UMMB to travel with the team to Nebraska!

jpc763

Reaction score
I found out from my son who will be a Sophomore that the band will travel next year to an away game at Nebraska. We live in CO so I will be road tripping it out for that game in October! Very cool that the tradition of going to another B1G stadium for a game! Go Gophers! Beat the Huskers!

Looks like the fundraising campaign raised enough money! Hopefully they can continue to do this in the years to come!

I found out from my son who will be a Sophomore that the band will travel next year to an away game at Nebraska. We live in CO so I will be road tripping it out for that game in October! Very cool that the tradition of going to another B1G stadium for a game! Go Gophers! Beat the Huskers!

Congratulations! This is long overdue. I think the last time the entire band travelled was in the late 90's if I'm not mistaken. This band needs to be seen by more than just those who attend games at TCF.

Sweet! By next year, I assume you mean next school year, so this October.

Wonderful news. IMHO, the bands and spirit squads deserve full funding under the Athletics Department.

Wonderful news. IMHO, the bands and spirit squads deserve full funding under the Athletics Department.

100% agree with you, wish the Athletics Department would support the band more. PJ seems to support the band, so maybe he'll start pushing for the band to come on road games more, especially if they win against Nebraska.

I'd find out "for sure" that the whole band is going. They've done this before, like promising they were going to Iowa 2 yrs ago. They said the entire band was going and then the trip was cancelled prior to the season due to lack of funding. I'd be willing to bet that nothing is set in stone. To the best of my recollection, the Gopher Band hasn't taken a mid-season road trip since the 1986 win up at Ann Arbor. We used to go every year, which was great. In my four years in the band, 67 - 70, we went twice to Iowa, once to Northwestern, and once (by train) to East Lansing. All were a lot of fun. I honestly don't know why we are the only band in the BIG10 to have funding difficulties when it comes to road trips. Maybe the other BIG Bands are getting funding from the Athletic Dept and we are not....this is only conjecture.

...they rely on band alumni to fund the trips. Pony up old man...[emoji41][emoji57]
I'd find out "for sure" that the whole band is going. They've done this before, like promising they were going to Iowa 2 yrs ago. They said the entire band was going and then the trip was cancelled prior to the season due to lack of funding. I'd be willing to bet that nothing is set in stone. To the best of my recollection, the Gopher Band hasn't taken a mid-season road trip since the 1986 win up at Ann Arbor. We used to go every year, which was great. In my four years in the band, 67 - 70, we went twice to Iowa, once to Northwestern, and once (by train) to East Lansing. All were a lot of fun. I honestly don't know why we are the only band in the BIG10 to have funding difficulties when it comes to road trips. Maybe the other BIG Bands are getting funding from the Athletic Dept and we are not....this is only conjecture.

To the best of my recollection, the Gopher Band hasn't taken a mid-season road trip since the 1986 win up at Ann Arbor.

It was still an every year thing when I was in the band in 1989 and 1990. We went to NW in 89 and Michigan in 90.

Happy for the band, will be a great experience for a group of students that puts in a ton of hours for the good of the University AND pays for the privilege (1 credit)

I believe the difference this time is the band did a fundraiser for this and had a donor match the donations up to 100k I believe, so I think this time we have the funds up front instead of with iowa where we were invited but needed to get the funds.

I think all the other bands in the big ten are part of the athletics department (don't quote me) while we're under the music department, so athletics doesn't feel pressured to give us money unless the team/coach pushes for it or it's for bowl game travel.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Already did

...they rely on band alumni to fund the trips. Pony up old man...[emoji41][emoji57]

In fact I purchased one of the new uniforms a few years back as a memorial to my parents who loved the band. I also led the fund raising project that bought the Big 10 flags for the band so I think I did pony up. ��

In fact I purchased one of the new uniforms a few years back as a memorial to my parents who loved the band. I also led the fund raising project that bought the Big 10 flags for the band so I think I did pony up. ��
I hope you didn't buy flags for Wisconsin or Iowa....[emoji41]
Seriously, good on ya for your support!

I was never in the marching band but I gave some money to get them new uniforms and they’ve hit me up a couple times this year for donations. I gave to a general fund so I am guessing it is used at the discretion of the band director. The band is part of the school of music which is dominated by choral music people who don’t care about the band.

Top Bottom