited but not ecstatic. Chilli is warm, not piping hot.

Good pickup, I'll wait and see.

I’ve read reports that he worked extremely hard to fit into Hermann’s system. It just wasn’t a fit.

The fact that he wasn’t the only DT to leave is more indicative of a system change and not personal issues.

If you have reports that suggest otherwise. I’d love to read them. Otherwise it’s just conjecture to fit your point.

Interesting. I thought PJ didn’t recruit JC guys. Fleckites thought that was so wise, critical of past coaches for doing so, but now this is a no-brainer?

It’s rare to see a guy who wasn’t wanted at one place, maybe encouraged to leave, then make it big somewhere else.

You really need to find a new college football team to follow. Clearly following the one coached by PJ Fleck isn’t any fun for you.

Nice pick ups! Welcome aboard guys! Don't be sleeping on Schad, he looks like a versatile big man who can play anywhere along the DL.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/9528805/5a029c972347950420a437e9' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

It’s got to take some wild mental gymnastics to be a big enough Gopher fan to post on Gopherhole but also hate the head coach.

I’ve read reports that he worked extremely hard to fit into Hermann’s system. It just wasn’t a fit.

The fact that he wasn’t the only DT to leave is more indicative of a system change and not personal issues.

If you have reports that suggest otherwise. I’d love to read them. Otherwise it’s just conjecture to fit your point.
We don't know why he left. Unless you have direct access to Tom Hermann. The only facts we have are that he left Texas for Juco and only has a few major offers. We also know he has the measurables and was heavily recruited out of HS.

It’s got to take some wild mental gymnastics to be a big enough Gopher fan to post on Gopherhole but also hate the head coach.

Let’s be real, PJ makes it easy to attack him. He’s a flamboyant lightning rod. If he succeeds he’ll have haters. If he loses he’ll really have a lot of haters. Has there been any coach that didn’t have detractors? Mason OMG would pick up the phone. Kill was too aw shucks. Claeys kept his head down and was portly.

Disliking the coach or starting QB XYZ is a national past time for frustrated sports fans. Sometimes it’s even deserved.

Top Bottom