NJ.com: Big Ten football early power rankings 2018 (11. Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per NJ.com:

11. MINNESOTA
The Golden Gophers went 5-7 in P.J. Fleck's first year and have recruited well. A bowl game is an attainable goal if everything falls right.

Returning production: 68 percent

Returning letter winners: 40
* Offense: 18
* Defense: 19
* Special teams: 3

Returning starters: 12
* Offense: 5
* Defense: 6
* Special teams: 1

http://www.nj.com/expo/erry-2018/05/86539d46715884/big_ten_football_early_power_r.html

Go Gophers!!

per NJ.com:

11. MINNESOTA
The Golden Gophers went 5-7 in P.J. Fleck's first year and have recruited well. A bowl game is an attainable goal if everything falls right.

Returning production: 68 percent

Returning letter winners: 40
* Offense: 18
* Defense: 19
* Special teams: 3

Returning starters: 12
* Offense: 5
* Defense: 6
* Special teams: 1

http://www.nj.com/expo/erry-2018/05/86539d46715884/big_ten_football_early_power_r.html

Go Gophers!!
This has Michigan State as #1? They might be better than last year but I want some of what this guy is drinking.

My initial thought when I started scrolling from #14 Illinois and saw Maryland at #13 was that this is one of those ultra-homer sites because they didn't have Rutgers at #13. They must really hate Maryland there in NJ.

*Edit: Spelling

My initial thought when I started scrolling from #14 Illinois and saw Maryland at #13 was that this is one of those ultra-homer sites because they didn't have Rutgers at #13. They must really hate Maryland there in NJ.

Maryland was also pretty bad last year. They may end up better than 13 this year, but that's not an unreasonable spot for them.

A bowl game is an attainable goal if everything falls right.

I don't think it takes everything going right for them to get to 6 wins. Last year's team probably gets to 6 wins with just average QB play.

So,

WI
NW
IA
PU
NE
MN
IL

I see, MN is falling off its usual 5th place perch, and they put WI & NW 1 & 2. The teams that routed MN.

1. OSU
2. MSU
3. WI
4. PSU
5. scUM
6. Iowa
7. NW
8. Purdue
9. Neb
10. Maryland
11. Gophers
12 Indiana
13. Rutgers
14. Illinois

Seems about right to me based off of last years performance and the coaching changes within the league

I agree that they probably have Maryland too low, but it's not unreasonable to predict that Rutgers is on the come-up. They won 3 Big Ten games last year (more than Maryland, Indiana, Minnesota, and Illinois) and have both a young coach and a young roster. They're not going to contend for a division or conference title anytime soon, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that they could settle into the 6th-8th best team range in the next few years if things fall right for them.

8-11 could be completely interchangeable give your particular viewpoint.

Top Bottom